Wet Food

Running Matches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question regarding wet food. Whenever I give wet food to my 13 week old kitten she always eats a bit then she goes to sleep or play and then she always comes back to finish the rest. Is this okay? Doesn’t it spoil? I feed her Friskies Pate and I want to know if I can keep this food from spoiling or not cause I feed her two cans a day and sometimes I just end up throwing half a can away is she only supposed to eat one can a day or two or do I give her half a can and then refrigerate it and give it to her later? I’m sorry if this question has been asked before but I would really like to know.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can you time her second round that she comes back and finish the food? That should be the time that she is really hungry.

A kitten at that age needs lots of proteins from the wet food for growth. And they eats lots and often.

It’ll be good if she is fed in scheduled timing. She needs to eat at least 4 times a day if not five which depends on the amount she finishes at one sitting.

Feed her as much as she can eat and that’ll be the tough gauge of amount at one sitting. You can never over feed a kitten.

Once you have this regime, you’ll have better control over the food that won’t go to waste.
Wet food last longer out in cooler temperatures than hot. Any unfinished food in a can usually last around 5 hours before the taste and aroma changes. If your kitty is not sensitive to a little stale food, she might finish up the balance. Else she’ll turn her nose up on stale food.

You can use catering wraps to tightly seal up the unfinished can and feed her on the next round. Not necessarily to be kept in the fridge as she’ll be eating very often. But if you think the food is not that fresh to be served to her after a few hours, then discard it and give her fresh ones.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pet stores sell lids for canned food. Or just transfer what's in the can to a food storage container. An opened can of food will keep for a few days in the fridge. You can even freeze it and just take it out to thaw in the fridge before serving.

Kittens are generally fed as much as they want to eat as often as they want. They're growing so need lots of food. How big are the Friskies cans? Two 5.5 oz cans is enough for most kittens. Some people prefer to feed canned food when they are home and leave out some dry food during the day for snacking on.

You can leave canned food out in a bowl all day. It won't spoil because it's a cooked product. It may get dry but most cats are ok with that. You can even use a programmable timed feeder to give your kittens meals throughout the day.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It takes my Tuff about 3 visits to his dish to finish his 3 oz can. In about 1 hour it's all gone. He's almost 3 and gets fed 3 oz twice a day.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed wet food in the morning, before i go to work, i do leave it until i come home for lunch, it is normally all gone by then. I did switch to smaller 3 oz cans, because i had a lot of waste with the larger cans, and my guys do not like it out of the fridge, at all. I do the same when i get home in the evening, then pick up the plates at bed time, they are normally empty. But i also free feed Dry food, so they can nibble little bits of that if hungry. I have fed my cats like this for years, the vet said its fine, and i have never had a problem. I think a 13 week old kitten should have food available all the time, they usually eat a lot at that age :)

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet told me you can leave it out all day, that it won't spoil. I do that now and it is usually gone when I get home, they are getting much more wet food now as I used to throw out whatever they hadn't eaten when I left for work (at 6am).

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My current cat (all wet food) is a 'grazer,' and she only eats a few bites of her food at any one time, but Dr. Lisa Pierson (the cat nutrition vet) says it's OK to leave wet food out for up to 12 hours. I don't leave it that long, but my girl usually has 6-8 hours between feedings, and there have been no problems (I feed the 3oz cans).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never eaten more than half a can each of Friskies at once. So if you're feeding her 3 times a day, that would be a can and a half per day.