What breed is he? Bengal?

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What breed is my kitten?
Hes 3 months old now, just got him two weeks ago, Im in China and the breeder I got him from was like a backyard breeder with maybe 20 cats in not that good living conditions, I wish i could have helped them all!
The breeder said hes a bengal and i saw his mother too, which ive included a photo of, his dad was a stud they paid to breed with, but my kittens rosettes colours havent come out that much yet, the golden rings in the middle are more visible than when I first got him though.
I think his growth is slow too, hes three months old but only around 1kg /2.2lbs
Thanks!
Screenshot_20191211-140640522.jpg Screenshot_20191211-135444399 (1).jpg

His mum
Screenshot_20191211-140339353.jpg

His dad mmexport1575533550663.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With these spots on, we must say, yours kitten is a bengal for all practical purposes. The parents are.
How he would do on a good Show, I cant say, but for practical uses, Im putting on the Bengal label on...
Even if parents have more expressive spots than your kitten. If his markings will develop with time, or you got the least expressive one in the batch, I dont know. Did you saw the littermates?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
He absolutely does not look like the "bengals" on my local Craig's List, who are spotted tabby domestic shorthairs. I see litters of ferals described as "three bengals, two tuxedos, and a russian blue" but I don't see rosettes like that.

I'm in the US and I wish I could help those kittens too. :(

Love him lots and understand that he may have some lifelong issues. My Aby had her share of health problems and personality quirks and I wish I could have done more for her, but I did rescue her from a similar(ish) bad situation. There is a poster here who has rescued two Bengals from less than ideal circumstances who might be able to give you some inspiration and advice about the breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He absolutely does not look like the "bengals" on my local Craig's List, who are spotted tabby domestic shorthairs. I see litters of ferals described as "three bengals, two tuxedos, and a russian blue" but I don't see rosettes like that.

I'm in the US and I wish I could help those kittens too. :(

Love him lots and understand that he may have some lifelong issues. My Aby had her share of health problems and personality quirks and I wish I could have done more for her, but I did rescue her from a similar(ish) bad situation. There is a poster here who has rescued two Bengals from less than ideal circumstances who might be able to give you some inspiration and advice about the breed.
Does this mean he looks like a bengal? Hahaha, im sure his mum is the mum, but not sure bout the father since i didnt get to see him.

Yes, his conditions werent ideal, all the cats the seller had were all different breeds like persian, scottish short hair, etc, he had two other bengals, one was his mum and the other a one year old male who the seller just acquired apparently, i saw the male bully my kitten when i was there, my kitty also has the tip of his right ear missing! So im sure hes been through rough times
Thanks, i will try and find the post

With these spots on, we must say, yours kitten is a bengal for all practical purposes. The parents are.
How he would do on a good Show, I cant say, but for practical uses, Im putting on the Bengal label on...
Even if parents have more expressive spots than your kitten. If his markings will develop with time, or you got the least expressive one in the batch, I dont know. Did you saw the littermates?
The seller said that he was the only one in the litter! Ive no idea if this was true but ive didnt see any other littermates, im just gonna wait till he gets older

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten definitely looks like a Bengal, with those rosettes. His spot pattern will probably get clearer as he matures. Did he get his first kitten vaccinations from the breeder? I would also be concerned about his weight and the conditions you describe at the breeders' house. You will definitely want to take him to a vet for a checkup and to continue his kitten vaccination series.

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten definitely looks like a Bengal, with those rosettes. His spot pattern will probably get clearer as he matures. Did he get his first kitten vaccinations from the breeder? I would also be concerned about his weight and the conditions you describe at the breeders' house. You will definitely want to take him to a vet for a checkup and to continue his kitten vaccination series.
Thanks! Yes definitely, weve already been to the vets twice to do checks, hes had a cold since we brought him back only just gotten better a few days ago so ive not done vaccinations and deworming yet.
The breeder said hes done the first vaccination but I dont really trust him, so i will do it again.
When we got him he was only 700g/1.6-7lbs, but during the past two three weeks hes gained quite a lot and growing too!
So i hope its just a case of him not getting access to enough food back at the breeders due to being bullied out by the other bigger cats.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buying kitten from backyard breeders may mean that you did help this particular kitten, but it also means that the "breeder" will continue their practice of raising cats in doubtful conditions as it pays off since people buy them. Is there any organization in China that you can report the condition in which kittens are raised?

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Buying kitten from backyard breeders may mean that you did help this particular kitten, but it also means that the "breeder" will continue their practice of raising cats in doubtful conditions as it pays off since people buy them. Is there any organization in China that you can report the condition in which kittens are raised?
My wife already reported them, but nothing came from it, think he just got a fine. No proper laws exist yet for this sort of stuff in China unfortunately

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
But he did got a fine? So the authorities did took care, sort off, after all? And he thus got a notation to improve the conditions. Hopefully he hears this so.

Alakasam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But he did got a fine? So the authorities did took care, sort off, after all? And he thus got a notation to improve the conditions. Hopefully he hears this so.
Yes kind off, they just told him to move to a proper store and the fines in china are not much, maybe like £20 only...