Wet Food For Pregnant Cat

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a pregnant cat that I took in. I've read and been told to put her on kitten food and she's eating kitten dry food just fine but she barely eats any wet canned food at all. She has eaten the Weruva, FussieCat and Earthborn canned foods that are shreds or big meat chunks in jelly. She went nuts for a can of Weruva salmon last night and ate the whole can. She's never finished a can before. I'm happy she's eating some wet food. I'm not so happy that it's fish that she goes for and she won't eat kitten food.

Is there a kitten food that is not pate? Or can someone recommend a kitten pate or mousse that fussy eaters will go for?

I've tried wellness, blue, royal canin (mother and babycat), and fancy feast but she takes a few bites and leaves it.

She's heavily pregnant and since she was outside we have no idea how far along she is or what she was eating before.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason kitten food is recommended is because it's high in protein. Weruva is also usually high in protein (actually higher than a lot of kitten foods) so it's probably fine to feed. Have you tried the chicken weruva flavours, like the cats in the kitchen cans?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought it was about taurine too? Does kitten food have more taurine than adult food?

Yes, she had some of the cats in the kitchen chicken. She ate almost half of half a can which is more than she eats of any pate.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was about taurine too? Does kitten food have more taurine than adult food?

Yes, she had some of the cats in the kitchen chicken. She ate almost half of half a can which is more than she eats of any pate.
I don't think so. You can always look up the guidelines on the AAFCO website.
If she likes cats in the kitchen, the chicken-frick-a-zee and fowl ball ones don't have fish in them and the chicken one is very high in protein for a commercial wet food (they might have fish oil - but that's not so bad).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That helps a lot!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a big fan of Weruva, and i think its fine for kittens. Young kittens i might chop some of the bigger shreds up a little?
my guys also like Tiki cat, especially the after dark, fussie cat super premium foods, and against the grain, almo nature the complete meals, and Earthborn. many of these are low calorie, so i do supplement with a good dry. I use Dr. elseys chicken. the kibble is small sized so kittens should be ok with it too.

I have a fish loving cat too. Chewy recently came out with American journey, they have a minced poultry and fish variety pack, and a minced poultry variety pack. i ordered both, as i have been trying to get my guy to eat anything but fish. i also got a big bag of pure bites. I started feeding him the minced poultry and fish flavors, topped with pure bites. then i gradually started feeding him the poultry only flavors, still topped with pure bites. Worked like a charm, he will eat either one now, as long as sprinkled with pure bites :) now he does still prefer his Catalina catch, or Monterrey medley, and i do still feed it several times a week, but he eats a lot more poultry now :)

Royal canin does have a minced kitten food, i fed it some when my guys were young. They all really liked it, and i still get a can for them occasionally as a treat.

if you leave dry out for them, and want a kitten food, mine always did well with Merrick kitten food, dry. In the pink bag. I think it would be fine for mom and kittens to eat it. Right now i would just feed her what she likes, once she is settled in, and the kittens are born, then you might try to feed less fish?

Last edited: