What are your favorite cat books?..

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always looking for more books to read about cat anecdotes..
thought we could compare notes!

Faves that come to mind for me are-

1)Any of the books by Doreen Tovey and her Siamese cats
2)Amber, a very personal cat by Gladys Taber
3)Gentle People by Era Zistel
4)The Cat Who Came in from the Cold by Deric Longden

and many others..I'll need to think about it more.

Would any of you like to share?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I really enjoy the Joe Grey cat mysteries by Shirley Rousseau, and used to read the Mrs. Murphy series, but Rita Mae Brown has gotten too preachy (the Tea Party must love her). Two other cat books also come to mind, both non-fiction: Homer's Odyssey and Making Rounds with Oscar. Oh, also the Dewey books: Dewey the Library Cat and Dewey's Nine Lives.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like anthologies of short stories about cats. I have a lot of them.

But the very best is The Personality of the Cat edited by Brandt Aymar. I first got this book in the 1960's as a gift. I lost it in moving out west to Montana and then back to Chicago in the 1980's. But I never forgot this book. In the last year I was able to get a copy through abe books. I reread it and wasn't disappointed. There are some fantastic stories in it, some that aren't in other anthologies (which have a tendency to have some of the same stories).

Another recent purchase was a book of just cat stories by James Herriot. It's great to hear his introduction about how much he always really liked cats and how he was disappointed when he went to vet school and none of his text books had anything in them about cats. This was the 1930's and veterinary medicine for cats was pretty much nonexistent. Anyway, they are great stories.

Robin

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Warriors by Erin Hunter
The Cat Who by Lilian Jackson Braun
Joe Grey by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
Mrs. Murphy by Rita Mae Brown
Midnight Louie by Carol Nelson Douglas

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are now about 4 books in the Dewey series. Just got the newest one.

Homer, of course.

Just got two new ones about The Cat House and Cats Into Everything.

Would it be stretching it too much to mention "The Manx Mouse," by Paul Gallico? The "clutterbumph" in the story is the Manx cat...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a cat "story" per se, but I LOVE Catswold Portal!!! It's a fantasy about a race of beings living in the center of the Earth that can change into cats. OK I make it sound stupid, but it's really good!
I always give one to my Secret Santa. I even gave MY copy away one year!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Not a cat "story" per se, but I LOVE Catswold Portal!!! It's a fantasy about a race of beings living in the center of the Earth that can change into cats. OK I make it sound stupid, but it's really good!
I really liked that book - finally read it after reading about nine Joe Grey books.

The Dewey books are definitely worth reading, at least the "adult" ones. I haven't read the ones meant for children. Now I have to check out the "Warrior" series. Hopefully it's available for the Kindle.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JazzyTheCat

Definitely my favourite cat series. I really want to read Dewey the Library Cat, does anyone know anything about it? Is it good?

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.
Who's your favorite warrior? I like Jayfeather
I haven't read Dewey The Library Cat yet.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Will you be my Secret Santa next year?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Will you be my Secret Santa next year?
Hahahaha, sure! I didn't give one away this year because it's the second time I've had Jill, and she's already got one, LOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys! I have some new requests into my library queue now

I liked The Cats of Punchbowl Farm too.
The Warrior series I liked but I stopped for awhile and don't remember where I left off. I should probably start all over again to rejog my memory before continuing..
ETA: I also loved The Wild Road

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read the Cat Pack series, which is for kids, but I enjoyed it anyway. The books are The Grand Escape, The Healing of Texas Jake, Carlotta's Kittens, and Polo's Mother. They are good for anyone who would like to read about cats having fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered a book off Ebay and just got it the other day, it is called "Seven Cats and the Art of Living". I like it quite alot, almost done, I only wish it was a longer read. Books I love just end too soon, it seems!
I started "Oscar" from your suggestion, quite like it so far; thanks for that.
Also got "Animal Magnetism", really good read about all kinds of animals, enjoying that too.
(I tend to read at least five books at once at any given time..so I start and finish several books at once rather than one at a time, unless one is really quite gripping
)