What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bellota, we want to see more good picts, not least of head and eyes, to have any chance to see.

Although it is true what Oriental says. Chances are VERY heavy against him being a real Russian Blue.

Grey "blue" domestics arent very unusual, and some looks even almost somewhat alike RB.

Good luck!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's some of the same confusion that leads people to wonder if their pointed cats are Siamese... the color is just so striking that you have a hard time believing that it wasn't created deliberately.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mom, pic 1+4, has sooner a Van-pattern,  so sooner a Turkish Van look-alike.

The pattern not perfect, but with these lenghy hairs, efter a few beers and on the small wee hours of a late night, you perhaps could talk me over into she is an unregistered Turkish Van.    :)

You dont need any fancy combination Birma and Siamese - Birman is by themselves pointed.

The brothers have somewhat similiar, but different patterns, and in three colors, black, brown and white,

I shall pass for the moment with calling theirs pattern.   :)

Observe you do have some sort of misunderstanding.  The names you use, are breeds.  So you cant say the mom is a  Birma and the son is a Snowshoe.  

But you can say the mom is a little look alike a Birma, but the son a little look alike a Snowshoe.

Or have the patter of look like....

Good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mom, pic 1+4, has sooner a Van-pattern,  so sooner a Turkish Van look-alike.

The pattern not perfect, but with these lenghy hairs, efter a few beers and on the small wee hours of a late night, you perhaps could talk me over into she is an unregistered Turkish Van.    :)

You dont need any fancy combination Birma and Siamese - Birman is by themselves pointed.

The brothers have somewhat similiar, but different patterns, and in three colors, black, brown and white,

I shall pass for the moment with calling theirs pattern.   :)

Observe you do have some sort of misunderstanding.  The names you use, are breeds.  So you cant say the mom is a  Birma and the son is a Snowshoe.  

But you can say the mom is a little look alike a Birma, but the son a little look alike a Snowshoe.

Or have the patter of look like....

Good luck!

gavin1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello. i got my tuxedo cat from a pet store that only adopts out rescued kittens.

they put on his application that he was a domestic short hair cat. you'll see from the images on my account that he's not a short haired cat. i think he's medium haired. is that possible? i've only heard of long and short haired cats. his coat is super silky soft, hardly sheds, never mats, starting to turn brown especially in his underbelly (a friend has an angora and the feel of their coat is similar but my boy is not an angora). he has furry toes and he doesn't seem to have dense coat except on his plume-like tail where the furminator works wonders. everywhere else on his body it's not worth it to brush with that. He seems to have only two layers of fur so i just use a comb once a week. you can see the two layers of hair in his photos. he sometimes has a lion's mane and other times he doesn't. it's very perplexing. he is now 6 months and i've heard some cat's coat continues to grow for up to 2 years. the only reason i ask is because i'm curious as to future grooming. thanks in advance and apologies if this is the incorrect thread to ask this in. i'm a newbie ;)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh he's a handsome boy! And looks very intelligent too!  You forgot to tell us his name lol.

Yes, he would be considered a domestic longhair.  There are only short and long hair classifications.  You can tell by his poofy tail which he is.

Keep the grooming up, all cats benefit from it but with his longer coat he'll need it more.  Not sure if fur keeps growing or not, but I do know our DLH kitty's "mane seemed more full in the winter.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite a few longhairs lose most of their long coat for summer and apart from a slightly fluffy tail look like the longer sort of shorthair cats, so if you adopted him last summer that might be how come the description was wrong.  No doubt he's a domestic longhair, and a lovely cat.

sammythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My niece has a cat like this, I kind of thought of it as a mixed breed, but when I made attempts to find out, he's actually got some Burmese in him though he does have a face of a Siamese, even though he's all grey, I thought Burmese were only black. Anyway CC has proved to be a gem of a cat, a bit mad, but boy is he big, he weighs about 16lbs and loads of  fun.

jacobh266

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3 years ago I got this kitten from a friend. I had no idea the breed and I've never been able to figure it out. She has had a few litters in her time and she's had some beautiful kittens of many different colours. Orange,white,black,multicoloured,brown she's even had a Russian blue. They had outstanding colours and patterns.Not one kitten would ever be the same. Now I know the farther has always been the same and she hasn't been mix breeding. The farther is a beautiful creamy Tom cat that lives down the road. Now I've kept a adorable little black and white kitten from her recent litter. Her name is Craig. Such a beautiful cat. I've attached one photo of the mother and a few of the baby. Can anyone tell me the breed at all? Any ideas? It would be a really big help! Please somebody help!!

Last edited:

tinykim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have recently adopted a little kitten who was abandoned. The vets think he is around 7 weeks old. He is pure white with gorgeous blue eyes (not deaf) he is so loving, affectionate and intelligent. I wondered if anyone could help me determine a breed for him? Or is it too early to tell? Thanks

nadiana ally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to crack my brain which breed this little  3 months old darling falls under and i hope you all can help me. The owner whom i got it from said that its purebreed British Shorthair but i have a feeling its not possible as its not showing signs of one( physically mostly)? 

The owner has a 1 year old adult from the same parents that gave birth to the little kitten i got from him. He claims that the kitten will grow and look the same as its brother.

Would appreciate all expert opinions

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Craig is no particular breed. She is a domestic shorthair, black and white bicolor, also known as a "tuxedo cat" because she looks like she is wearing a tiny suit!

Your little orphan will almost definitely have long hair. With a short nose and a lot of fluff, he may well have some Persian in his background. He's not as extreme as many Persians are, but a Persian parent is not out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.