What breed does my domestic longhair look most like?

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a first time cat owner, and my kitten is no question a mutt, but he look very similar to a Siamese/Balinese (he’s a long hair), and I was curious what a more seasoned cat owner thought! There is a Siamese (looking) cat a few houses down from where we found him.

Most of what I know is based on extensive googling 😂😂

personality: He is extremely active! Loves to climb, jump and play! (Climbing is his favorite) He is also very vocal, he chirps, chatters, and meows often. He loves attention, and loves to be with us.

background: He was a feral kitten who was the last of his litter. He was incredibly sick when we found him. He had several infections, abscesses, he had lost an eye to the infections already, fleas, a tapeworm, ringworm. We took him in at 4/5 weeks old and he weighed only half a pound. He is currently 8/9 weeks old and doing great! (Still working on the ringworm that didn’t show up until a week or two after we got him so we got a late start on that one, but he has no new patches and already has hair growing back!)

Jan 2nd 2022 (hair looks short because it’s just growing back)⬇
3B5DED63-BBF9-4B10-8A3F-31BF3F1199A4.jpeg
93DDC7EC-3889-47A9-8677-8834809B0D9C.jpeg

Dec. 12 2021⬇
D3DADB31-AA2A-47C6-950B-FD09A9D929CE.jpeg
158AD11B-F28D-41B3-AD8D-5094B49EE489.jpeg

Dec 8 2021 (first day we got him)⬇
C4EA7D7B-BB75-4FB0-845D-D9B21532CFA3.jpeg
2A1E4653-C929-4A56-A1B0-5D54507AB53F.jpeg

Dec. 9 2021 ⬇
9BA80D53-BAF9-46A8-AB1C-919DBFE2C130.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add some full body images in case that could help. Sorry for the poor quality, I don’t usually bring my phone with me when we play with him because of the risk of ringworm spread (we are being careful as possible so as not to accidentally spread to our dog). Plus he’s very active so it’s hard to get pics of him in general without him being held by one of us 😂 These are images from our nanny cam. They’re all from Jan. 7 2022
40449DC6-3620-46B0-A825-D1D44A22A20C.png

B2DDC4D1-97D5-43B0-BF31-F6B3EFA6FA91.png
6912FE4B-CE53-4B78-9010-D9CA00CDE3AF.jpeg
175AE5C8-8DA6-4DDE-962F-DD9B792E30EF.png
9F051109-9EB3-4E5D-A600-167DC1287AFC.jpeg
699EE03E-2B6B-41F7-B94C-72060F9EE9A8.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is his name? He is a seal point longhair, that much we can say... These vague stripes are probably ghost markings.
He isnt not any near to siamese or balinese. These are thinnish in body, and have longish muzzles.

I suppose with siamese you mean, a point. (darker at the points of the body). But such mixes are quite common in the overall cat population, although the gene as such is recessive.

The face is quite peculiar on his later pics. Reminds me about the Devon Rex... But the hairs are totally wrong,
So, my guess for now will be, he has some Persian ancestry, probably a doll face persian in his near background...

I want to tx you and your family for rescuing, adopting and healing of this wonderful cat.
I do thank you in the name of The Cat.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His name is Zuko! Thank you for your reply! Yes I always associate that coloring with Siamese, that’s why I thought it could be related; I didn’t know it was so common! I have been on a crash course learning everything I can about cats! I will have to read about some of the breeds you mentioned!

I wish I could have helped his siblings too, but I’m so glad we found this little boy!

He had a check up today so I made sure to take some additional pictures while I had the chance! (Plus he got a cute bandana ☺) Here are some clearer photos of his body/face. DE1DD0F4-AE3F-41C2-AF21-0A76E4577CA4.jpeg 88F42281-DF08-46C5-BF20-2E363407620C.jpeg B350BFC7-5276-4C2F-B764-B8BFC2C4AA48.jpeg 742B22E0-BDF3-4DC5-B47B-AF9AF7AFAE83.jpeg 0F538635-A826-4572-902F-A91DF1EC0981.jpeg

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Cat locked up in a cage.. Do you plan on giving him some freedom soon ?

