What are you feeding your cat?

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

Trying to get some ideas. What are you feeding your cat(s) dry and wet food brand / flavors that they seem to not be able to resist?

Last edited:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed a combination of wet and dry to save costs. My cats both go crazy over Dr Elsey clean protein chicken kibble that I also use it for clicker training. My wet rotation so far includes Rawz, Purevita, and Wellness, although they both seem much less enthused about the Wellness. They've also had some Stella and Chewy pate and Tiki Cat after dark but were also OK about it, as much as I wanted them to love it! What really drives them crazy is churu treat sticks as well as the boiled chicken pieces I make for them, but those are treat and I only give them once in a while such as after a vet visit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That's a loaded question!! Theoretically, you will hear from so many people it will make your head spin about the varying options and the widely-differing preferences by cats.

But, here is my list: Fancy Feast pates, mostly any of them but fish - Feeby hates chunky food and almost all fish flavors. She also likes the FF Gourmet Naturals chicken, Wellness Core liver&chicken and turkey&duck pates, Purina True Nature liver&chicken pate, She will also eat Sheba, Nutro, Crave, & Iams perfect portions in pate, non-fish. I was using these when she didn't want a whole 3 oz can of food, but most of these seem to have fallen out of favor with her as of late. I do try to rotate what she does like so she can almost go an entire week without eating the same thing. She seems to like liver&chicken the best, but will tend to eat most flavors as long as liver is one of the primary ones.

She no longer is willing to eat any dry food.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two picky eaters. They both like Friskies canned poultry. They eat more pates than the other kinds like the shreds, filets, etc. I do give them those so they have a change in the food texture so avoid boredom. I have tried giving them higher quality foods but they won't eat them or they eat them for a bit and then decide they no longer like them. Usually right after I buy a case of it. Lilith is pickier than Sophie. I leave some Dr Elsey's chciken dry food out for her at all times so it's there if she decides she doesn't want the wet food in her dish. That's the only dry she will eat. Sophie is not a big dry food fan.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kind of a hard question to answer graycie loves those freeze dried krill/shrimp treats but refuses to eat any type of real fresh shrimp or any canned food with krill or real shrimp in it. what i do is just buy the small cans of different brands with different meats all grain free so she has variety the ones she likes best are wellness and nulo.so i always keep a case or so of those 2 brands on hand while testing other ones to see if she likes em

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we adopted our present cat he had been fed whatever dry food they had at the shelter. First, I transitioned him over to a better quality dry, Fromm Game Bird Recipe, then gradually to a canned pate, Pure Vita Turkey Entree. I won't lie it was not an easy transition since he was very finicky but I was patient and eventually it worked. 👍

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For dry I feed Purina One Indoor Advantage and for wet I've been using Friskies Poultry Platter, a variety of Fancy Feast Classic Pates, Tiny Tiger variety pack, Purina One pates, Authority pates, Merrick Perfect Bistro Rabbit and Duck. I try other wet for the fun of it or if there is a sale but the above is my standard rotation. My cats like them all. My boy eats mostly wet with a sprinkle of dry and the girls eat half wet, half dry.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For dry, I feed Instinct Ultimate Protein. For wet, she‘s extremely picky and will only eat Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers and Creamy Delights. I may order some Tiny Tiger Extra Gravy as an experiment for wet food at some point to see if she will deem it worthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are so picky! Thanks for suggestions!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Fancy feast extra gravy chicken and turkey, and Purina Pro plan Weight management dry. For a 'treat', I give them a small amount of Friskies Seafood dry, or Purina regular formula dry, and they think that is great.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet- Weruva (chicken based only)
Dry- Tiki Cat (used to feed Dr Elsey but that got too expensive and there has been a shortage lately with Chewy/Amazon/pet stores)

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All 3 of my cats get Dr. Elsey’s Cleanprotein kibble in the chicken flavour for dry. My boys (much less picky) are on Nulo Freestyle pates for their wet- specifically the ones that come in big cans because they’re more economical, so Turkey&chicken, tuna&duck, and salmon&mackerel. My girl, Mindy, only likes chunks in gravy. Right now she’s on Simply Nourish, but I’m hoping to switch her to something a little higher quality (Weruva or Tikicat probably) once it’s financially feasible/accessible. It’s worth noting I live in Canada, where we have a much narrower brand selection than the states and what we do have is hard to find and significantly more expensive.
Everyone here will have different standards and methods for feeding their cats- personally, my goal is to never feed my cats anything that is rated less than 8/10 paws on the cat food database (catfooddb.com).

