What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to crack my brain which breed this little  3 months old darling falls under and i hope you all can help me. The owner whom i got it from said that its purebreed British Shorthair but i have a feeling its not possible as its not showing signs of one( physically mostly)? 

The owner has a 1 year old adult from the same parents that gave birth to the little kitten i got from him. He claims that the kitten will grow and look the same as its brother.

Would appreciate all expert opinions
A lovely kitten but absolutely nothing like a British Shorthair.  It's a domestic shorthair e.g. a shorthair of unknown parentage and no particular breed, and looks like it's a seal tabby-point.  The older cat is a seal tabby-point bicolour - it has white feed.  However you can just see a black pad on it's back foot.  Seal is genetically black, but modified by the pointed gene which is a form of partial albinoism.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Craig is no particular breed. She is a domestic shorthair, black and white bicolor, also known as a "tuxedo cat" because she looks like she is wearing a tiny suit!
Your little orphan will almost definitely have long hair. With a short nose and a lot of fluff, he may well have some Persian in his background. He's not as extreme as many Persians are, but a Persian parent is not out of the question.
Can't see the short nose myself.  A very cute kitten though!

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are from the same litter I would say they have different fathers. they just look like domestics to me too.cute photo.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he sure is not a purebred British Shorthair!  He's like the opposite of that,  except for being shorthair.     His head shape and rather lanky body looks like he could have some Siamese or closely related breed . 

... and he has the pointed pattern  ( where the most desnse  color/ pattern is on the "points"-- the face, ears, legs, tail and scrotum.)  that originally came from cats of Southeast Asia,  and was spread very far away to places like Europe and America, due to Siamese cats that were imported to those countries,  and then ended up mating with the local cats and passing down the genes for this pattern.  So  he would have some Siamese ancestry.   It can be difficult to know how recent it was.   If you live in a country where this is a typical  head shape .     But this being an international forum ,  I don't know if this head shape is more typical of the cats there anyway... in that case it would even harder to know how much Siamese he had.     He is a cool looking cat.    HIs pattern name is called Seal Tabby Point. Someone mentioned Colorpoint Shorthair but that is just the name that one registry  (CFA)  gave to Siamese in point colors and patterns except for the four natural colors --Seal point, Blue Point, Chocolate Point  and Lilac Point.   The Canadian Cat Association followed CFA on that  but everyone else in the world, including the other main U.S. based international registry, woudld
Would appreciate all expert opinions

Last edited by a moderator:

manizheh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is a good size for three months. I'm pretty sure british short hair are not stripey. Unless you are certain of the pedigree it could be that there is a little of another breed that has snuck in.

so probably mostly british short hair. and definitely all beautiful.  

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
British shorthairs can be various colors and patterns.   They are most famous in self (solid) blue.  but they could come in tabby.  However the type of this cat is so obviously not  British Shorthair, and he certainly does not look like he is mostly British Shorthair..   they have a big round head, short face, heavy boning,  rather cobby body etc.   Everything different from this cat.

So the person who claimed he is a purebred British Shorthair is either very confused or dishonest about the breed. . So it is very unlikely he's a "purebred" of any breed. 

but he is a very handsome cat.   I really like his looks.   

nadiana ally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all the kind opinions.

I had the feeling he was mixed of something too (Siamese likely?) since he obviously doesn't look like the usual British Shorthair Kitten(chubby). Nonetheless, he is very loud, extremely playful and a very intelligent kitten indeed. I did stumble into a few websites where the BSH kinda..look a little like his 1year old brother. I am still not certain. The actual owner just passed me the Daddy Cat and the mummy(at the corner) pic and I thought I did share with you all. Many thanks for your opinions!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nadiana, they are pretty and handsome, and in a way they are purebred as both parents seems to be from the same stock. But the ONLY possible british in them is IF their former owner had been a british gentleman.   (man or woman).   Yes, in this way they would be, in a matter of speaking, British Purebreds.   :)

Sorry, i dont recognize the breed me either. 

Speculating, one possibility is the "breed" is usually not pointed. And them here, having got pointed, gets on somewhat different looks.  The point gene doubled, is quite strong and decides quite a lot the outer appearance, not only the pattern.  Not pointed, they would perhaps be easier to identyfy,  IF they are purebred of some sort.

Still way too sleek to be from British purebreed.  So lets forget the british, lets think on the more probable alternatives.   I would be happy to bring them home, so to speak.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure british short hair are not stripey. Unless you are certain of the pedigree it could be that there is a little of another breed that has snuck in.

so probably mostly british short hair. and definitely all beautiful.  
This is nothing about this cat that is anything like a british shorthair cat - it's completely the wrong shape and coat texture.

However genuine BSH come in all sorts of colours and patterns including all the tabby pattens of ticked, spotted, striped and classic.
So the person who claimed he is a purebred British Shorthair is either very confused or dishonest about the breed. . So it is very unlikely he's a "purebred" of any breed.
Agreed.

Hopefully the parents are now both neutered.  If they look a lot like each other it's possible they are brother and sister.

paowee martinez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Here's a photo of my Cat We just adopted from a friend who rescues cats and dogs
well she also has a sister who looks just like her. i'm thinking she looks like a bengal.

What breed is she or is she like?

here's a video of our cat :)

Please help me so more or less i know what type of breed she is or is likely related to.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of the two cats above are tabby domestic shorthairs. Well over 90% of cats are domestics - cats of no breed. Can't see what pattern either is.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely girl, and so good of you to take her in.

l think she'll be happy once she can get out of that wire-bottomed cage. She looks super friendly, congratulations on your new pet.

paowee martinez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup where just keeping her inside there to dry up a bit and Eat :) because at that time she's not used to the dogs in the house.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like most cats she's no particular breed - suspect she's a domestic longhair with a nice fluffy tail.  Her colour is tortie and white, and she's got the Van pattern of colour on her ears and a bit on her head, and (I suspect) on her tail.

She's a pretty girl.

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she used to have a racoon tail when she was a kitten but the colors merged, she is also VERY tiny, I supect that she might have some munchkin in here

Status
Not open for further replies.