We've Got the Winter Blahs

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats and I do, that is.

I have an ~8-year-old female (shy, inquisitive, gentle) and a ~4-year-old male (boisterous, tense, perceptive). And lately it seems we've all been bored. Seems like there's nothing new to do--either me with the cats, or them with anything in the apartment. We've gotten into a routine... I wake up, Tiny pushes me out of bed, feed them, clean their boxes, snuggle Christy. Then later when I get back I feed them, snuggle Christy again, get chased by Tiny and/or chase Tiny, sit in front of the computer or with a book for a few hours, and give Tiny permission to jump up on the bed and snuggle me before I go to sleep. The cats spend most of the day lounging on the bed (Tiny) or watching out the window (Christy). We're all familiar with all of our toys. Christy has explored all the cupboards and now just climbs to the top of the kitchen to gaze down at the rest of us (being, of course, the queen of the house, and shall we never forget it).

So yeah, this isn't a problem behavior so much as... boredom. There's nothing new to do. The routine's comfortable but I know both of my cats are smart little fuzzballs who'd like to have something new to figure out once in a while. Sooner or later, they're going to find something to figure out and I'll have more to deal with than just Christy's tongue marks on whatever food I've left out by mistake or Tiny's ambushing me from somewhere. They're going to find a way to make trouble. I know these two.

So we need something new. Any ideas?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm a big fan of the cardboard box.. my two have been driving me nuts as it's been pouring for days and their enclosure is not inviting.. So I've collected all the cardboard boxes and made a kind of maze with them.. putting some on their sides with smaller ones inside etc etc..

They're having a ball. Not exactly neat and tidy in the house at the moment, but the cats are are happy..

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a big fan of the cardboard box.. my two have been driving me nuts as it's been pouring for days and their enclosure is not inviting.. So I've collected all the cardboard boxes and made a kind of maze with them.. putting some on their sides with smaller ones inside etc etc..

They're having a ball. Not exactly neat and tidy in the house at the moment, but the cats are are happy..
Isn't that the most important thing?