What Are These? Vomit Or Something Else?

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need your help. I came back home tonight and saw a few pools of clear liquid with foam in them around the bathroom. At first I thought it was pee, but it didn't smell at all and she's never had a littler problem before. It was still wet so it must not be long before I came home. Then near the kitchen sink I saw another pool of liquid with foam, only this time it was dark brown, smelled faintly of soy sauce, seemed to have some hair in it (can't tell for sure), and it was dry.

What were they? Vomit? But it didn't smell and there was no food in the pools. (Should vomit smell?) Hypersalivation? Or was the clear one hypersalivation but the brown one vomit?

I feed her Weruva BFF Tuna which has the same blackish brown color as the "kitchen pool", and I mix it with Weruva CITK chicken and turkey. She's never had a problem with the food before. The only change I made in the last couple of days was that I increased her wet food portion and reduced her dry kibble to a minimal amount (after reading catinfo.org).

She got a clean bill of health from the shelter vet when I adopted her a month ago, and also got a clean bill of health from her new vet a little over a week ago. The only accident was that yesterday morning I accidentally stepped on her as I was in the kitchen for just a few seconds and didn't know that she came behind me. I actually never saw where I stepped, just heard this loud panicky scream and lifted my foot a second later when I realized what happened and she ran away. I was very worried, but throughout yesterday and today she has been running and jumping and playing and purring just like the usual.

I don't want to unnecessarily pay for a vet visit or worry, but do want to identify what the liquids were and what to look out for in the next few days. Thanks!
IMG_2254(1).JPG

IMG_2256(1).JPG

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All look like vomit to me. The clear ones without food just mean there was no food in her stomach, but she probably ingested something (a bit of carpet/rope/toy bits/etc) that is she is trying to expel. DON'T PANIC!!! As long as she continues eating/drinking/pooping/peeing and her energy seems normal, it will pass...one way or another. :D

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agree with above poster. It all looks like vomit. Don't panic. Does she have fresh clean grass occasionally? I bring my cat some from my yard because I know it has no pesticides ect. but they have good wheat grass kits and stuff on line for indoor cats. The grass helps them clean their stomachs out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely looks like vomit, maybe she's trying to cough up a hairball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all! I certainly needed some calming voices to tell me not to panic. She was very content last night and slept on me for quite a while, but I will continue to monitor her food intake and behaviour.

I've seen her eating a hairball once, and I've never found any hairballs in the house. Maybe she does inject them and will occasionally cough them up?

I didn't know that cat grass helps clean their stomachs out; thanks for the info! I'll look into it!

:hellocomputer: