What Are Good "wet Food" Cat Food Recommendations?

RoofTopPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What Wet Cat Food; Do Most Of You Fur Mama's
(and) Fur Daddies On These Forums Use For Your Cats?

I'm Going
Too Soon Be Adopting My 2-nd Cat;
(after)
12-Years Of Being Cat-less.

So I was Looking for Some Great Quality
"Wet Food" Recommendations.
I was wondering how much things have
Changed In the Cat Food Arena
Since the 1980's (To) Early 2000's?
Back then I fed Friskie's Wet Foods;
(and) Had NO Problems
(or) No Health Issues with it.

Regarding My Previous Experience with Friskie's;
I Will Like to another Post Of Mine Here:

Is Friskies a good cat wet food brand?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats Dr Elseys canned chicken and Turkey. I mix in some miko to add more protein. The ingredients look good for fussie cat but I prefer my cats have 60% fat

Last edited:

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed blue buffalo wilderness chicken, blue buffalo wilderness salmon, wellness core beef& chicken shreds, and tiki cat chicken& lamb. I wanted to make sure she liked a variety of foods just in case one went under a recall of got discontinued.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Hima has a strong preference to pate/mousse texture and barely if any eats chunky wet foods.

I also recommend checking the calorie and protein content and taking that into consideration about the cost. Some cheaper wet foods out there are lower in calorie/protein and recommended like 4 cans a day for a 4kg cat. The same amount of calorie/protein comes from only 2 cans of food with some other foods.

Hima's current favorites are

Chicken | Naturea

Purina Pro Plan Delicate 24 x 85g

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given the mention here of cats' individual preferences -- something many of us notice with our cats! -- the best advice I have is based on the criteria I use when deciding what to feed our cats. This is an ongoing process, given new foods and their ever-changing preferences!

First, decide what ingredients you don't want to feed. For me those things include all grains, legumes, and potato ingredients. Plus carrageenan.

Second, decide what ingredients you're okay with feeding in limited quantities. Here, those include menadione, agar-agar, and fish. I have varying tolerances for feeding those.

Third, if you're a "buy local" person like I am, go to the stores nearest you to see what they have. Store prices can vary tremendously so shop around and be sure to ask about loyalty programs: some are generous and can make foods as cheap or cheaper than online prices. Plus you can often get free advice, samples, and news about upcoming products.

Fourth, when preparing for your new cat, buy a selection of foods that fit your criteria. When we adopted our cats, we had lots of food leftover from our previous cat, who'd been sick and didn't want to eat much. Having all that variety -- chunks, pates, all kinds of proteins -- was great because there were so many things we could try out on the new cats. Ultimately, it's your cat who will decide what she wants to eat, so if you buy cases of food, you may end up with a lot of leftovers! Then again, you might hit things just right from the start.

As Neko-chan's mama Neko-chan's mama says, it's good to feed more than one kind of food, in case of recalls and discontinued products. I'll add recipe changes that, too: cats can be very sensitive to those: we've had to knock several foods from the rotation because of recipes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RoofTopPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cats Dr Elseys canned chicken and Turkey. I mix in some miko to add more protein. The ingredients look good for fussie cat but I prefer my cats have 60% fat
I feed blue buffalo wilderness chicken, blue buffalo wilderness salmon, wellness core beef& chicken shreds, and tiki cat chicken& lamb. I wanted to make sure she liked a variety of foods just in case one went under a recall of got discontinued.
Given the mention here of cats' individual preferences -- something many of us notice with our cats! -- the best advice I have is based on the criteria I use when deciding what to feed our cats. This is an ongoing process, given new foods and their ever-changing preferences!

First, decide what ingredients you don't want to feed. For me those things include all grains, legumes, and potato ingredients. Plus carrageenan.

Second, decide what ingredients you're okay with feeding in limited quantities. Here, those include menadione, agar-agar, and fish. I have varying tolerances for feeding those.

Third, if you're a "buy local" person like I am, go to the stores nearest you to see what they have. Store prices can vary tremendously so shop around and be sure to ask about loyalty programs: some are generous and can make foods as cheap or cheaper than online prices. Plus you can often get free advice, samples, and news about upcoming products.

