What breed is my Bun-Bun?

Thisfailmexican

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I randomly found a cat one day and he has been my best friend ever since. Bun-Bun is a very stocky cat and very vocal. He can be nice to other cats but also aggressive with others. He's very loving to humans and kind of reminds me of a dog. He loves belly rubs and will come when called 20200217_145155.jpg
20190309_173226.jpg
Snapchat-1496439719.jpg

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m very, very fond of Japanese bobtail’s! Bun-Bun looks like one, but it’s hard to tell. Being stocky and bigger seems more like a Manx. Japanese bob tails are a bit smaller with longer back legs than front. And mine stayed playful and kitten like as old as 12-13yrs. I must say, Bun-Bun is a very beautiful cat with striking features ❤. I’m curious though about his tail; is it straight inside or does it feel like the tail is “curly”?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thisfailmexican

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
I’m very, very fond of Japanese bobtail’s! Bun-Bun looks like one, but it’s hard to tell. Being stocky and bigger seems more like a Manx. Japanese bob tails are a bit smaller with longer back legs than front. And mine stayed playful and kitten like as old as 12-13yrs. I must say, Bun-Bun is a very beautiful cat with striking features ❤. I’m curious though about his tail; is it straight inside or does it feel like the tail is “curly”?
Thank you for your reply! I kind of thought a Japanese Bobtail too but I wasn't sure. I felt what tail he does have (much to his displeasure), and it does feel like it curls inside a bit. I also managed to get a side profile picture of him standing too if it might help. He was moving a bit though so the picture is blurry.
20200217_183526.jpg

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, I randomly found a cat one day and he has been my best friend ever since. Bun-Bun is a very stocky cat and very vocal. He can be nice to other cats but also aggressive with others. He's very loving to humans and kind of reminds me of a dog. He loves belly rubs and will come when calledView attachment 322868View attachment 322866View attachment 322865
The last photo of Bun-Bun looks like a Japanese bobtail. The other side view (the one where he on the move) of Bun-Bun looks more Manx to me. Manx kitty are called, affectionately, “rumpy’s” because the tail can be nothing but a little stump. A Japanese bobtail has a tail with a normal amount of tailbone’s, just in miniature. Because you feel tail makes me wonder if he’s got some Japanese bobtail in him. I could put my finger in the “curl” of my JB. I named her “Cotton” because she had a cotton tail like a rabbit 🐇 lol

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cat can be born without a tail, doesn't make them a purebred. He is absolutely adorable. I found one once also with no tail and he would bunny hop when he ran. Love them. He is an adorable domestic shorthair. He is lucky to have you!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any cat can be born without a tail, doesn't make them a purebred. He is absolutely adorable. I found one once also with no tail and he would bunny hop when he ran. Love them. He is an adorable domestic shorthair. He is lucky to have you!
I'd agree with that. He's gorgeous! What a sweet, expressive face he has. I love his name too. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bun-Bun is so cute! :) I would describe Bun-Bun as a red tabby bobtailed domestic shorthair.

Tail mutations appear to be a fairly frequent type of mutation in cats, and are not limited to just a few breeds. Short tails and kinked tails appear in cats all over the world, and can be caused by many different gene mutations. Some tail mutations are associated with particular breeds (such as Manx, Japanese Bobtail, American Bobtail, Kurilian Bobtail, etc.); other tail mutations have been found that are not associated with any breed. I myself have encountered a tail mutation that appeared spontaneously in a line of Chartreux cats and produced short and kinked tails. Short and kinked tails can also be due to injury or unknown causes. So, tail shape by itself isn't a very strong clue to a cat's breed ancestry.

Apart from the tail, Bun-Bun really doesn't resemble a Japanese Bobtail, as this breed is much more slender and leggy, with a more triangular shape to the head and larger ears that are more upright on the head. A more similar breed to Bun-Bun would be the American Bobtail breed, which is a very muscular and powerful cat native to the United States. It's difficult to say how likely it is that Bun-Bun might be related to the American Bobtail breed, however. I'm not aware of a genetic test at this time that would be able to determine whether Bun-Bun shares the American Bobtail tail mutation; it's possible, but it is also quite possible that Bun-Bun has a new mutation that is not shared with any breed. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixtures of breeds.

In any case, Bun-Bun is a lovely cat with his own special look! Enjoy him :)

Thisfailmexican

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
The last photo of Bun-Bun looks like a Japanese bobtail. The other side view (the one where he on the move) of Bun-Bun looks more Manx to me. Manx kitty are called, affectionately, “rumpy’s” because the tail can be nothing but a little stump. A Japanese bobtail has a tail with a normal amount of tailbone’s, just in miniature. Because you feel tail makes me wonder if he’s got some Japanese bobtail in him. I could put my finger in the “curl” of my JB. I named her “Cotton” because she had a cotton tail like a rabbit 🐇 lol
I've no idea what he is, he came from the neighbors stray and he was born like that. Your little kitty sounds so cute. His name is Bun-Bun because his tail is a little poof like a bunny.

Thisfailmexican

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
I can definitely see that he might have also just gotten a recissive gene. Thank you for the compliments to him. Thank you so commenting!

Thisfailmexican

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
I'd agree with that. He's gorgeous! What a sweet, expressive face he has. I love his name too. :)
He does have a very expressive face! Most of the time he looks kind of angry but I've seen just about every emotion on him. Thank you for the compliments to him.

Thisfailmexican

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
Bun-Bun is so cute! :) I would describe Bun-Bun as a red tabby bobtailed domestic shorthair.

Tail mutations appear to be a fairly frequent type of mutation in cats, and are not limited to just a few breeds. Short tails and kinked tails appear in cats all over the world, and can be caused by many different gene mutations. Some tail mutations are associated with particular breeds (such as Manx, Japanese Bobtail, American Bobtail, Kurilian Bobtail, etc.); other tail mutations have been found that are not associated with any breed. I myself have encountered a tail mutation that appeared spontaneously in a line of Chartreux cats and produced short and kinked tails. Short and kinked tails can also be due to injury or unknown causes. So, tail shape by itself isn't a very strong clue to a cat's breed ancestry.

Apart from the tail, Bun-Bun really doesn't resemble a Japanese Bobtail, as this breed is much more slender and leggy, with a more triangular shape to the head and larger ears that are more upright on the head. A more similar breed to Bun-Bun would be the American Bobtail breed, which is a very muscular and powerful cat native to the United States. It's difficult to say how likely it is that Bun-Bun might be related to the American Bobtail breed, however. I'm not aware of a genetic test at this time that would be able to determine whether Bun-Bun shares the American Bobtail tail mutation; it's possible, but it is also quite possible that Bun-Bun has a new mutation that is not shared with any breed. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixtures of breeds.

In any case, Bun-Bun is a lovely cat with his own special look! Enjoy him :)
Thank you for such a great comment. It was very informative. I think I can finally agree he isn't a Japanese bobtail because he is a very stocky cat. I think once I get some money in the bank I might pay for a DNA test to finally see what he is. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that down!