What breed does this cat resemble?

William_Istanbul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200222_173459.jpg

Hi everyone

I found this street cat in Istanbul, and took her to the vet because she was very lethargic, lying in the road and obviously sick with a cough, eye infections and lots of mucus etc. She is much better now (see photos!) and I'd like to keep her, although I think she may prefer to be a street cat so I'll decide when the vet says she's totally better and ask his advice as well.

I don't know much about cats but she seems to be a long (medium?) hair tabby of some sort. I'm curious to know what breed does she resemble to people who know more?

Thanks
William

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a lovely girl! She looks quite contented in your pictures so I can't imagine that she would prefer to live on the street with all its dangers... It's great that you rescued her! :)

I would describe your cat as a brown mackerel tabby domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed, so we call them domestic longhair or shorthair, based on coat length. Genetically, cats are either longhaired or shorthaired, although people do often use the term medium hair to refer to a longhaired cat that isn't very fluffy. It's possible that now that you've rescued her and she is getting good care, her coat may grow out and become more fluffy!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking her in,, but if you put her back out on the street she will most likely get sick, again, hurt, or killed.

It is hard to tell what she is mixed with without knowing a little bit more about her background.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She's a beautiful girl. I'd describe her as a long haired domestic tabby.

She looks very comfortable with you. Please keep her in. Cats don't live very long out on the streets, she'll be much better off living with you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if she isnt a ticked tabby! The exact tabby pattern is often difficult to see on longhairs, but I myself dont really see any pattern on her upperbody...
Is she biggish, standard or petite in size?
Anyway, whatever look alike she may be or may not be, she is surely a prettie in her own right!

And yeah, I do agree, dont let her out again on the streets...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

William_Istanbul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I'm trying her at home now (we also have a dog, the one in the previous photo, so I also need to make sure they can get along). So far so good.

In case anyone else has views on her breed (Istanbul has a very diverse collection of street cats), a couple more photos here. The fur around her neck is much longer than elsewhere, and it has a different texture - almost crimped. She also has v furry toes which you can kinda see in the photo.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cat and the dog seems to be OK with each other, even if they arent best friends as yet... it will be better and better, Im sure.

She is surely a domestic longhair, but you can perhaps compare her to a siberian. They are usually bigger than average, but not all are. Also, modern siberians outside Russia tends to get a doll like looks, so to speak. Losing part of their wild looks. And I have an impression, also downgrading their size.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I found this street cat in Istanbul, and took her to the vet because she was very lethargic, lying in the road and obviously sick with a cough, eye infections and lots of mucus etc. She is much better now (see photos!) and I'd like to keep her, although I think she may prefer to be a street cat so I'll decide when the vet says she's totally better and ask his advice as well.

I don't know much about cats but she seems to be a long (medium?) hair tabby of some sort. I'm curious
She is a beauty😻 Love those whiskers. She looks like a mackerel tabby more blue than brown in some pics and maybe some ticking and maybe smoked. She looks like she has some forest cat and maybe some Persian in her to me, I am not saying she is pb obviously, her face looks like a baby doll persian in some of your pics. Her ruff looks very forest cat to me. Also, there are pure bred cats originally from that area but then bred in England, the Turkish Van and Angora which she looks a bit similar to as well. But they have white on the body. Such a sweet girl and I hope you will keep her inside now and love her forever💕