What are the chances of a black cat with blue eyes?

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm asking this purely out of curiosity. I have three black foster kittens who are a little over 3 months old. Two of them have eyes that are changing to yellow/green.

The third's eyes have only become a lighter blue. I know it's too soon to tell and it will probably change, but since she's up for adoption now I'll likely never see the final colour. I suspect she may be pointed (is that a thing in black cats? Am I talking BS?), because when the two girls were very sick her sister started going grey all over, but she only got grey hairs on her face, like a siamese.

Tl;dr What are the chances statistically of a black cat having blue eyes?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm not sure. But I have 2 Siamese with blue eyes (to photo) and their mom was black (bottom) the tabby is a different litter
AB418F04-964A-4E75-A4ED-0ACFB080D17A.jpeg
7D51886B-CEE4-45E6-BAA5-6ECCE7EC65A3.jpeg

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suspect she may be pointed (is that a thing in black cats? Am I talking BS?), because when the two girls were very sick her sister started going grey all over, but she only got grey hairs on her face, like a siamese.
I'm not sure what tou mean by this. Can you elaborate or show photos (whether of your kittens or cats that show what you're talking about in terms of "like a Siamese")?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what tou mean by this. Can you elaborate or show photos (whether of your kittens or cats that show what you're talking about in terms of "like a Siamese")?
I've seen a few posts on this site from people with siamese cats. When their cat got very sick, their face turned grey. It was speculated that the cats got a fever and so their face heated up, causing the temperature-sensitive point to turn white.

I'm probably talking nonsense. I may have a fever 😵

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen a few posts on this site from people with siamese cats. When their cat got very sick, their face turned grey. It was speculated that the cats got a fever and so their face heated up, causing the temperature-sensitive point to turn white.

I'm probably talking nonsense. I may have a fever 😵
From my understanding of Siamese color, that could be true. I was told they change color depending on body temp. Mine definitely have changed to a darker color in the last 5 months that i have had them.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats can’t have blue eyes unless they have white on their face, or have the dom blue (Altai) gene which is pretty rare outside of breeding programs. Those cats will commonly have white on them, as well.
Good green eyes will start changing later in life than other colours, so he’ll most likely have vibrant green eyes in a few months. Only time will tell, though.

Not sure what you mean by a black cat being pointed. Either he’s seal point, or he’s solid black.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm asking this purely out of curiosity. I have three black foster kittens who are a little over 3 months old. Two of them have eyes that are changing to yellow/green.

The third's eyes have only become a lighter blue. I know it's too soon to tell and it will probably change, but since she's up for adoption now I'll likely never see the final colour. I suspect she may be pointed (is that a thing in black cats? Am I talking BS?), because when the two girls were very sick her sister started going grey all over, but she only got grey hairs on her face, like a siamese.

Tl;dr What are the chances statistically of a black cat having blue eyes?
Sometimes the eyes stay blue longer and then turn bright green, that happened with Angie. She also looked like a wedgie when tiny but ended up more like anapple head/ traditional.
As for solid blk cats and blue eyes, it can happen, or so I have read but it is rare.

There was a breed called Ojos Azules, where a mutation in a feral cat, not related to what causes blue eyes in siamese cats and other cats, caused darker coated and blk cats to have bright blue eyes. But the mutation also caused terrible problems when breeding two blue eyed cats and breeding was stopped.

I have also read in some articles that in siamese cats you can have rare blk cats with the blue eyes due to genetic issues not behaving the way they should maybe. I am not sure if this is accurate though. I think some people who breed os mix them with siamese and will call a non pointed cat siamese, but usually the black cats have yellow, green or amber orange eyes.

I have never seen a solid blk cat with blue eyes. My Wizard had yellow eyes. If they have green eyes they have less pigment in the eyes and for blue eyes there is a lack of pigment and the color is reflected. The same is true in people, although I read in people that blue eyed people have a brown layer of pigment below which is not visible.

Blk and white cats usually with white on the face can have blue eyes too. I haven’t seen any in my area.

My Zena is a dlh blk white tuxedo who is dichroic, his eyes are green in the center and yellow on the outside. His face is black. His nose is black but his paw pads are pink and black. I will post a pic of his eyes later. 😀

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure what you mean by a black cat being pointed. Either he’s seal point, or he’s solid black.
I just have no idea what I'm talking about 😂

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I may have to read up a bit about cat colour genetics.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just have no idea what I'm talking about 😂

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I may have to read up a bit about cat colour genetics.
Do you have any sort of photos? Of the kittens at any point but particularly with the grey face you're mentioning.