What breed is Goliath?

Goliath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y'all!

I got this beautiful kitten about a month and a half ago. He's a little under 5 months old! He is very sweet, vocal, follows me everywhere, and loves to mess with his water bowl a little too much ;) . His name is Goliath he's about 6.7 pounds. I took him to the vet for his first ever checkup and the vet said he might have a smidge of Maine-coon in him but I think he might actually be a Nebelung mix. What do y'all think?

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Without a known history he's considered a Domestic Longhair (DLH). He does have something of the look of a Maine Coon. However, you have to realize that Maine Coons were developed from a natural breed, not by mixing different breeds together to get a designed look. That means there are cats out there descended from the original random bred population that was used as the foundation of the Maine Coon pedigreed cats.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of looks like a Maine Coon-in-training. He's big for his age and has a good mane going on. I think Maine Coons are supposed to like water, too. That's another positive indicator.

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told this one was a maine coon mix when I adopted her, also was told her mom was maine coon but there's no proof. She was a little over a year and she was 8lbs, don't have her current weight but I'd say around 13-15lbs now. She loves water too, actually so much I had to get her a fountain lol! She's actually very fit under all that fluff
20210821_011925.jpg

20210318_151106.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all!

I got this beautiful kitten about a month and a half ago. He's a little under 5 months old! He is very sweet, vocal, follows me everywhere, and loves to mess with his water bowl a little too much ;) . His name is Goliath he's about 6.7 pounds. I took him to the vet for his first ever checkup and the vet said he might have a smidge of Maine-coon in him but I think he might actually be a Nebelung mix. What do y'all think?
He is gorgeous 😻 without papers even if pb he would not be considered to be and is a dlh. In terms of what he looks most like he looks more MC to me but not pb. I did collages with Mc & Nebelung kitties for comparison. As others said MC breed was bred from natural cats in the area so domestic cats can have similar feautures.

FE65FD8A-1EFE-4196-903A-EE749F9C730E.png
4843172D-5837-4C23-B85B-36C95CF9BC2E.jpeg
DB7D1FC5-5D2B-417D-BFB1-8DA0CAA58B86.jpeg

Last edited:

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all!

He does have some of the facial features of a mainecoon and he's quite a big cat so he could have some mainecoon ancestry. But the colour and everything does compare to a Nebelung so I dunno... maybe both? Irregardless, he's a very pretty boy♡