Fourth, when preparing for your new cat, buy a selection of foods that fit your criteria. When we adopted our cats, we had lots of food leftover from our previous cat, who'd been sick and didn't want to eat much. Having all that variety -- chunks, pates, all kinds of proteins -- was great because there were so many things we could try out on the new cats. Ultimately, it's your cat who will decide what she wants to eat, so if you buy cases of food, you may end up with a lot of leftovers! Then again, you might hit things just right from the start.

As Neko-chan's mama Neko-chan's mama says, it's good to feed more than one kind of food, in case of recalls and discontinued products. I'll add recipe changes that, too: cats can be very sensitive to those: we've had to knock several foods from the rotation because of recipes.
Thanks For all the Help / Recommendations!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RoofTopPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that ALL Cat's are Individuals; (and) Therefore have Their OWN Preferences; BUT For the MOST Part; What Form Of Wet Food; Do The Better 70% Cat's Prefer The Most??? i.e. Pate; Flaked; Meaty Morsels; Grilled; (or) Minced???

A Chat Rep. On Chewy.com said from their observations here on my end I think most cats like the pate, flaked, or grilled more.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cats prefer grilled or pieces in some sort of gravy.....but both will also eat pate. We compromise. They eat pate for breakfast, and get grilled or something like that in the evening

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Our three cats get:

Tiny Tiger (from Chewy)
Paws and Claws Kitchen Selects (from Tractor Supply)
Fancy Feast Classic pates
Friskies pates (occasionally, maybe 2-3 times/week)
Redbarn lamb

They get Dr. Elsey'S chicken kibble as a nighttime snack (~1 tablespoon each)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that ALL Cat's are Individuals; (and) Therefore have Their OWN Preferences; BUT For the MOST Part; What Form Of Wet Food; Do The Better 70% Cat's Prefer The Most??? i.e. Pate; Flaked; Meaty Morsels; Grilled; (or) Minced???

A Chat Rep. On Chewy.com said from their observations here on my end I think most cats like the pate, flaked, or grilled more.
Honestly, I have no idea! Our cats eat all different kinds. For them, I think the most important thing is that it has some sort of flavor that they like. Their favorite foods are homemade (as well they should be since I make them!) and they only get one canned meal a day but even so, variety is key.

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat mainly Blue Wilderness and put Tiki and Sheba into the rotation. He has a bad grain allergy so it’s important that I make sure it’s all grain free

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to stay under $1 per 5.5 oz can so my choices are limited, lately I've been feeding Authority which to me seems to have good ingredients, I don't mind the rice too much. I did just purchase some WholeHearted because they just changed their recipe to exclude the gums, is grain free, and is all natural, hopefully my cats like it:)

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would like to add if you're buying individual cans at first but two of each brand\flavor before buying a case. I made that mistake with Instinct food. She liked the first can by then didn't want it any more. I ended up throwing away nearly a dozen cans of high quality, expensive food.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to add if you're buying individual cans at first but two of each brand\flavor before buying a case. I made that mistake with Instinct food. She liked the first can by then didn't want it any more. I ended up throwing away nearly a dozen cans of high quality, expensive food.
I bought a case of Vintage cat food from Costco. They liked it for a bit, then decided neither one of them liked it anymore and flat out refused it. I donated what I had left to the shelter, along with any other cans of food I had that they wouldn’t eat. Just donate what they won’t eat.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a case of Vintage cat food from Costco. They liked it for a bit, then decided neither one of them liked it anymore and flat out refused it. I donated what I had left to the shelter, along with any other cans of food I had that they wouldn’t eat. Just donate what they won’t eat.
Costco would have definitely given you a full refund.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to stay under $1 per 5.5 oz can so my choices are limited, lately I've been feeding Authority which to me seems to have good ingredients, I don't mind the rice too much. I did just purchase some WholeHearted because they just changed their recipe to exclude the gums, is grain free, and is all natural, hopefully my cats like it:)
My cats didn't like it:(