What breed dog do you think she is.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my sisters friend's dog. Her name is Dakota, she's a very sweet dog, but I have a differnt opinon about her breed than her owner. It's hard to tell by the photo, but she is a very slim fine boned dog. I think she's adorable,but just curious what others think.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
definately an american pit bull terrier.
what a cutie.. I love pitties!!
I hope to have one someday, rescued of course.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say her head looked a bit Great Danish???? but then I'm no good at identifying dogs
she almost looks like a giant boston terrier too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention she is chow, she has a purple tongue. I think she's got pit in her to, but her mom always says chow, lab mix. She's just so fine boned & I always thought that pits, chows & labs are stocky dogs. Someone once suggested she might have some sort of herding dog also. I don't know much about dogs, so I always find it intresting what mix some dogs are.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I have it!!!! Great dane (the muzzle is long like a dane) and chow chow... (the head, ears and most of the body seem like a chow)

Chows also have thinner legs. (its hard to tell under all that hair!)

Do you have a better pic? maybe one of dakota standing?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

I think I have it!!!! Great dane (the muzzle is long like a dane) and chow chow... (the head, ears and most of the body seem like a chow)

Chows also have thinner legs. (its hard to tell under all that hair!)

Do you have a better pic? maybe one of dakota standing?
I agree. there's something Great Danish about her head.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Those ears and head shape are screaming Basenji to me
I think that was what I was trying to think of too! Thanks, it was about to kill me that I couldn't remember-LOL- some sort of Basenji- maybe lab? cross. Here's a link to a pic:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/basenji/photos.cfm

http://www.akc.org/breeds/basenji/index.cfm

And a video:http://www.akc.org/breeds/basenji/video.cfm

Black on the tongue doesn't always mean it comes from a breed that typically has black on it- I had 2 half lab, half Brittney Spaniels (same litter) who had black on their tongues- and one had lab hair, one had brittney hair, one was big boned, one was fine boned, both were small like a brittney...
Other than the size and being mostly black, they looked nothing alike! It's so hard to know- but I guess you know what my vote is already!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Border Collie, Pittie, and maybe some German Shepherd.. hard to tell from that picture how big the dog really is. I wouldn't say Dane... ears are totally off.. i dunno.
How much does she weigh? And how tall does she stand at the shoulders?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's 35 - 40 lbs. I don't know how tall she is at the sholders, but she is exactly the same height at my sisters dog (husky mix) who weighs 45-50 lbs & is not over weight.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not seeing the Pittie, and at 35-40 lbs I don't think Lab is very likely. And Great Danes weigh about 120 lbs so even if you mix one with a small dog you still get a medium to large dog. Are the ears natural?
What kids of habits does she have, like does she like to chase rodents, cyclists, is she a digger etc?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pricked ears are not natural to Danes, they have long rosebud ears and are cropped to stand upright.