What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kloure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's a beautiful girl but looks a bit thin, perhaps you could increase her daily food intake?
I've only had her for a few days, so she's still filling out a little.  I don't know anything about her background other than the fact that I got her from a shelter.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any tortie in that DSH classic brown tabby cat? What are you others seeing that I'm not?
The second photo--there are some red spots along her back, I think.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had her for a few days, so she's still filling out a little.  I don't know anything about her background other than the fact that I got her from a shelter.
Oh that would explain it then. A steady diet of good canned food will fill her out in no time. We have a terrific nutrition section, should you need any help.

So congratulations are in order, for both of you! To you, on your new family member, to her for getting her forever home!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks a little like an Oriental, esp on the second photo.

May I ask, Nabila, where do you live?

Welcome to our Forums!

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really like an Oriental - they are far more ET-like.  His ears are too small and too upright, and nose is too short.

But he is a ticked tabby - unusual - and a really cute kitten.  He's a domestic short-hair, which means he's a shorthair cat of no particular breed.  The vast majority of cats don't have any particular breed in them at all.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nabila, that is one very cute kitten. His pattern is Red Ticked Tabby. I would be interested to know where you ( and the kitten!) are located too. Most cats aren't really classified as breeds, but there's some difference in cats from different regions. and he does not seem quite like a typical Western domestic shorthair to me. looks more like a type from the Mediterranean / Middle East or Asia. He is not nearly so extreme looking as an Oriental, but he does look like he might turn out to have a body type that's called "foreign" in the cat fancy.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks kind of scared in a lot of those photos. Is this his first day in a new home, or is he just freaked out by camera flashes? :)

You know, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually seen a red ticked tabby before. Where I am, they're quite rare--most red cats are mackerel tabbies, a few classic tabbies. I've seen one or two brown ticked tabbies, but no reds.

nabila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there.. thanx for the reply.. Pookie said thank u for finding him cute :) Well u guessed it right, we are from Bangladesh (in Asia). I saw his mother.. she is a local cat and does not have the tabby marks..  i think his dad has some foreign element in him ;).. 
I have him for a little more than 2 weeks now, and we have bonded well already :) He started linking my hands and face recently :)

nabila

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and yes 2 of the three photos were taken right after his arrival in his new home. so he was very scared..

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ticked tabby pattern is more common in the cats of Asia than in the cats of Europe. so I guess that was another clue along with a little hint I thought I saw in his body and head type.
It sounds like he is settling in and making himself at home and has definitely bonded with you -- he must know you are his family member since he is "grooming" you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
VegetaBurger, Brazil.  Your cats are both shorthaired domestic, and have essentially the same pattern, Black and White (or brown and white, I not sure with my old screen). Such two colored are sometimes called for Bicolor, in the cat fanciers vocabulary.  As I understand, they are also sometimes called for Calico.

VegetaBurgers may also be called for Tuxedo. - its like he had a nice jacket and white shirt under.

Brazils possibly for Van-pattern.  The van pattern is nice on the head, but too much black on the back to be perfect, I do mention it IF somebody calls him for van - patterned.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nabila, are such cats as Pookie, with his looks, common there in Bangladesh?  If so, it would be nice if some group of breeders, in Bangladesh or elsewhere, did breed on them, and registered in them as the Bangladesh cat, or the Bangladesh Oriental.  That would be swell!

Or is Pookie unusual looking also in Bangladesh?

Last edited:

sleepingsiren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
SleepingSiren. Whow, that was a piece of a handsome boy! Grandiose even!

OK, if we shall compare him with some breed.  Perhaps a balinese, who are longhaired (semilonghaired if you want) siameses. Balineses tend to have less pronounciated muzzles than modern siameses, so I think we can press him in there.   As a somewhat look alike.

Funny it is easier to see he is pointed on the photo as kitten, the masque as adult isnt so clearly visible.

So his mom was pointed herself too?  It is  enough his father was a carrier of the point gene. If so, he could look whatever. Although he was probably a carrier of longhair gene too.

Point + carrier gives half the kittens pointed, half carriers, with whatever looks (probably most alike the carrier parent).

So these pointed  "siamese-mixes"  do carry the point gene doubled, butguite many of their ancestry to a real siamese may be 20-30 generations back...

Good luck!

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Tabby just had a baby would its fur (tiger gtripes) be a description or a bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.