Wet food giving cat diarrhea

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat has been on wet food for about 2 months now as kibble was making him vomit and he didn't digest it properly. Ever since he's been on wet food (Merrick grain free purrfect bistro) duck, turkey & tuna flavours as he doesn't like chicken or other fish at all. I have noticed his stool is fine sometimes and other times it's pretty runny some days, today is one of those days and he won't stop licking himself clean now. Should I try a different brand or should I discontinue the wet food and try a different kibble?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat has been on wet food for about 2 months now as kibble was making him vomit and he didn't digest it properly. Ever since he's been on wet food (Merrick grain free purrfect bistro) duck, turkey & tuna flavours as he doesn't like chicken or other fish at all. I have noticed his stool is fine sometimes and other times it's pretty runny some days, today is one of those days and he won't stop licking himself clean now. Should I try a different brand or should I discontinue the wet food and try a different kibble?
I noticed as well that he sometimes gets poop stuck halfway in his bum too, not the fur because it's shaved there, which is a sign they say of constipation but he is going everyday and doesn't eat dry food anymore. What could this mean?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt sincerely that wet food in general is the issue, and Merrick Purrfect Bistro foods aren't loaded with a lot of fillers, so I am surprised they would be problematic. But some cats just don't do well on certain brands of food, so you might want to try some other canned foods and see what happens. The other thing to do is check to see if there is a particular flavor that might be causing the loose stools. Maybe he doesn't do well when he eats duck, for example?

Poop being stuck on his bum doesn't necessarily mean constipation, especially since you say he periodically has loose stools. It could be from the loose stools. Does he go outside? If it is not one of the food flavors, maybe he is getting into things outdoors that might be what is causing the occasional loose stools?

It is highly likely that he was eating the kibble too fast which can cause vomiting, and if he was getting sick shortly after eating, that would cause the food to look undigested/improperly digested.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had some issues if fed Merrick too frequently. You might try some similar foods and rotate and see if they firm up. There's a lot of water in them I find in comparison to other foods I've tried.

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt sincerely that wet food in general is the issue, and Merrick Purrfect Bistro foods aren't loaded with a lot of fillers, so I am surprised they would be problematic. But some cats just don't do well on certain brands of food, so you might want to try some other canned foods and see what happens. The other thing to do is check to see if there is a particular flavor that might be causing the loose stools. Maybe he doesn't do well when he eats duck, for example?

Poop being stuck on his bum doesn't necessarily mean constipation, especially since you say he periodically has loose stools. It could be from the loose stools. Does he go outside? If it is not one of the food flavors, maybe he is getting into things outdoors that might be what is causing the occasional loose stools?

It is highly likely that he was eating the kibble too fast which can cause vomiting, and if he was getting sick shortly after eating, that would cause the food to look undigested/improperly digested.
I will def try a different brand to see, thanks! Also we took him off kibble because he had some inflammation in his pancreas, he was also very dehydrated and constipated on it, I heard wet food is a better option to feed cats but ever since he's been on wet food, it feels like it's beem problem after problem, he has stopped vomiting though, and he is more playful as well I noticed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
R Rshep there is an adjustment period for it. He's not used to having that much water. You can try a bit of cooked unsweetened pumpkin to firm up the poos.

Since there's so much more water in wet food, it's normal for poos to be softer at first and equally normal that you are noticing him being more playful! That's because he is better hydrated and eating food that's easier to digest.

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
R Rshep there is an adjustment period for it. He's not used to having that much water. You can try a bit of cooked unsweetened pumpkin to firm up the poos.

Since there's so much more water in wet food, it's normal for poos to be softer at first and equally normal that you are noticing him being more playful! That's because he is better hydrated and eating food that's easier to digest.
He used to love pureed pumpkin but now he won't touch it, that is true too, thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know whenever I give Delilah anything with fish in it, she has loose, smelly stools. I can't even give her fish oil. And for some reason I can't give her Wellness brand at all.

madkiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You describe the symptoms we had with our adopted, undersized cat. We had the vet test for any and all food intolerances and it turned out she could not eat anything with chicken in it. Chicken, chicken fat, chicken meal or chicken flavor.

Once we had honed in on the problem and found a wet food without any chicken or chicken-based ingredients she put on weight, stopped inappropriate defecating, vomiting and had normal bowel movements.

Vets told us that a surprising number of cats can actually have issues with chicken. Some cannot eat beef, turkey or other protein source. I'd try to work out what is upsetting kitty's tummy before blaming a brand.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had changed 2 cats with terrible ibd to Instinct LI Rabbit dry some time ago. It's been the only thing to stop their puddle poop. After being one the dry for a little with great response, I bought the wet version to give them as well.
Wow! Instant bowl problems again. Thinking it was something in it, a rep at Chewy suggested Evanger's wet rabbit. Again, instantly back to the puddles.
That stuff had only 3 ingredients!
Rabbit, water, & one of those gums. I know there's 3 main ones I just don't recall which it was.
Turns out both of my cats are allergic to those gums that are flour in all wet cat food.
Just telling my tale I case yours might be the same. They can be allergic to the strangest things.
Fun!