What brand of wet canned food should I buy?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My adopted tortie which is 8 years old is having her Sheba canned food daily twice but i just read online someone saying that many cats have chronic kidney disease from eating this brand. As i am a new cat owner, i do not know what is good for her but all i know she prefers gravy meals thats why i have been feeding her Sheba... I have decided to change her brand to a healthier brand as i do not want her to die so early. I mean I just adopted her months ago :(
What should i take note when buying canned food?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the source saying that cats were having kidney disease?

Sheba is a good brand, in my opinion. I feed Purina ProPlan True Nature, Fancy Feast, and Friskies. Low carb, biologically appropriate, and you can find them about anywhere.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with Sheba but speaking in general terms, I would take rumors like that with a pinch of salt. Kidney disease is common in cats, and people are quick to jump to the conclusion a health problem was caused by the food.

My Hima basically chooses her own wet foods as she's picky. She currently eats Pro Plan and Miamor - both pate.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sheba is low quality, I'd classify it as a drugstore catfood. I recommend Tiki Cat After Dark or home cooked/homeade raw if you're willing.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat food recommendations will be all over the place - generally you want high meat protein, medium fat and low/no carb. But the trick is you have to afford it and the cat has to like it. Also it has to be available.

I can only mention what I feed, and it may work for you or it may not. One thing people suggest often is feeding multiple brands and types of food (if your cat doesn’t have a sensitive stomach). This can offset any one food from having a negative effect because you feed a variety. It also helps the cat not to get so picky, and if a food is discontinued it wasn’t your only hope.

Olive eats Rawz Rabbit, Fromm Duck and Chicken, Stella and Chewy freeze-dried Chicken, and Life’s Abundance.

Gohan is a bit pickier and eats Caru Chicken Stew and Aujous by Rawz

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Sheba is a lower quality brand when it comes to kidneys because of the phosphorus content. As cats age, their kidney functions naturally decline. When kidneys are compromised the higher phosphorus will be detrimental to the kidneys. You can look for lower phosphorus foods here:

https://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the best food is the one your cat will eat without pulling your hair out in frustration ;)