What Breed Is My Cat?

adimarco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please let me know what you think! I was thinking maybe balinese and siberian, but I’m not sure. Thanks!

Attachments

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her breed is beautiful! Haha.

But actually, she's a domestic longhair -- or mediumhair, if you prefer, since she's not super fluffy, but it's the same gene. Most cats (90-95%) are no particular breed.

She has point coloration, which is why she looks similar to the breeds you mentioned, but the point gene is actually widespread in the general cat population.

Others on here are better at describing specific coloring.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s beautiful! I would describe her as a blue lynx point Domestic Longhair. I think she is a nice lookalike to an oldstyle Balinese (Siberians have a rounder face), so I think it’s a possibility that she might have some Balinese ancestry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I myself would compare to a pointed siberian
Modern siberians tend to have more of a doll-alike look, not the same "wild" look as the older type has.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat! I would describe her as a blue lynx point domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many cats may not be a particular breed is a manta posted by many here but pointed cats are only in the domestic population in the west because they descend from Asian cats of point coloration most often Siamese.
To have points both parents must carry it.

She very well could be a particular breed or a mixture. She looks possibly Ragdoll.
Pretty cat.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many cats may not be a particular breed is a manta posted by many here but pointed cats are only in the domestic population in the west because they descend from Asian cats of point coloration most often Siamese.
To have points both parents must carry it.

She very well could be a particular breed or a mixture. She looks possibly Ragdoll.
Pretty cat.
Yes, but having a Siamese (or other purebred) ancestor dozens if not hundreds of generations back doesn't make a domestic pointed cat that breed. Recent genetic studies have shown that, at least in the US and the UK, 90-95% of cats don't have any close breed ancestry, so it would be inaccurate to identify a pointed cat with no pedigree as a particular breed. (Identifying them as such can also increase vet bills, by the way.)