What Breed Is My Cat?

Bluefae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued this beauty about three weeks ago from the shelter. He was listed as domestic long hair. He is so beautiful! Fell in love with him right away. His coat feel so different. He’s huge 18lbs. Plus he has one blue eye and one green eye! Can anyone tell me what breed he might be?

Attachments

Joyloveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued this beauty about three weeks ago from the shelter. He was listed as domestic long hair. He is so beautiful! Fell in love with him right away. His coat feel so different. He’s huge 18lbs. Plus he has one blue eye and one green eye! Can anyone tell me what breed he might be?
Your cat looks Turkish Angora imo

Joyloveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe part Maine coon/Turkish Angora it's a pretty cat

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkish Angora probably, What a beautiful cat.Well done you on giving him a forever home :clapcat:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your beautiful cat as an odd-eyed white domestic longhair. He is gorgeous!

Solid white color in cats is usually due to the dominant white gene, which is fairly widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, and doesn't indicate any particular breed ancestry. Cats with dominant white can have green or gold eyes, blue eyes, or "odd eyes" like your cat (one eye blue, and one eye green or gold).

The dominant white gene cat be associated with deafness, especially in cats with blue or odd eyes. The shelter may have already tested your cat to see if he is deaf or hearing? Deafness is not really a problem for cats, but it's probably good to know whether he's deaf or not.

I am not seeing extreme features in your cat that would indicate specific breed ancestry. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds. The Turkish Angora is a slender cat with a different coat type, and is quite rare; it's extremely unlikely that your cat would have any ancestry from the Turkish Angora.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess Turkish Angora is possible but, I don't think they usually grow as large as 18lbs. The head shape isn't as triangular as a Angora either. I'm leaning more toward Siberian though they don't typically have blue eyes or are solid white which, is more an Angora trait I think. You could always try a DNA test but, I would think he is closer to a big breed cat. He's beautiful none the less.

I've always loved white cats. I had one in the past with odd eyes that I'm pretty sure was a Turkish Angora and, he was also deaf which, is not uncommon in solid white animals in general. I originally thought he may have been NFC but he only weighed 11 or 12lbs so more likely Angora.

IMG_20171204_0002.jpg
IMG_20171204_0003.jpg
IMG_20171204_0001.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sabian sabian the cat in your pictures is lovely, too! I would describe him as an odd-eyed white domestic longhair. He doesn't look like a Turkish Angora; they are more slender cats with a flatter coat.

Most longhaired cats are not any particular breed... people frequently think that a longhaired cat must be some breed, but almost all are simply longhaired domestic cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bluefae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat looks Turkish Angora imo
I was thinking that too but there’s one trait that does not match they say Turkish angoras have almond shaped eyes and his are not. Now I’m thinking main coin?

Bluefae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe part Maine coon/Turkish Angora it's a pretty cat
He is just stunning in person! I’m now thinking main coon. Because they say Turkish angoras have almond shaped eyes and his are not. I’ve never seen a white main coon!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is just stunning in person! I’m now thinking main coon. Because they say Turkish angoras have almond shaped eyes and his are not. I’ve never seen a white main coon!
The truth is there is no real way to tell without papers from a breeder. You can get a DNA test but the information is limited and it is a fairly knew process and evolving. I think it's worth doing and I done it myself. Even if your cat is purebred it doesn't mean he's going to look exactly like that breed. A show cat is not going to look like a pet quality cat even if they came from the same litter.

This came from the UC Davis website:
Why doesn't my cat look like the breeds detected?

Physical appearance is largely controlled by a small number of genes. These genes can have both recessive and dominant variants and the variants that are present determine the visible effect on physical traits seen. As a result, the presence of various breed contributors does not guarantee that the cat will look like all detected breeds - a wonder of genetic inheritance can be seen as much in people as in cats.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see things in your cat that could make me lean toward a certain breed but then again, not. He does have big round eyes like an Angora. He's white with odd eyes. An Angora trait but, not exclusive. His head shape, weight, and muzzle doesn't look Angora at all. Head shape, muzzle, body shape, and, ears remind me more of Siberian.

There are such subtle differences between the breeds it's just very hard to tell. There are some breeds that due to breeding don't even look like they did 20 years ago. A perfect example is Maine Coons. 20 yrs ago there was no such thing as a European Maine Coon which has a more feral look and a more pronounced squared muzzle. Due to breeding they are more prominent now than the so called "Traditional Maine Coon" or "Classic". Which is the American version and has a softer look. It makes no sense to me since MC's originated in the states and not Europe but, go figure. This is a pic of my MC born in 2001. Came from a line of Champions and Grand Champions and had papers from a breeder. He was typical of the look at the time.
8028c.015 (2).jpg

Here is what is typical today:

IMG_4838.JPG

Keep in mind that these cats are both pet quality. Classic MC's are bred more for CFA and European more for TICA. It's hard to find a breeder that shows and breeds for a Classic look. There are white MC's and with odd eyes though it's not common. There is a girl on the site that has a white MC with Blue eyes.