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Cat locked up in a cage.. Do you plan on giving him some freedom soon ?
It is because he has ringworm he has to be kept in a smaller easy to clean area that is away from other pets/people. The kennel is big enough for him while he’s so small and easy to keep clean to prevent reinfection. We also spend time playing with him, we just wash up and change clothes before leaving the room. We can’t wait to give him more freedom, and we have a full setup ready for him when he gets the all clear, but for now he is being kept in our golden retriever’s old kennel. But he still has plenty of space, and we keep a supply of changing toys, disposable scratching posts, and a hammock for him to jump in and out of now that he’s big enough and healthy enough for active play and jumping!

Thank you for your concern! We are doing what we can to keep him stimulated and active while we work on getting him healthy! If you have any suggestions, I have tried to make sure he has climbing/jumping, scratching, and hunting toys to make sure he has a variety of outlets that meet all his kitty needs (with the object in mind that they also need to be disposable or easily cleaned) but if there is something extra I could add to keep him happy and mentally healthy please let me know!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is because he has ringworm he has to be kept in a smaller easy to clean area that is away from other pets/people. The kennel is big enough for him while he’s so small and easy to keep clean to prevent reinfection. We also spend time playing with him, we just wash up and change clothes before leaving the room. We can’t wait to give him more freedom, and we have a full setup ready for him when he gets the all clear, but for now he is being kept in our golden retriever’s old kennel. But he still has plenty of space, and we keep a supply of changing toys, disposable scratching posts, and a hammock for him to jump in and out of now that he’s big enough and healthy enough for active play and jumping!

Thank you for your concern! We are doing what we can to keep him stimulated and active while we work on getting him healthy! If you have any suggestions, I have tried to make sure he has climbing/jumping, scratching, and hunting toys to make sure he has a variety of outlets that meet all his kitty needs (with the object in mind that they also need to be disposable or easily cleaned) but if there is something extra I could add to keep him happy and mentally healthy please let me know!
I bought my boys two fur pieces for attachment to a fishing pole. I bought a raccoon and a coyote. It's real fur Attached to a tanned leather backing. The vendor is : LoveandLightsGiftsUS, on the esty website. I purchased a inexpensive pair of extending fishing poles from chewy.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will look into their shop!
I bought my boys two fur pieces for attachment to a fishing pole. I bought a raccoon and a coyote. It's real fur Attached to a tanned leather backing. The vendor is : LoveandLightsGiftsUS, on the esty website. I purchased a inexpensive pair of extending fishing poles from chewy.
Thank you! I will look into their shop! I have some poles I purchased him already, but just artificial attachment toys, as a former feral he would probably appreciate the real stuff 😂

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will look into their shop!

Thank you! I will look into their shop! I have some poles I purchased him already, but just artificial attachment toys, as a former feral he would probably appreciate the real stuff 😂
This vendor is located in Land O Lakes, Florida. She’s a Cat owner and very accommodating. I have purchased also a mink tail from her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think we should wait more with deciding what Zuko is a look alike. Why, he may even be a tabby for real, even if I think its "just" ghost stripes.

He seems emaciated to me. Nothing peculiar, with what he went through. He was surely more emaciated earlier, but it wasnt visible because he had his long fur covering...

Goats milk is always a good and useful supplement. Raw goats milk if you can get it. Some nice vitamine paste cant hurt either.

Perhaps you could set up a bird video outside his cage? Or something going on on a tablet / ipad... So he has something funny to look at...

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we should wait more with deciding what Zuko is a look alike. Why, he may even be a tabby for real, even if I think its "just" ghost stripes.

He seems emaciated to me. Nothing peculiar, with what he went through. He was surely more emaciated earlier, but it wasnt visible because he had his long fur covering...

