What are you craving??

Status
Not open for further replies.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I still can't get past the cupcake. :dk:
Speaking of which, I saw the YUMMIEST looking cupcakes today at the grocery store bakery. :drool: They were huge, chocolate cake, loaded with very colorful buttercream frosting and decorated with darling sprinkles and chocolate bits. BUT, sadly, :lol3: I couldn't bring them home. Larry and I are trying SOOOOOO hard to stay away from such delicious, calorie/fat packed goodies at the moment. AND, hubby asked me to NOT bring home such things and wants my help in losing a few.

Yup, I am craving those cupcakes.

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I still can't get past the cupcake.
Speaking of which, I saw the YUMMIEST looking cupcakes today at the grocery store bakery.
They were huge, chocolate cake, loaded with very colorful buttercream frosting and decorated with darling sprinkles and chocolate bits. BUT, sadly,
I couldn't bring them home. Larry and I are trying SOOOOOO hard to stay away from such delicious, calorie/fat packed goodies at the moment. AND, hubby asked me to NOT bring home such things and wants my help in losing a few.

Wow, you have such willpower.

After reading this post, and caving to the power of suggestion, I have a strong craving for any type of cupcake, now.

Its going on the grocery list, all 330 calories...
..lol.  Can't wait for tomorrow and grocery shopping.

(having it every once in a while should be okay, for me...lol)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Shoo fly pie is really good, but so is the cake. I made one this morning and gave a little more than half of it to Rick to give to his parents when he went in to take his mom to church. I know they like shoo fly cake, too, and that way we won't have it all here. And when I cut it, I took a hunk to "test". 

So for now, I'm not really craving anything (but give me time).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of which, I saw the YUMMIEST looking cupcakes today at the grocery store bakery. :drool: They were huge, chocolate cake, loaded with very colorful buttercream frosting and decorated with darling sprinkles and chocolate bits. BUT, sadly, :lol3: I couldn't bring them home. Larry and I are trying SOOOOOO hard to stay away from such delicious, calorie/fat packed goodies at the moment. AND, hubby asked me to NOT bring home such things and wants my help in losing a few.

2 elephants just tore past my bedroom
But that's not what I wanted to say. I wanted to say OMG about the cupcakes. Can't you eat one out so you won't harm your husband? :D

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoo fly pie is really good, but so is the cake. I made one this morning and gave a little more than half of it to Rick to give to his parents when he went in to take his mom to church. I know they like shoo fly cake, too, and that way we won't have it all here. And when I cut it, I took a hunk to "test". 

So for now, I'm not really craving anything (but give me time).
What is shoo fly cake?
I'm always asking what's this and what's that. What a pain I am.
:sigh:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What is shoo fly cake?
I'm always asking what's this and what's that. What a pain I am.
Shoo fly cake is a Pennsylvania Dutch dessert, I think. It's like a shoo fly pie, but it's a cake. You make crumbs by cutting butter into a mixture of flour, sugar, and salt. Once you've got the crumbs (pea-sized or just a wee bit bigger), remove about 1-1/4 cups of the crumbs and set them aside. To the rest of the crumbs, you add molasses, a mixture of baking soda and boiling water, and then hot water. Pour the batter into a greased 13 x 9-inch pan. And those crumbs that were set aside? You sprinkle them on top of the cake batter in the pan. Throw it into the 350 degree F oven and bake about 40 minutes or so. Set it on a wire rack to cool....although it's decadent served warm with a scoop (or three) of vanilla ice cream.

With a shoo fly pie, you make the pie crust and shape it into your pie pan. Then you pretty much do the same thing (amounts are different). Pour the batter into the crust, sprinkle with the crumbs, and bake. There are two types, a wet shoo fly and a dry shoo fly. The wet pie is a wetter batter when the pie is done....it's not a custard, but it's not a regular pie either.....hard to explain. The dry shoo fly pie is simply with a drier pie after it's been baked. I love a wet pie, but many people prefer the drier one.

It got the name "shoo fly" pie or cake because the baker would put it on a window sill to cool down after it came out of the oven. And the molasses-y mixture supposedly attracted flies. So the baker would waive her arms around, saying, "Shoo, flies!" 
 At least that's the story my Grandma told me.

I can tell you that it is a seriously good pie. Or cake. Whichever one you'd decide to make, it's really good. If you like molasses, that is. (One time I forgot to add the mixture of boiling water and baking soda....cake was about an inch high! Oops)

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shoo fly cake is a Pennsylvania Dutch dessert, I think. It's like a shoo fly pie, but it's a cake. You make crumbs by cutting butter into a mixture of flour, sugar, and salt. Once you've got the crumbs (pea-sized or just a wee bit bigger), remove about 1-1/4 cups of the crumbs and set them aside. To the rest of the crumbs, you add molasses, a mixture of baking soda and boiling water, and then hot water. Pour the batter into a greased 13 x 9-inch pan. And those crumbs that were set aside? You sprinkle them on top of the cake batter in the pan. Throw it into the 350 degree F oven and bake about 40 minutes or so. Set it on a wire rack to cool....although it's decadent served warm with a scoop (or three) of vanilla ice cream.

With a shoo fly pie, you make the pie crust and shape it into your pie pan. Then you pretty much do the same thing (amounts are different). Pour the batter into the crust, sprinkle with the crumbs, and bake. There are two types, a wet shoo fly and a dry shoo fly. The wet pie is a wetter batter when the pie is done....it's not a custard, but it's not a regular pie either.....hard to explain. The dry shoo fly pie is simply with a drier pie after it's been baked. I love a wet pie, but many people prefer the drier one.

It got the name "shoo fly" pie or cake because the baker would put it on a window sill to cool down after it came out of the oven. And the molasses-y mixture supposedly attracted flies. So the baker would waive her arms around, saying, "Shoo, flies!" :lol3:  At least that's the story my Grandma told me

I can tell you that it is a seriously good pie. Or cake. Whichever one you'd decide to make, it's really good. If you like molasses, that is. (One time I forgot to add the mixture of boiling water and baking soda....cake was about an inch high! Oops)
No molasses here

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm craving a burger right now. Mmm...mmm...good!
I am now....because of the "mmm....mmm ..good"  part. 
  lol

But I rather was craving pasta, meat sauce and green salad on the side. 
(yeah...its lunch time) 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry.
Don't be. I was trying to think of something new and delicious. I adore violet candy and then cream it and cover it with chocolate. I see some computer time coming up to find some. Have you ever Googled.the term   Bulk Candy  ? This is one of the hits you will get.    www.oldtimecandy.com/Bulk-Candy_c_1902-1-3.html#     Can you imagine buying this ? www.oldtimecandy.com/jelly-candy.htm    or this?   www.oldtimecandy.com/chocolate-milk.htm

Hopefully, now I have paid you back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.