Wet Food Safety

Kat Daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took wet food I opened yesterday out of the fridge to feed my 6month old kittens. It was refrigerated so very cold. I realized an hour later that I'd forgotten to put it back in the fridge. It still felt kinda cool to the touch so I put it back in the fridge. Now it's eating at me as to whether or not that food is still safe for my Kittens. Would anyone know the answer to that question? I have looked everywhere and I'm seeing tons of info on freshly opened can time limits but nothing on cold refrigerated time out limits. It's an almost full can of Blue wilderness chicken grain free that I put in a glass bowl with lid yesterday to refrigerate the unused portion. I'd hate to throw all that food away but I don't want to make my Kittens sick either. Is cold refrigerated wet cat food in a cold refrigerated glass bowl still safe after sitting out for one hour? Ty in advance for all replies.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is recommended for human food to not go more then 2 hours. i would say the cat food probably has about the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat Daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is recommended for human food to not go more then 2 hours. i would say the cat food probably has about the same time.
Ty, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply but I'm afraid to take a gamble on probably.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand just trying to help!

"Cooked food sitting at room temperature is in what the USDA calls the "Danger Zone," which is between 40°F and 140°F. In this range of temperatures, bacteria grows rapidly and the food can become unsafe to eat, so it should only be left out no more than two hours"

Kat Daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok now that makes me feel a bit better. So two hours from refrigerator and back should be ok. Great I only left it out an hour so it should be ok. Tyvm you have helped me and my boys tremendously.

Kat Daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ty all for your replies. I did not expect such quick responses. You have all put my mind at ease.This site is awesome!
Thx again to all of you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An hour out of the fridge isn't going to harm a cat. Neither is leaving canned food out all day in a timed feeder which I have done before, IMO.