what breed is louis?

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat called louis, he is 6 months old. I bought him 4 months ago at a pet shop which sells expensive pets/ retired show pets. He wasn't a retired show cat of course but he caught my eye because he was the a tiny rat-like kitten in a place meant for former show cats, so naturally I immediately fell in love with him. The owner told me that a show cat accidentally came in contact with another cat and she got pregnant and gave birth to a litter of kittens. The kittens weren't qualified as show quality since their father was unknown and they were most likely mixed kittens, so they were sold to the pet shop. That is all i know about him. So now i have bought this kitten and im curious to what it really is. What breed do you guys think he is?
20201018_104835.jpg

20201020_182833.jpg

20201020_182741.jpg

20201031_223145.jpg

20201104_195431.jpg
20201126_171225.jpg

20201220_000259.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very cute! He looks very happy to live with you, too. :) Whatever his story is, you are lucky to have each other.

I would describe your cat as a blue domestic shorthair. From looking at him, we can tell that at least one of his parents was shorthaired, and both parents carried the recessive genes for solid (non-tabby) and dilute (blue). Other than that, he doesn't have a close enough resemblance to any specific breed to tell us about the breed of his mother.

To be honest, the story that the pet shop owner told you sounds a bit unlikely to me. Although "oops" litters are always possible, if the mother cat had indeed been a show cat, her owner would definitely have known what breed she was... and the pet owner probably would have been advertising the kittens as "half X" instead of just telling a story about their mother being "a show cat." You could try asking the pet shop owner for more information.

What country are you located in? That might help to make sense of the pet shop owner's story, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's very cute! He looks very happy to live with you, too. :) Whatever his story is, you are lucky to have each other.

I would describe your cat as a blue domestic shorthair. From looking at him, we can tell that at least one of his parents was shorthaired, and both parents carried the recessive genes for solid (non-tabby) and dilute (blue). Other than that, he doesn't have a close enough resemblance to any specific breed to tell us about the breed of his mother.

To be honest, the story that the pet shop owner told you sounds a bit unlikely to me. Although "oops" litters are always possible, if the mother cat had indeed been a show cat, her owner would definitely have known what breed she was... and the pet owner probably would have been advertising the kittens as "half X" instead of just telling a story about their mother being "a show cat." You could try asking the pet shop owner for more information.

What country are you located in? That might help to make sense of the pet shop owner's story, too.
The mother cats owner did obviously know his cats breed but he was not the one who came to the store to sell the kittens and the person he sent to sell them wasn't a breeder himself and didn't know much about the kittens. His story might be made up though. The pet shop owner told me that my kitten looks like a chartreux mix but that might have been a way to get me more interested. Either way i love my baby boy and im glad that his litter mates and him were adopted instead of being put down.

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mother cats owner did obviously know his cats breed but he was not the one who came to the store to sell the kittens and the person he sent to sell them wasn't a breeder himself and didn't know much about the kittens. His story might be made up though. The pet shop owner told me that my kitten looks like a chartreux mix but that might have been a way to get me more interested. Either way i love my baby boy and im glad that his litter mates and him were adopted instead of being put down.
oh and im from france

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that you have him, too!

I think it's quite possible that the story could have been made up. Since the Chartreux breed is well known in France, people tend to call any blue cat a "Chartreux mix" or "Chartreux type," even if its parents are not Chartreux. Also, dilute (blue) is recessive... so in the few actual cases that I know where a Chartreux show cat actually did get out accidentally and was bred by a neighborhood cat, the kittens didn't turn out to be blue in color like the Chartreux breed... they were other colors like black, tabby, black and white, and even calico.

Unless you learn more from the pet shop owner, my best guess would be that your cat is a blue domestic shorthair -- which is a perfectly fine thing to be! Domestic shorthairs are great cats, too :)

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love your kitty! He looks similar to my Juno, who is a domestic short hair. I like to call her a Maltese, because it sounds fancy; but it just means a gray kitty of any or no breed.

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love your kitty! He looks similar to my Juno, who is a domestic short hair. I like to call her a Maltese, because it sounds fancy; but it just means a gray kitty of any or no breed.
aw from your pfp juno looks adorable<33 i think im gonna start calling my louis a maltese too haha