What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm reading 'Life' by Keith Richards. great book. i'm not that much of a Stones fan but i always liked Keith. saw them in concert once in '74 in Germany

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Silence Of The Lambs - Thomas Harris.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Silence Of The Lambs - Thomas Harris.
I read some fluff in between (a very dumb book that was supposed to be funny called "Marrying Mom" by Olivia Goldsmith)

but now half way through "Hannibal", Thomas Harris. I am not normally a fan of horror, but I can't put these books down. Thomas Harris is a master story teller.

But I do need a break in between. When I finish Hannibal I'll read something light before tacking "Hannibal's Rising" (the story of Hannibal Lecter's early life)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Went to the library over lunch today.......

From the Outlander series:

Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

An Echo in the Bone

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

And then:

Judgement Call - JA Jance

Sky Dragons - Anne/Todd McCaffrey (A DragonRiders of Pern novel)

Murder on Fifth Avenue - Victoria Thompson (A Gaslight Mystery novel)

Looks like I've got some reading to do.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to the library over lunch today.......

From the Outlander series:

Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

An Echo in the Bone

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

And then:

Judgement Call - JA Jance

Sky Dragons - Anne/Todd McCaffrey (A DragonRiders of Pern novel)

Murder on Fifth Avenue - Victoria Thompson (A Gaslight Mystery novel)

Looks like I've got some reading to do.
I guess you do! So how far are you now? My reading has, for the most part, been limited to Saturday mornings. I am still on the Fiery Cross, but savoring every moment of it. Happy reading!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read some fluff in between (a very dumb book that was supposed to be funny called "Marrying Mom" by Olivia Goldsmith)
but now half way through "Hannibal", Thomas Harris. I am not normally a fan of horror, but I can't put these books down. Thomas Harris is a master story teller.
But I do need a break in between. When I finish Hannibal I'll read something light before tacking "Hannibal's Rising" (the story of Hannibal Lecter's early life)
Started Hannibal's Rising yesterday. Can't put it down.

Found out that the author's "Red Dragon" is also part of the Hannibal books, in fact, the first one, so will have to read it last, instead.

Funny how they changed the ending in the movie Hannibal. I wonder why it was done like that. Perhaps the movie makers were hoping to cash in on another sequel, not book based.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I guess you do! So how far are you now? My reading has, for the most part, been limited to Saturday mornings. I am still on the Fiery Cross, but savoring every moment of it. Happy reading!
Welllll, I finished Drums of Autumn and Murder on 5th Avenue. Started on Judgement Call and am about 1/3 of the way through The Fiery Cross.....boy, those are long books! Each Outlander book is close to 1,000 pages, It's really an outstanding series and I'm so glad that you all started talking about it.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started Hannibal's Rising yesterday. Can't put it down.
Found out that the author's "Red Dragon" is also part of the Hannibal books, in fact, the first one, so will have to read it last, instead.
Funny how they changed the ending in the movie Hannibal. I wonder why it was done like that. Perhaps the movie makers were hoping to cash in on another sequel, not book based.
Finished Hannibal's Rising. Went straight to Red Dragon. Very scary book, but Thomas Harris is an incredible writer. I can't put this one down either.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh otto for some reason i figured you as someone who would avoid horror lol .. I avoid that stuff because I like to sleep peacefully at night

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh otto for some reason i figured you as someone who would avoid horror lol .. I avoid that stuff because I like to sleep peacefully at night
Normally I do. :lol3: The Shining (Stephen King) scared me so badly back in....oh 1978 or so, I swore I never would read another scary book.

It was pure impulse that led me to pick up Silence of the Lambs, and having once started, they were so riveting I had to read them all.

Having said that guess what I'm reading now?.......

...Just finished Flowers In The Attic and now on Petals on the Wind, VC Andrews. :lol3:

Wait a minute...speaking of Stephen King, The Stand (the complete version) is one of my absolute favorite books. I re-read it at least every other year. And I like Salem's Lot and The Dead Zone too. So..I guess I do have a slight taste for the scary after all.

But yeah, they give me nightmares. Boy I don't think I slept a single night while I was reading The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova)

Last edited:

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently finished reading The Iron Druid Chronicles. There are currently 4, Hounded, Hexed, Hammered, Tricked, and the 5th is due out in November. It is listed as urban fantasy. It has some of my favorite characters ever, and lots of pop culture references. Not to mention it is also hilarious. It is written by Kevin Hearne. They are contracted for 6, but there may possibly be 9. I hope so.

ibiscribe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just finished reading Star Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. It did not last more than a few days--my initial resolution to read 4 chapters a day went out the window around chapter four. :p I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the author was one of the writers for the Batman cartoon. I loved watching that cartoon.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished : Yargo by Jacqueline Susann

Then read Me and You by Niccolo Ammaniti. It's written by an Italian author. Don't know how much, if anything, is lost in the translation but it was incredible.

Now reading One of Ours by Willa Cather

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love, love, love crime novels specifically from the authors Karin Slaughter and Patricia Cornwell. I just finished Blindsighted   and I am currently reading Kisscut, both by Karin Slaughter.

I read the Hunger Game trilogy last month and have to admit I was slightly disappointed

Anyone else into Crime novels have any recommendations??

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love, love, love crime novels specifically from the authors Karin Slaughter and Patricia Cornwell. I just finished Blindsighted   and I am currently reading Kisscut, both by Karin Slaughter.

I read the Hunger Game trilogy last month and have to admit I was slightly disappointed

Anyone else into Crime novels have any recommendations??
Here are some of my favourite authors to read.  The crime/fbi type ones are in red. Many are authors of a series of novels where it's best to start with book 1 and read in series order.  A number of the authors I discovered from past "what are you reading" threads.

Michael Scott
Christopher Rice
Lynda LPlante
Dean Koontz
P.C. Cast
James Patterson
Vince Flynn
Lee Child  (Jack Reacher series)
Patricia Cornwell   (Scarpetta series)
Catherine Coulter
CJ Lyons
Michael Connelly
John Connolly
Ann Rule
Jack Higgins
Kathy Reichs
Kathleen McGowan

Brad Kelln
Robin Cook (medical mystery/crime)
Karen Rose
Whitley Strieber
Sherrilyn Kenyon & Diana Love
Ted Bell
Johathan Maberry
Maeve Bichy
Dan Brown
PJ Brooke
Paul Doherty (Medieval Crime)
Evie Rhodes (Semi Religious)
Caroline Petite
Lynda La Plante
Lauren Kate
Kate Dicamillo
Becca Fitzpatrick – hush hush
Scott Westerfeld – Leviathan
LJ Smith – Vampire Diaries
Lisa See

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What, no Rita Mae Brown or Lillian Jackson Braun?
:lol3: Or Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series?

After spending summer vacation reading a lot of medieval history, I've just switched back to "cat mysteries" and found a trio of them by an author I'd never heard of before: Copycat Killing, Sleight of Paw and Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly. They're pretty good.

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently reading the Secret Circle series by L.J. Smith. I love them.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen.  Fabulous book if you like reading war/espionage.

I'm now trying to read Game of Thrones. I have been watching the series on TV but have been so confused by the shear number of characters and stories.  So I'm hoping the book will help sort that out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.