What a wicked weather night

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had some really severe storms move in last night and I have to tell you I have never seen the wind blowing so hard in all of my life. It looked like a hurricane blew in..large trees were swaying so hard I was sure that we would have one in our front give. It was scary. Many fences in my neighborhood including both of my neighbors are down (mine stayed up), and we lost power for about 4 hours. I hope everyone around me stayed safe.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you and the cats are safe! Hopefully your weather stays calm today.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you find out how strong the winds were?? We had a wind shear about 18 months ago which caused lots of tree damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was recorded winds up to 100mph in some area's local...here they are saying around 80-90mph..My friend just called me and she is going to work and said that it appears that my area was hit very hard with many trees down covering the roads, stop lights out everywhere, and many many fences down...our sirens never went off, but we took cover anyway in fear that my big tree in the front of the house was going to come down on the house...to the back of the house we went...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good lord, are you sure no funnel clouds were spotted? That sounds very close to hurricane strength...at least as strong as a tropical storm. Glad to hear you all are safe and no damage to your home or property. Gotta love mother nature sometimes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, many funnels were spotted, but no confirmed touch downs as of yet. Now they are saying that we may be in for more storms later today. We have just been pounded by storms here lately, one bad one at least once a week..God knows we need the rain, but everything else needs to stay far far away!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm from Canada but I've been here in Texas for the past week and a half on business. Last night was really scary! It looked like nighttime at 6pm. I've heard that there was quite a bit of damage done.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also in Texas and got the earlier (yet very scary) version of the storms that hit DFW hard. I think there was a tornado in Ellis Cty--saw something about it last night.

We just lost a few small branches and a lot of leaves on our trees. A little flooding in the nearby creek as well. Fun, fun! Texas in spring is always interesting.

Cally

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH keeps kidding about moving to Texas....no way! I am glad you are ok.
We had some horrible lightening/thunder the other night & hail for a few minutes. I was freaking out that a tornado was coming. I think it was almost 10 years ago when a small tornado did touch down. I was sleeping at DH's house and was freaking out. The lightening sparked a fire across the street and I saw horizontal rain. I cried myself to sleep while DH said it was just a storm it will pass. When I got home in the morning (just around the corner) my cousins were over with their food. Apparently the tornado touched down in their backyard. They didn't have electricity for days. I smacked him and told him next time he is staying awake with me.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I'm from Canada but I've been here in Texas for the past week and a half on business. Last night was really scary! It looked like nighttime at 6pm. I've heard that there was quite a bit of damage done.
It was completely normal here Tracy, a little rain but thats it...don't worry, you'll be home to no tornado land soon enough

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, lots of trees and fences down in my part of Plano, too, and those big hinged-top trash cans were scattered all over the neighborhood. I love storms, and I went out driving last night after the worst of the winds passed, just for fun.
No, I don't have good sense...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes, lots of trees and fences down in my part of Plano, too, and those big hinged-top trash cans were scattered all over the neighborhood. I love storms, and I went out driving last night after the worst of the winds passed, just for fun.
No, I don't have good sense...
That is so what I would've done!

I hope all our members in TX are safe. I heard about the storms on the radio & TV today & was very glad I don't live in TX.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another Texan member here! My neighborhood got the worst of the storm last night I think...I was up late working on a paper, and the storm seemed to be mostly dying down. But the lights went out, and when I looked out the window, I'm pretty sure the top of one of the power poles was knocked down, live sparking wires everywhere! Somehow a truck got stuck on top of it too...I'm not so sure that guy was sober...

This was about three in the morning...not having a flashlight and being a rather small girl living on my own, I figured it wasn't very smart for me to go out there, and some of my neighbors did, so I called the outage in, and an ambulance showed up, but I don't think anyone was hurt.

This morning, I wasn't sure I'd be able to get to work with all the power company trucks that were here trying to fix all the damage...Tons of wires down right in front of my complex, and one of the poles about a half-block away was broken near its base, probably from a lightening strike. It took them six or seven hours to fix everything, I think. But there wasn't any damage anywhere else in town.

But in the end, its all fixed, and no one that I know of was hurt, so it all turns out well. Talk about scary weather though!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straight line winds can do as much damage as small tornados.
I grew up near the National Severe Storms Center, where they do all of the testing for the "future" technology. We always had the best and most accurate group of weather people out there, so living in North Texas is a huge drop in reliability. They predicted Monday and Tuesday would be worse than Wednesday - <sigh>.
A home in north Plano caught fire Wednesday night when 4 power poles fell on it. Fortunately, it was empty (for sale). Power in the area was still out Thursday night.
A power pole in our neighborhood was leaning at a 45 degree angle over the main exit road. The detour was a nightmare.
We have 10 large trees on our property which we have an Arborist trim every 2-3 years. It's not cheap, but we rarely have any damage. We lost one small limb while neighbors lost multiple trees.
The good news is our lakes are filling back up though we will still be under drought restrictions this year.