What breed Is my Cat?

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His name Is Alex and Is Around 5 years old, I got him at a rescue shelter when he was a kitten. His one of Four Cats.

alex3.jpg

Above is when he was a kitten.
Screenshot_20200127-215723.png

Screenshot_20200127-215702.png

Above is now.. i'm not good at taking pictures.

I believe his a Turkish Van or A Mix. I'll appreciate other people's opinions... Thanks.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alex is a handsome guy! I would describe Alex as a van pattern domestic longhair. I think he is black and white, is that correct? Or does he have tabby markings on his tail?

"Van pattern" means a mostly white cat, with color restricted to the head and tail and maybe a small body spot. The white markings come from the white spotting gene, which is the same gene that is responsible for white markings in bicolor and "tuxedo" cats. Your cat probably has two copies of the white spotting gene, because he has so much white on him, so we can guess that he inherited the white spotting gene from both of his parents. His parents might have had any amount of white, from just a small amount to a large amount.

Although "van pattern" is named after the typical markings of the Turkish Van cat, it doesn't indicate that a cat has Turkish Van ancestry. The Turkish Van cat is extremely rare, and you are extremely unlikely to find one at a shelter or on the street. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is black and white with a black and brown tail. He is a better picture of his face I took today.
IMG_20200128_164706_1.jpg

His a bit dirty as he was just outside and we live semi rural.

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are pictures of his body and tail
IMG_20200128_165438_5.jpg

The single spot he has which has a tint of brown.
IMG_20200128_165445_4.jpg

Some brown and black and white.

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His behaviour is a little weird, he is very attached to me, his active outside but sleepy inside. His very hungry alot and he likes a bath (which I dont see with our other cats we had/have.)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great pictures showing his colored spots!
From these pictures, I can see that he is really a brown tabby and white cat, not a black and white cat.
Even though he doesn't have much color on him, you can tell that he is a tabby from:
(1) the stripes on his tail​
(2) the spot on his whisker pad where you can see a bit of brown tabby markings​
(3) the brick red nose leather (black cats have black nose leather)​
(4) in the picture of his body spot, you can just barely see a brown stripe on the left with agouti (ticked) hairs.​

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I would describe him as a brown tabby and white van pattern domestic longhair. And a beautiful one, too :)
Thank you, I'm also might DNA test him as we had previous problems with fip from some of our previous cats and biological health risks.

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ill show you the results on this thread. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a previous cat with FIP.
Are you worried about specific health issues that can be detected by DNA tests?

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that you had a previous cat with FIP.
Are you worried about specific health issues that can be detected by DNA tests?
We had two cats with FIP although Alex has lived longer it's still a personal issues of mine. We had another one die by unknown circumstances which a Canadian university students had look at what happened.
DSC02226.JPG

White cat was called moufy who unfortunately died in 2015 and the grey cat was called Anne she died in 2014. (This picture was in 2011)

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also still have cats who are in their early to mid 20's. (pants and tiddles) (We got them in 1998) and we hada cat called China who got ran over and had three legs and was a wonderful cat she survived then unfortunately she got ran over again and had to be put down.
IMG_20200128_174429.jpg

Pants Is above
IMG_20200128_174514.jpg

Tiddles above
DSC01826.JPG

China above
DSC02133.JPG

Yogy (Anne's Brother) who died by unknown circumstances.
(Sorry if it's off topic)

Cbloke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the post spam I can't edit my previous posts however I looked up Turkish can and found this picture which looks alot like my cat
images.jpeg

The picture above is what I found