Some cats it's easier to pic out a breed lookalike but, it's still a guess. Your cat is a little more difficult. I wish I could give you more but....I can't. If it's important to you try the DNA test otherwise, just be happy he's healthy, happy and, he is a stunner!

Bluefae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The truth is there is no real way to tell without papers from a breeder. You can get a DNA test but the information is limited and it is a fairly knew process and evolving. I think it's worth doing and I done it myself. Even if your cat is purebred it doesn't mean he's going to look exactly like that breed. A show cat is not going to look like a pet quality cat even if they came from the same litter.

This came from the UC Davis website:
Why doesn't my cat look like the breeds detected?

Physical appearance is largely controlled by a small number of genes. These genes can have both recessive and dominant variants and the variants that are present determine the visible effect on physical traits seen. As a result, the presence of various breed contributors does not guarantee that the cat will look like all detected breeds - a wonder of genetic inheritance can be seen as much in people as in cats.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see things in your cat that could make me lean toward a certain breed but then again, not. He does have big round eyes like an Angora. He's white with odd eyes. An Angora trait but, not exclusive. His head shape, weight, and muzzle doesn't look Angora at all. Head shape, muzzle, body shape, and, ears remind me more of Siberian.

There are such subtle differences between the breeds it's just very hard to tell. There are some breeds that due to breeding don't even look like they did 20 years ago. A perfect example is Maine Coons. 20 yrs ago there was no such thing as a European Maine Coon which has a more feral look and a more pronounced squared muzzle. Due to breeding they are more prominent now than the so called "Traditional Maine Coon" or "Classic". Which is the American version and has a softer look. It makes no sense to me since MC's originated in the states and not Europe but, go figure. This is a pic of my MC born in 2001. Came from a line of Champions and Grand Champions and had papers from a breeder. He was typical of the look at the time.
View attachment 300104
Here is what is typical today:

View attachment 300106
Keep in mind that these cats are both pet quality. Classic MC's are bred more for CFA and European more for TICA. It's hard to find a breeder that shows and breeds for a Classic look. There are white MC's and with odd eyes though it's not common. There is a girl on the site that has a white MC with Blue eyes.

Some cats it's easier to pic out a breed lookalike but, it's still a guess. Your cat is a little more difficult. I wish I could give you more but....I can't. If it's important to you try the DNA test otherwise, just be happy he's healthy, happy and, he is a stunner!
Thank you, you were so helpful! His coat is very different than other cats I’ve had. His coat is very thick and feels like silk. You can’t see individual strand of fur it looks all together very odd. They had him listed as long haired domestic at the humane society I just felt that he was so much more. We bonded instantly.

Bluefae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess Turkish Angora is possible but, I don't think they usually grow as large as 18lbs. The head shape isn't as triangular as a Angora either. I'm leaning more toward Siberian though they don't typically have blue eyes or are solid white which, is more an Angora trait I think. You could always try a DNA test but, I would think he is closer to a big breed cat. He's beautiful none the less.

I've always loved white cats. I had one in the past with odd eyes that I'm pretty sure was a Turkish Angora and, he was also deaf which, is not uncommon in solid white animals in general. I originally thought he may have been NFC but he only weighed 11 or 12lbs so more likely Angora.

View attachment 299915 View attachment 299916 View attachment 299917
Oh he does look a lot like your cat! Not Turkish angora their eyes I guess are almond shaped. I’m leaning towards Maine coon maybe?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had him listed as long haired domestic at the humane society I just felt that he was so much more. We bonded instantly.
He is a beautiful cat and it's wonderful that you bonded quickly with him. I just want to address your comment that you felt he was "much more" than a domestic longhaired cat. Your cat doesn't need specific breed ancestry to be a beautiful and special cat. Domestic longhairs are great! There is lots of diversity in the domestic cat gene pool... domestic cats come in all sizes, colors, and shapes, and there are some absolutely stunning cats out there.

Bluefae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a beautiful cat and it's wonderful that you bonded quickly with him. I just want to address your comment that you felt he was "much more" than a domestic longhaired cat. Your cat doesn't need specific breed ancestry to be a beautiful and special cat. Domestic longhairs are great! There is lots of diversity in the domestic cat gene pool... domestic cats come in all sizes, colors, and shapes, and there are some absolutely stunning cats out there.
I’m sorry I really didn’t mean it that way. I’ve always had a cat and they’ve always been a rescue. I love him unconditionally no matter what.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's lovely! Someone might've said this, but if his fur is different (soft like a bunny maybe?) He might have Siberian ancestry! Siberians just have a different feel to em, so soft like silk, I know some.
I would call him a DLH, since we can't be sure, and a very beautiful one at that!