Wet food vs Lilly

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So after adopting my kitty Lilly I had always planned on feeding her a mix of wet and dry food for budget reasons, she eats her dry food just fine and she enjoys wet food just the same HOWEVER, anytime I feed her the wet food she seems to have a horrible stomach reaction to the point where my husband won't even allow me to feed it to her anymore. Is this normal? Could it just be the type of wet food she is getting? None of my other cats have ever done this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She eats Merrick for dry anf Fancy Feast for wet

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea, it might be something in the Fancy Feast.  Which variety of FF are you feeding Lilly?  I feed FF to my two kitties, but only the Classics (pate style).

The list that @missmimz  linked to is a great one, I refer to it often :)

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yea, it might be something in the Fancy Feast.  Which variety of FF are you feeding Lilly?  I feed FF to my two kitties, but only the Classics (pate style).

The list that @missmimz  linked to is a great one, I refer to it often :)
Oh good catch, I didn't see that she didn't say what type of FF she's feeding. I feed the FF classic too to one of my picky cats and she doesn't have any issues with it. The non-classic versions have wheat gluten in them which can really upset tummies. 

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem but with dry food. Which turns her poos to liquid. After trying a couple of brands i am just feeding her wet now.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She originally was eating the Kitten version of Fancy Feast and then I switched her to the Classic ones, but still was having diarrhea. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She originally was eating the Kitten version of Fancy Feast and then I switched her to the Classic ones, but still was having diarrhea. 
Get her on some probiotics. Kittens have very sensitive digestive systems and get tummie issues easily. Probiotics are totally safe and make a huge difference. Here's a list of ones you can buy or order and the dosing for kittens. Just mix it into her wet food. Be patient, it can take a few days for things to settle. 

http://www.ibdkitties.net/probiotics/

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she need probiotics if the only reason her stomach gets upset is the Fancy Feast food?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she need probiotics if the only reason her stomach gets upset is the Fancy Feast food?
I personally believe all cats benefit from probiotics, but most especially kittens that have sensitive digestive issues. I give almost all my cats probiotics daily. Switching her food is probably a good idea, but either way she'd benefit from the addition of probiotics while her system is settling down. There is a very good write up about all the benefits of probiotics on the link I gave you, worth reading. 

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the last time I tried the Fancy Feast Lilly was still dealing with her Giardia, I am wondering if I were to try FF Classic Pates she could handle it now that she has been treated and cleared of any parasites.. I guess my real question is with my budget what other kinds of wet cat food could I offer Lilly that might not upset her tummy as much..

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, the last time I tried the Fancy Feast Lilly was still dealing with her Giardia, I am wondering if I were to try FF Classic Pates she could handle it now that she has been treated and cleared of any parasites.. I guess my real question is with my budget what other kinds of wet cat food could I offer Lilly that might not upset her tummy as much..
FF classic is usually well tolerated. It's a "lower quality" food but it doesn't contain fillers like veggies or anything weird like wheat gluten that can give cats tummy issues. Just look for foods that contain meat as the first ingredient, and don't have wheat gluten in them or a lot of veggies. On the lower end FF classic is probably the best of them, Friskies pate turkey and gilbet is okay as well. If you have a Tractor Supply near you they sell a brand called 4health which has a few varieties that are grain free. Mid-priced foods would probably be something like Merrick, wellness, Pride by instinct, Instinct. My cats really like the Merrick LID foods, which are very simple and easy to digest. Good luck. 

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I think we will give FF a go again, and Merrick wet as well. Is it okay to rotate different wet foods?

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She only has the problem with the wet food? She doesn't have diarrhea in general? Is her stool free of the giardia now? I noticed that the chicken Fancy Feast has fish in it now. I wonder if other varieties also have fish and if that is what is poorly tolerated.

Since she was dealing with giardia, it's even a stronger case for probiotics. Vets also have fortiflora that can be sprinkled on food and that helps restore good gut bacteria.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its only the wet food that ever upsets her tummy, she does great with her dry food, and her stools are back to normal as well. She finished her treatment last week for the Giardia. She has only ever had the Kitten FF which was Turkey i think, and then Chicken Classic FF. I will research the probiotics for sure.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Would these be a good option for Lilly? She is 4 months old if that matters at all.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm by far an expert, so I would suggest consulting a vet. :)  One of my kitties is currently taking Proviable DC (with food) once a day, though.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would these be a good option for Lilly? She is 4 months old if that matters at all.
Digestive enzymes are good but they aren't the same thing as probiotics. I used this one 
but this is also a very popular one 
Forti flora is also popular, but it's not that strong so YMMV, however most cats love the taste so its easy to sprinkle on food. 

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everything Ive read about probiotics say they are for kitties with soft stools and diahrrea, and ibs. Neither of which Lilly has...