Goats milk is always a good and useful supplement. Raw goats milk if you can get it. Some nice vitamine paste cant hurt either.

Perhaps you could set up a bird video outside his cage? Or something going on on a tablet / ipad... So he has something funny to look at...
That is a good idea! I hadn’t thought of something like that. I do have an old iPad we don’t really use anymore I could set up in there!

Yes, he is still thin, but he is definitely much better than when he first arrived! He weighed only .5 lb when we first found him at 4 weeks old, but at 8 weeks he is up to 2.2 lbs! We had been feeding him A/d canned food, but have recently transitioned to dry.

He’s doing so much better but I can’t help but still worry lol. I’m always concerned there’s something he needs I am not thinking of. I suppose I will have to wait for him to get a bit bigger to see how he turns out looking! I am hoping his eye stays blue, but we will see! It’s such a pretty color right now! His hair patches are coming in darker where he lost it too. Who knows how he’ll look in the future! He started as just a little cream puff ball 😂

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he does look oriental siamese/ balanese and I do see the devon rex there too a bit. All pointed cats have siamese ancestry somewhere down the line. He would be called a dlh sealpoint. Pointed cats often have the tabby markings especially on their faces, legs etc. as the mask gets darker.

You are doing a great job with him, it is not easy to deal with ringworm for sure.

He is adorable 😻 Thanks so much for saving him ❤

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ZukoCat ZukoCat
What he is - is adorable ❤❤
Well done on rescuing him. The bandana photos are super cute!

Definite some Siamese in there and maybe via a Ragdoll as he has the long hair. Several cat breeds have had Siamese Mixture to get the color points. Ragdolls being one, long haired color point Persians (called Himalayans but no connection to the mountains🤔) and Siberians also have color points.

Color points are not very common from what I have seen but not rare In the general cat population. They do pop up from time to time. To have color points show up - both parents must be carriers.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he does look oriental siamese/ balanese and I do see the devon rex there too a bit. All pointed cats have siamese ancestry somewhere down the line. He would be called a dlh sealpoint. Pointed cats often have the tabby markings especially on their faces, legs etc. as the mask gets darker.

You are doing a great job with him, it is not easy to deal with ringworm for sure.

He is adorable 😻 Thanks so much for saving him ❤
Thank you so much! ❤

I had seen that there were seal, blue, chocolate, and lavender points but it was hard me to know what the differences were, they looked very similar in pictures. His face does seem to have some stripes and his tail has always had a bit of a raccoon look to it, but I haven’t noticed them anywhere else on him.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ZukoCat ZukoCat
What he is - is adorable ❤❤
Well done on rescuing him. The bandana photos are super cute!

Definite some Siamese in there and maybe via a Ragdoll as he has the long hair. Several cat breeds have had Siamese Mixture to get the color points. Ragdolls being one, long haired color point Persians (called Himalayans but no connection to the mountains🤔) and Siberians also have color points.

Color points are not very common from what I have seen but not rare In the general cat population. They do pop up from time to time. To have color points show up - both parents must be carriers.
I hadn’t realized until I started looking into all this how many cat breed started off as mixes before becoming their own! I wish I had an idea of what his parents looked like. I only have guesses as there are a lot of community cats in that area. The other kittens with him had all been tabby as far as I saw, an orange, a grey, and a red (I’ve never seen a kitten/cat with coloring like that before actually). Since they looked about the same age and we’re nearby I assume they had been his siblings.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ZukoCat ZukoCat
They could have been siblings or half siblings, as a female cat might mate with more than one male and then have a litter.

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
CB182535-CDC3-4DB7-8EE2-32F4ECCA1BBC.jpeg
CE998728-41B3-43C6-AEF0-82063A08D792.jpeg
A2AB7131-FCB1-48A1-AC64-256583AC9E84.jpeg

For anyone interested in an update, he’s doing much better! Happy, healthy (up to 4lbs), and loving being an annoying little brother to our golden 😂

(Also please ignore our messy reorganization 🤣)