What are these little pads above my cats carpal pad?

hfbeckett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always thought they were the carpal pad, but I found out that they are not. They also have little whiskers growing out of them on both front paws. I'm not sure what breed my cat is either so I don't know if that matters. It doesn't hurt when I touch them and they're completely covered in fur, even when I wet the area I can't see underneath it. Does anyone know what they are? Do all cats have them, I'm thinking maybe.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Do all cats have them, I'm thinking maybe.
Yes, all cats have them and they act like little shock absorbers or anti skid pads.

The ‘whisker’ like furs are there for them to feel around in the dark especially while tracking preys in the prone position as these ‘whiskers’ on the feet help them detect slight vibrations in the ground so that they can zero in to the prey better.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The technical name for the "whiskers" is "vibrissae," and they're the same as the whiskers on your cat's face; work the same way, just in a different place so they do a slightly different job (the facial whiskers mostly tell your kitty whether a hole is too small to get through).

Not many people are observant enough to spot the ones just above the feet - kudos, H hfbeckett !

Margret

Last edited: