What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My Tabby just had a baby would its fur (tiger stripes) be a description or a bleed
Tiger stripes, or tabby, is a description.  There is no breed named Tabby.  Tabby is a very common pattern, as the ancestor of our tame cats were tabbies themselves.

The "problem" is, there are many different tabby patterns, so also, there are different ways to name them...  I myself Im no good at it...

Have a couple of good pic here if you want. Im sure somebody of our forumists will soon write which exactly of the tabby types it is, and exactly what color.

Good luck!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Tabby just had a baby would its fur (tiger gtripes) be a description or a bleed
If your kitten has stripes that will tell you he has a tabby- patterned coat. A description, not a breed. If that is your little orange kitty in your avatar pic he is adorable! He is a domestic shorthair, orange tabby.

I hope he and mom are doing well

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea mom and him are doing well if you look at mom he looks nothing like her except she does have alittle orange in her but he looks like dad and I don't know who dad is cause I didn't even know she was pregnant when I got her.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy is very handsome. He has a beautiful shade of blue eyes. like a sort of pale periwinkle color. His pattern is Cream Tabby Point. ( or if you prefer, another name for it is Cream Lynx Point).
He's probably mostly descended from random bred cats. I would not think of Balinese as a comparison because to me he definitely looks shorthair, but he has a thick , kind of plush coat. so neither of those are like a Bali. ( Look at the tail. it is not a big fluffy tail like a longhair cat.) As Stefan says the pointed pattern did come originally from Siamese, but the gene for it has been spread into the general population of cats, and the Siamese ancestors are often many, many generations back -- plus it could also have been passed down via other breeds who themself got the pattern from Siamese -- like Himalayan Persian or Ragdoll. ).

Crossed eyes are more common in cats with this pattern. Something is a bit crossed in the wiring of their vision. It doesn't seem to cause them a big problem, although they would not have as good depth perception as most cats, because they block out the input from one "channel" so that they don't see double.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea mom and him are doing well if you look at mom he looks nothing like her except she does have alittle orange in her but he looks like dad and I don't know who dad is cause I didn't even know she was pregnant when I got her.
Glad to hear mom and kitten are fine. Even if he doesn't look a lot like the Mom, he got his orange color from her, from the little bit of orange she has. boy kittens get the gene that determines whether their fur color has black-based or red-based pigment, only from their mother. If the mom has BOTH red-based and black-based pigment, she can give either one to a kitten.

aenge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone

This is Chance, my (almost) 3 year old feline friend who was determined to be a Domestic shorthair by my local SPCA. I never had any questions about that until a guest I had over said that Chance's profile was unique and indicative of a certain breed characteristic, unfortunately the guest could not recall any details or names. I'm hoping someone here could support or deny that claim and give me any  additional information. If not, maybe you can just enjoy his cute little face 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS! I don't have a different breed description but I am enjoying his cute little face
. I love his creamy color too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not think of Balinese as a comparison because to me he definitely looks shorthair, but he has a thick , kind of plush coat. so neither of those are like a Bali. ( Look at the tail. it is not a big fluffy tail like a longhair cat.)
I myself wouldnt say he definitely looks shorthair, not on the photo taken diagonally from behind. And Balineses arent very longhaired...

But looking and thinking once again, he isnt more longhaired than my Muskis. Who, although rather longhaired on belly for a Russian Blue, is still approved as shorthaired, and even deemed Champion...

So  I must admit, you have right. I was too quick there, I got too eager.   Tx for your second opinion!   :)

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He reminds me of my kitten in the face cause he has the exact same markings so thanks for giving me a glimps of what he will look like oh and just for the record we have came up with a name for our little kitten. His name is Tigger.

jillian111395

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is my baby girl Bella, we rescued her after our neighbors left her after they were evicted from their home. she is pretty small and has a petite face, she has long hair and is pretty fluffy. she is very cuddly and loves attention (:

lokitaopd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Hello I'm new to this website and thank you all in advance for your help! As ypu can see, my cat is a kinda furry but kinda very big cat, but not a fat one. They bought it "cheap" in a pet shop without any indication of pedigree, and then gave it to me as a gift! He's a male, really caring and loves staying with any kind of people or pets, a very friendly, intelligent and obedient cat! do you know if he's any breed in special? thank you!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, no special breed. Most cats aren't, though. This one is a brown mackerel tabby, just like my cat Tiny. It is common for males to grow rather large; I agree, he doesn't look fat to me, either--he's big, long, and fluffy.

Do you think the pet shop might have been adopting out cats for a shelter? The PetSmart in my town does that. The shelter sends the cats over, and they spend a few days in cages displaying their cuteness to people who visit the store. Then you take them home for an adoption fee. Often they already have their shots, and they are usually already neutered too unless they're young kittens.

Brown tabby is one of the most common cat colors, and also probably the original color that cats had when they were first domesticated. The wildcat from which all our cats most likely descend is a brown tabby. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Callista, although if you Lokita want to compare him with some breed so I think a little look alike a Maine Coon, not least the detail of these extra hairy ears   :).

You got a very pretty gift.   :)

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

bellota

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He comes from spca, found him on street with 3 weeks old real sick, now he is part of our family and everybody says that im a russian blue, what do you think?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genuine pedigree Russian Blues are rare cats.  Like over 90% of cats he's no particular breed.  He's a domestic shorthair, the colour is blue self e.g. the same colour all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.