What Are Your Cats Doing Right Now?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wondering when we’re letting her out of her kennel.
7B30079A-F406-4A57-ABBD-DF1A93B5EEFB.jpeg

We’re on our way down to Sand Hollow for the 1st Annual Off-road Wrecker Games for the next four days and brought Belle with us. This is her first long trip- about 4 or 5 hour drive, including stops.

She’d rather be home, of course, but she’s dealing with it surprisingly well.

The Jeep is packed tight, but we made sure to leave room for Belle.
9B5A24C2-8059-475C-8D24-421BC302B223.jpeg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, I WON’T share photo, but don’t tell me cats don’t have a sense of humor. Zorro left a mouse’s rear end (to share?) very neatly next to a catnip mouse w/which he never plays. (“See ma?? THAT’s a mouse. I don’t know what that other thing is.”).

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Um, I WON’T share photo, but don’t tell me cats don’t have a sense of humor. Zorro left a mouse’s rear end (to share?) very neatly next to a catnip mouse w/which he never plays. (“See ma?? THAT’s a mouse. I don’t know what that other thing is.”).
“That’s not a mouse. THIS is a mouse!”

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tigger: prowling around the room

Willow: on my lap having a very impurrtant washie <3

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
In the process of demolishing my kitchen and have exposed a small mouse hole. My night guard is on duty.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am staring into an empty tin of cat food. Belle is sitting on the kitchen floor watching me with bright, innocent eyes.

You may be wondering what the significance of the empty tin of cat food is. Empty cat food tins are not only unremarkable, but expected in a feline occupied household. I would be wondering too, if not acquainted with the series of events leading up to this moment.

My mom dumped on us a pile of tinned cat food her cats have recently refused to eat. Among those are tins of 5.5 ounce Friskies. According to the label and after doing the math in my head (always a reckless undertaking) to meet Belle's nutritional needs at her weight for the day, she should receive a half can per meal.

At dinner time, I opened a tin of Friskies, spread half of it around in her dish and set the remainder on the counter to be used for Belle's morning breakfast. Her dish was placed on the window sill next to the dining room table (SWAMBO being adamant that Belle is not allowed to eat at the table with us) and the three of us ate supper together.

The opened tin didn't get placed in the refrigerator because I wanted the food to be room temperature in the morning. Leaving it out overnight in the microwave won't hurt anything. Only, I forgot to place the opened tin of Friskies in the microwave.

It's been a longtime since Belle has been up on the counter. In fact, she's very reluctance to jump to explore the counter at all. I think it's because we have too many appliances and knicknacks crowding the top. Imagine my surprise when the next morning, I couldn't find the tin of food. It wasn't in the microwave. It wasn't on the counter or on the kitchen floor. Thinking perhaps SWAMBO had placed it in the refrigerator before going to bed, or in the trash because it was left out (she has worked as a food handler for many years) I searched both, finding nothing. To say I was puzzled was to say cats are inscrutable.

While I stood, turning this mystery over in my head, my eye caught something out of place in the dining room. I went to it and picked it up. It was the missing tin, licked clean except for a thin ring caught in a hard to reach ring around the bottom.

I looked at Belle. She looked at me, eyes bright and innocent. I sighed and followed by a purring Belle, returned to the kitchen to open a fresh tin.

Last edited: