What breed is he?

fayelayland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cat frank. He is very big and lean with lots of skin under his belly. He is very vocal and loving but also very very playful and fiesty. loves to go outside a lot and catches quite a few things... but he is also quite a scared cat with people he doesn't know. Got him from the local RSPCA and he is currently believed to be around 7 years old. Just wanting any clarification of his breed??

he was listed as a silver tabby cat, however we believe he might be something else or a mix as his personality is quite different and he is very muscular and long with no fat at all (and eats a lot).

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Tabby is a coat pattern, not a breed. The silver means the roots of each hair are white.

Your kitty is considered a Domestic Shorthair, no particular breed. His tabby markings are very striking. Gorgeous cat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His colour is black silver, silvers come in all colours.

without any documents he’s a DSH, he may have some Bengal in him going by his expression, but he’s by no means pedigree or a mix for certain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fayelayland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your responses and information. But yes, we know he is no pedigree and now understand he is considered a DSH, just often wonder where he came from and what his parents might have looked like!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have ever seen a tabby with a coat pattern like his. He certainly looks like he has Bengal in him, what a gorgeous boy.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Mia has spots like this, except she's golden. Most likely a domestic short hair. Tabby, silver/white. Very very pretty

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pet quality cat from a breeder without papers its impossible to tell but I would say the latter. These are cats sold as their markings dont come up to show standard.
Pet quality cats are still sold with all paperwork, unless from a byb, registered breeders are required to provide paperwork.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beauty❤ He looks like he could have a bit of bengal or something else there. I don’t know much about bengals. He is silver tabby with spots. Maybe broken mackerel but he seems to have lots of spots.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't think there is any bengal in him. My two tabbies have almost the exact same spots and the vet was fairly sure they were just Domestic Short Hair / Tabbies. Bengals have a very very distinct spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fayelayland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your kind comments, we are very lucky to have him! Very interesting many of you think he may have a little Bengal in him. He was found on the street very malnourished, but also very domesticated so there is a possibility he was purchased from a breeder by an original owner.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses and information. But yes, we know he is no pedigree and now understand he is considered a DSH, just often wonder where he came from and what his parents might have looked like!
We know at least one of his parents was a gray mackeral tabby.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
We know at least one of his parents was a gray mackeral tabby.
Not really. One of the parents would have to be tabby, but doesn’t have to be silver (the other parent can have the inhibitor gene, regardless of being tabby). Other parent could be red, calico, or black smoke (inhibitor gene + tabby = silver; inhibitor + self/non-agouti = smoke). The tabby pattern cat could also be any colour, as long as one of the parents is black based. Genetics aren’t quite that simple or straightforward. Both parents could also be tabby, etc. It’s impossible to make any remotely accurate statements about the colours of the parents.
Only thing that’s for certain is that at least one of the parents has to have at least one copy of the agouti gene, a copy of the inhibitor gene, and the black gene. No guarantee of which cat(s) are going to have which genes and which colour they are as a result.

tl;dr: huge combination of parents could make a black silver tabby (even without going into brown series cats). This doesn’t necessarily involve a black silver tabby parent.

Last edited: