What Breed Do You Think He Is

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is very nice and sweet, but as I see he is a quite ordinary moggy, with the striped(?) tabby pattern. The salt of the earth, as they say. As sweet as they can be. :)

big paws hints he will grow into them, so he may become quite large. Perhaps a MCO grandfather, but no traces of no bengal ancestor...

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I agree. A beautiful DSH (Domestic Shorthair) in tabby and white with a lovely thick coat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful, unusual colors and pattern, he will grow into those paws if he is fed enough! Without papers it will forever be unknown his ancestry, but he is a Domestic Shorthair in Tabby and white like stated above. My vet would have him listed as a 'Gray and white Tiger'. I can see the possible Maine Coon in him, especially with that face and big feet. Beautiful, precious baby, you are so fortunate! (and so is he!)

123rochelle123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he is a domestic shorthair like my cat! Just with a grey-tabby pattern

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with other posters, he is a brown mackeral tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. His pattern is stunningly unique for sure!

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very much a DSH with the white gene variant known as "Tuxedo". The pattern & colour, I'm going to have to slightly disagree with my fellow posters. It is brown but the "dark" variant. The pattern is "Classic Tabby".

DSH Dark-Brown Classic Tuxedo Tabby

Here's a similar one all grown up:

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is he classic tabby or mackeral though? He looks striped in the first picture. NicoleM86 NicoleM86 , can you post another side view? Maybe one with more light?

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he classic tabby or mackeral though? He looks striped in the first picture. NicoleM86 NicoleM86 , can you post another side view? Maybe one with more light?
Mackerel doesn't have the horizontal striping on the side. Here's my dark-brown mackerel tabby:

The dark isn't as prominent in him but here's the difference between a standard brown mackerel and the dark variant:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has circular swirls on his sides, he would be a Classic tabby and white domestic shorthair. If he has stripes on his sides, he'd be a Mackerel tabby and white domestic shorthair. Either way, he is gorgeous and I wish him a long, happy, healthy and loved life!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If he has circular swirls on his sides, he would be a Classic tabby and white domestic shorthair. If he has stripes on his sides, he'd be a Mackerel tabby and white domestic shorthair. Either way, he is gorgeous and I wish him a long, happy, healthy and loved life!
Yes, to add on, the variations in tabby patterns can be clearly seen in this lovely group of Maine Coons here: Photos of the top Maine Coon Cats for the show season 2014-2015
Note: in CFA, classic tabby is just noted as "tabby"

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you access the back image directly and zoom in (outside of the forum view) the swirls become more visible

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If you access the back image directly and zoom in (outside of the forum view) the swirls become more visible
Yeah, the back picture makes the classic tabby pattern very clear. Somehow I managed to skip over this picture the first time around.