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is currently on prescription food for dry, until then she’s been on Acana Wild Prairie as her dry food, Purina Gourmet Gold pate (it’s like Fancy Feast pate), and Miamor pate as her wet foods. She refuses to eat chunky wet foods and any wet food more than two cans a day. She also eats half a 80gr. can at most at one sitting.

I actually failed to do that myself with dry food but a vet whose opinion I respect always suggests if possible, not to stick with one food forever but rather rotating between different high premium foods in case there is something wrong with a particular one (for your cat) and also to get them use to different proteins/formulas. Hard to do with food intolerances and all though.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat gets 20g of Tiki Cat After Dark twice a day and 1/2 a cup of Wysong Epigen 90 kibble to graze on. For treats I rotate through various chicken and tuna flavored Greenies - dental, omega-3, and hairball control - in a puzzle feeder after breakfast and before bedtime, and if she behaves while I'm cooking meat I'll cook her a small unseasoned piece of chicken/fish/steak/etc separately.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Currently Delilah is on Wellness wet (1 5.5oz can per day) and I and Love and You (all I could find during the freeze in TX and it's a 5 pound bag) 2 tbsp per day. Delilah gets about 1/3 of a can in the morning, 1 tbsp dry in her timed feeder midday, 1/3 can dinnertime, 1/3 can bedtime, and 1tbsp dry for 3am. I tried Delilah on the Wellness dry and it's the first dry I've seen her turn her nose up with. I used to do Crave wet and dry, but the wet was discontinued. If they still have the dry I may go back to it after we finish the I and Love and You (a 5 pound bag has taken us about 3 months to get close to the bottom of the bag).

For rotation Delilah still will eat Fancy Feast and Sheba. With recent stomach upsets I don't want to go changing her food too soon unless it's something she's already eaten.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Primarily wet with a few times a week complete raw meals.

I am in Europe and the brands normally in our rotation are:

Meowing Heads - which is a soft pate.
Wellness Core - shreds and chunks (pate in Wellness Core is not available here)
Almo Nature - usually the mousse but sometimes the chunks in gravy.
Farmina - which has wet foods with a nice range of proteins: quail, boar, duck, venison, and lamb.
Monge - their shredded mono protein range - rabbit, turkey & buffalo. I skip the chicken & beef mono protein, as they get chicken & beef in too many other foods.
Go! - Usually only the minced lamb and wild boar.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our 5 rescues get wet in the morning, dry in evening. We were going strong with Friskies, but the last year changed that. We now have anything from Special Kitty at Walmart to clearanced but still in date specialty brands from PetSmart. (I stumbled upon a massive sale and stocked up on Tiki, Halo, etc.) They all prefer shreds or flakes, but pates go farther. One of the girls is not a fan of seafood, while the other can't get enough. And the 2 year old male hunts mice, moles, and rabbits.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My gal has Wellness Core Indoor dry in the morning and Sheba wet food in the evening. But she only takes the chicken flavor.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy some grocery store brands: Friskies, Fancy Feast, Sheba. Popular brands are popular with cats. It would cost too much money for both grocers and suppliers if this were not the case. Once you have your cats eating wet food over dry, you can steer them to more higher quality wet food. For the moisture alone, your junkiest wet food is still better than your best dry food. It's worth the transition no matter how picky your cats seem to be. There's another advantage to grocery store brands. Their gigantic distribution means they generally weather out supply and production shortages, such as those caused by a pandemic, better than smaller brands.