What are the benefits of getting a third cat?

Catvivid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw sorry if I posted in the wrong section

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on your situation as to how a third cat would benefit (or not) your circumstances. Why are you wanting to get another cat? What is the current situation with the two you already have?

Overall, if you can afford and have the time to add a third (extra food, litter, vet care, etc...) then the benefits are that you have one more kitty to adore! LOL!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catvivid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It all depends on your situation as to how a third cat would benefit (or not) your circumstances. Why are you wanting to get another cat? What is the current situation with the two you already have?

Overall, if you can afford and have the time to add a third (extra food, litter, vet care, etc...) then the benefits are that you have one more kitty to adore! LOL!
i want a third cat because.. cats. and wdym the current situation?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a kitty who needs a play mate because the other one is old and cranky?
Do you think your cats would be overall accepting of a third addition?
We at one point had 4 cats. The fourth ended up with behavioral and urination issues, so for us, bringing in any more after him, even if all the others would have passed away, would not have been good for us. We made the decision that we would not adopt anymore until he passed away.
At one time, one of our cats had significant medical needs, so we would not have adopted another with all the extra time and money he needed.
So, yeah, that's what I mean by your current situation, just the overall dynamic of your current cats, your finances, your time/availability, etc...does play a factor in bringing in another.
If nothing really jumps out at you...then have fun with your new kitty or kitties!!!!

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 8, as long as they get along and you can care for them all properly, why not. The benefits are always someone else to cuddle with when the others are bored with you. Cats! Lol

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are your cats. When my cat Josie was 13rescued peaches 5 weeks old. Josie was not much of a playmate with peaches but she did lick her a lot. When I rescued Maggie 3 months old, peaches a year older peaches had a playmate. Josie was the referee. She would stop them if Maggie was pestering Peaches too much. Now that Peaches and Maggie are adult they rarely play together

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As other have said, it really depends on your other cats, your reasoning, and what you can afford. I have 12 cats in my house at the moment. Three are my son and his fiancee's and will be moving with them into their new house; however, all 12 could stay and I would be happy. Their ages range from about 3 or 4 months to 16 1/2 years.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always said that I would never have more than 2 cats and definitely not a kitten, but a few months ago, I was looking into adopting a dog and wasn't finding any that were good with cats. I then perused the rescue where I got my two cats and randomly decided to put in an application for a kitten. Within a month I had Flora. I don't regret getting her. I have the financial means to take on three cats and I have the space, so it worked out. I will also second what everyone else said about the ages of the cats involved.