What breed is my black kitty?!

Ichabod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Meet Ichabod! My husband and I adopted him in October (hence the name - Halloween themed!) And I am soo curious as to what his breed is! I keep hearing different options do wanted all of your opinions! I hope you can help us out! I'll post photos of him as a kitty and now (maybe too many photos lol!) Thank you! :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ichabod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! And for personality traits he is very vocal, affectionate, playful and loves to play fetch!

Ichabod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beautiful, perfect Halloween kitten. I would say your handsome man is a domestic longhair.
Thanks you so much! He is a very handsome little fella! I was thinking domestic long hair but thought I would ask just in case! :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ichabod is super cute! I would also describe his breed as domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed, so we call them domestic shorthair or domestic longhair, based on coat length.

How old do you think he is now? I'm curious about his exact coloring. He appears to be mostly black with some lighter fuzzy undercoat. It's normal for black cats, especially longhairs and kittens, to have some grayish or brownish undercoat, especially in the puffier parts of the coat such as around the ruff... so it's likely that he is indeed a solid black cat (and may become more solid black with age). But in a couple of your pictures, the undercoat looks a bit whitish. When you part the hairs and look at his fur close to the skin, what does it look like? If the root of the hairs are white or almost white near the skin, he might possibly be black smoke in color.
I'll post photos of him as a kitty and now (maybe too many photos lol!)
t's not possible to post too many photos here... everyone on this site loves to look at cute kitty photos, so feel free to post as many as you like :)

Ichabod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ichabod is super cute! I would also describe his breed as domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed, so we call them domestic shorthair or domestic longhair, based on coat length.

How old do you think he is now? I'm curious about his exact coloring. He appears to be mostly black with some lighter fuzzy undercoat. It's normal for black cats, especially longhairs and kittens, to have some grayish or brownish undercoat, especially in the puffier parts of the coat such as around the ruff... so it's likely that he is indeed a solid black cat (and may become more solid black with age). But in a couple of your pictures, the undercoat looks a bit whitish. When you part the hairs and look at his fur close to the skin, what does it look like? If the root of the hairs are white or almost white near the skin, he might possibly be black smoke in color.

t's not possible to post too many photos here... everyone on this site loves to look at cute kitty photos, so feel free to post as many as you like :)
Thank you so much for your response!! Towards his root it is more of a white! I also see some brown in his coat at points too! I am very intrigued on how he will look once he is older! Right now he is about 5-6 months! So not sure how big he will get! :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a video of a black smoke cat. If he has white at the root of each hair, he might turn out similar to this. It's also possible that the light shading is just a phase he is going through, and his coat may darken as he matures. You might just have to wait and see :)

Ichabod

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for that visual so I have an idea how he might look! We shall see! 😍

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Meet Ichabod! My husband and I adopted him in October (hence the name - Halloween themed!) And I am soo curious as to what his breed is! I keep hearing different options do wanted all of your opinions! I hope you can help us out! I'll post photos of him as a kitty and now (maybe too many photos lol!) Thank you! :)
Ohhh hes a breed of cuteness...
But im not sure about his breed...;):)