Wet Food Switchup

NixsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! New to the site and need some advice. My cat has a kidney disease and requires special foods. We've been using Royal Canin Renal Support D wet food cans to support a dry food diet. Unfortunately, Amazon is now pricing a 24pk of those cans at $150 with shipping.
I was hoping to get some help finding a suitable replacement that is available through Amazon. Pic is the food that has become too expensive. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's outrageous! I would research what Amazon has and go by the ratings, (stars). Read what other people have to say about the product. I have not been led wrong yet by the ratings!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all! New to the site and need some advice. My cat has a kidney disease and requires special foods. We've been using Royal Canin Renal Support D wet food cans to support a dry food diet. Unfortunately, Amazon is now pricing a 24pk of those cans at $150 with shipping.
I was hoping to get some help finding a suitable replacement that is available through Amazon. Pic is the food that has become too expensive. Thanks in advance.
That's not Amazon's pricing. It's the third party seller's. Anyone can sell through Amazon if you set up an account. It's not cheap to do so and this seller is charging a premium because Amazon themselves doesn't have it. I see it all the time. Are you in the US? If so, Petco has it

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...al-support-d-morsels-in-gravy-canned-cat-food

So does Chewy

https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-renal/dp/118331

Both offer subscription pricing.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been able to keep my guy at stage 2 for over 3 years with a good quality commercial raw food, and high quality wet food like Rawz. My vet thinks that good quality protein is the key not reducing protein intake.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a product isn't sold by Amazon themselves, it's basically a marketplace like eBay, so you have to be careful about 3rd-party sellers. If Amazon was selling it themselves before, keep it in your favorites and check back now and then to see if they have it back in stock.

But, yeah, I think Chewy is more reliable when it comes to pet food so it would probably be better to transfer the prescription over to them.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you live? If you are not from the USA (I'm not) there are almost most certainly options available in your own country or at least from a closer country.

Also if you need a specific food for kidney issues and Royal Canin isn't available where you live, you can try the same/similar food from another brand that is available where you live.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been able to keep my guy at stage 2 for over 3 years with a good quality commercial raw food, and high quality wet food like Rawz. My vet thinks that good quality protein is the key not reducing protein intake.
Yes, this is the conclusion I came to when we had a kidney cat, too. She had other ailments that ultimately got her first but in the brief months after her diagnosis her kidney numbers did improve on a diet of wet commercial foods on the low end of the phosphorus charts. (I used the charts on Tanya's site that LTS3 linked to above.) Weruva makes a lot of foods that are low in phosphorus and high in good meat protein, plus Brooksie really liked them and ate them. Steak Frites, which is very low in phosphorus for a commercial food, was her favorite.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I cannot send reply...so will try this...
Perhaps try Hill's brand...I know if you sign up for emails, they send coupons...good luck!

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps try Hill's brand...I know if you sign up for emails, they send coupons...good luck!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking at that price you should be able to get it cheaper at your vets? I'm looking at see it at Chewy.com. Can you order from there? https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-renal/dp/118332

Also if I'm not mistaken, any of their renal supports are good they are labelled D, E etc. (I actually have a can of E on my counter...lol). They are just different tastes for different cats. Unfortunately, there was a time I had to deal with kidney disease in my beloved Raggie Jasper :sniffle:.