What breed do you guys think they are?

8Flames13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 week old female kitten( Queenie) and a 12 week old male kitten ( Kingston). I would really like to know the type of breed they are. I honestly just want to know just for fun and to have more knowledge on them. They look like they could be between Ocicat or Savannah to me. They both have spotted bellies and ocelli on their ears. They are both destructive but the female Kitten is more energetic. So if you guys could really help me that would be amazing!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such cute kittens! :redheartpump:

From these pictures I would describe your kittens as brown tabby domestic shorthairs. The pattern on the kitten in the front looks like broken mackerel or spotted. If you post a picture of each kitten's body from the side, preferably standing or walking, it will make it easier to determine their tabby patterns.

Ocelli on the ears are unusual, do you have a picture of the backs of their ears?

The belly spots are adorable :) These spots don't indicate any specific breed ancestry, as they are a normal part of the tabby pattern; most tabbies have them. Most cats are not any particular breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8Flames13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much!!! I do believe I have some pictures of them from the side walking and a couple of them from behind their ears. The first picture is queenie from the side and the second picture is them both only showing a little of Kingston’s back ears. The last one is Kingston laying from the side. I wish I had more pictures I apologize.

Attachments

8Flames13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such cute kittens! :redheartpump:

From these pictures I would describe your kittens as brown tabby domestic shorthairs. The pattern on the kitten in the front looks like broken mackerel or spotted. If you post a picture of each kitten's body from the side, preferably standing or walking, it will make it easier to determine their tabby patterns.

Ocelli on the ears are unusual, do you have a picture of the backs of their ears?

The belly spots are adorable :) These spots don't indicate any specific breed ancestry, as they are a normal part of the tabby pattern; most tabbies have them. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!!! I do believe I have some pictures of them from the side walking and a couple of them from behind their ears. The first picture is queenie from the side and the second picture is them both only showing a little of Kingston’s back ears. The last one is Kingston laying from the side. I wish I had more pictures I apologize.
Thanks, these are good! Is the bigger cat in the last picture their mother?

I would describe Queenie's pattern as broken mackerel, while Kingston appears to have more of a broken classic pattern. Broken mackerel is probably the most ancient pattern in the domestic cat, since it is very close to the appearance of the cat's wild ancestor, the African wildcat. Broken classic is similar, but the spots on the side are arranged in a similar way to the classic tabby's "bullseye" pattern. Both broken mackerel and broken classic patterns are frequently seen in domestic cats. Looking at your cats' coat patterns, it is easy to imagine how well this pattern would have camouflaged ancient cats while out hunting in their natural environment!

Tabby cats also normally have some shading on the back of the ears, which is a bit similar to the ocelli seen in wild species, but not as high contrast. Here is a short article about ocelli that shows a picture of a tabby cat's ears and compares it to a serval cub's ears:
From the pictures, I think the back of your cats' ears looks more like the shading usually seen on tabby cats. I don't think it is high contrast enough to indicate recent wild species ancestry (such as in the Savannah breed). That's ok, though... your cats are gorgeous in their own right! :)

Last edited:

8Flames13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, these are good! Is the bigger cat in the last picture their mother?

I would describe Queenie's pattern as broken mackerel, while Kingston appears to have more of a broken classic pattern. Broken mackerel is probably the most ancient pattern in the domestic cat, since it is very close to the appearance of the cat's wild ancestor, the African wildcat. Broken classic is similar, but the spots on the site are arranged in a similar way to the classic tabby's "bullseye" pattern. Both broken mackerel and broken classic patterns are frequently seen in domestic cats. Looking at your cats' coat patterns, it is easy to imagine how well this pattern would have camouflaged ancient cats while out hunting in their natural environment!

Tabby cats also normally have some shading on the back of the ears, which is a bit similar to the ocelli seen in wild species, but not as high contrast. Here is a short article about ocelli that shows a picture of a tabby cat's ears and compares it to a serval cub's ears:
[/URL]
From the pictures, I think the back of your cats' ears looks more like the shading usually seen on tabby cats. I don't think it is high contrast enough to indicate recent wild species ancestry (such as in the Savannah breed). That's ok, though... your cats are gorgeous in their own right! :)
Thank you so much!! I knew none of this information and you’ve helped me with so many of my unanswered questions. They are my little sweet hearts❤ Oh and I the other cat is not related to them at all his name is Baby Bash and he’s 1 years old. None of my kittens are related at all. I got queenie from a co worker and I adopted Kingston a few weeks later. My boyfriend later adopted Bash. We love them so much, they are a handful though lol.