What Are Some of Your Most Loved Tearjerker Films or Books and a Favorite Scene?😿

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"An affair to Remember" with Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant made me weep. It has been a long time since I've seen it but even now my eyes fill with tears.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
"An affair to Remember" with Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant made me weep. It has been a long time since I've seen it but even now my eyes fill with tears.
Yeah. so good. when he sees the wheelchair, I start. sobbing I named my little Nikkie kitty, who is now at the bridge, after
that character.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
The last scene in Thelma & Louise always brings a tear to my eye. Men aren't going to understand it, so don't bother trying; it's a chick thing.

I don't like movies about animals dying. I've always been that way. When my parents were trying to decide if I was old enough to see "Jaws" on visitation day, they decided against it because of the scene with the dog.

Dead and dismembered people wouldn't have given 8-year-old me any nightmares because I would remember that it was just pretend. :lol:

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As others have said, any movie with an animal dying is sad.

Any movies in which bad things happen to children are always sad. The scene in My Girl when Vada comes in during Thomas J's funeral and starts sobbing and saying that his face hurts and he needs his glasses is especially heartbreaking. The Bear (with Danny DeVito and Miko Hughes) and Bastard Out of Carolina (especially the last scene with the mother and daughter) have a lot of sad moments. Radio Flyer always get to me, even though it has a happy ending, in a way.

Last edited:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
'The Elephant Man' with John Hurt. 'I am not an animal...' :bawling:

And as others have said, anything where animals die. (Can't watch wildlife documentaries any more either).

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hachi, A Dog's Tale (2009 movie) of Richard Gere. I cried buckets and buckets from this movie. It broke my heart to see this dog waiting for years for his owner and best friend at the train station. This is my favorite true story so far revolving about a dog.

Marley and Me (2008 movie) of Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston - the parts when Marley was dying, and when the kids saying goodbye.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Hachi, A Dog's Tale (2009 movie) of Richard Gere. I cried buckets and buckets from this movie. It broke my heart to see this dog waiting for years for his owner and best friend at the train station. This is my favorite true story so far revolving about a dog.
I couldn't even watch the movie knowing it was a true story

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot about Hachi. Watched it a couple of years ago. :(

Beaches is another one for me.

Re wildlife documentaries, the one that stopped me watching them forever was one where they were following a tigress and her cubs - one of the tiny scraps was born blind. In my head I know they cannot intervene/natural selection etc, but I remember screaming at the TV 'why can't you save him?!'. He disappeared and when they found his poor, tiny little body I was heartbroken. I cannot watch them at all now.

I am writing this on the bus and I am very nearly crying! :( :(

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine is an old movie from the 30s, Stella Dallas with Barbara Stanwyck it is soo good.
The last seen is a tearjerker but in a good way.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The 60s film Charlie, starring Cliff Roberson, was the film version of the book, Flowers for Algernon. Cliff payed a man
who was very mentally challenged, maybe the mind of an 8 year old. Some docs had come up with a way to improve
a person's intelligence and they tried it out on Charlie.He became a genius and had a relationship with one of the docs
played by Claire Bloom.The procedure didn't last and the last 20 minutes of the film I was sobbing with a few of my g.f.s.
I will not watch it again even though it's wonderful. I think Cliff may have received an Oscar but I'm not certain.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
The 60s film Charlie, starring Cliff Roberson, was the film version of the book, Flowers for Algernon. Cliff payed a man
who was very mentally challenged, maybe the mind of an 8 year old. Some docs had come up with a way to improve
a person's intelligence and they tried it out on Charlie.He became a genius and had a relationship with one of the docs
played by Claire Bloom.The procedure didn't last and the last 20 minutes of the film I was sobbing with a few of my g.f.s.
I will not watch it again even though it's wonderful. I think Cliff may have received an Oscar but I'm not certain.
Oh yes! I read that book.

Old movie from 1946, "The Best Years of Our Lives." About WWII vets returning home.