Wet Food Fed Out Of The Fridge

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normallly take the wet food a couple of hours out of the fridge before giving it to Sombra thinking she shouldn't eat it so cold but I have noticed that she prefers it cold, i.e. immediately out of the fridge. should I let her eat it so cold?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Inlet Olive eat her food cold. She’s not picky. If it’s Pate I add a little warm water, and if it’s morsels I warm the bowl with hot water and serve the food cold.

If I’m running late I don’t even warm the bowl. I believe it’s perfectly safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you KarenKat. I understand then that by "cold" you mean straight from the refrigerator?
That is how Sombra likes it better.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, straight from the refrigerator. I don’t wait at all for it to warm up, and while I don’t think Olive likes it better, she doesn’t really seem to mind at all.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Two of mine will eat their food straight from the refrigerator; one of them won’t. It doesn’t seem to matter unless your cat doesn’t like it cold. Iris has a sensitive stomach so if she does eat it cold, which is rare, she regurgitates it shortly after. For canned food, I get it out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before I feed them. If Sombra will eat it cold, that’s a lot easier and shouldn’t make a difference!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Tobermorey. It is the canned food (paté) I'm talkng about. Sombra eats ALL of the portion I give her straight from the refrigerator while she always leaves some in the dish when I have taken it out of the fridge a couple of hours before.
I will then let her have it the way she likes best.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's totally safe! As long as you put it in the fridge after opening and did not let it sit out for hours and hours before refrigerating. :)

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't get you Richard2121! Do you really mean they don't eat the food from the refrigerator?
Mine doesn't either! I have to warm it up and add hot water to it to *maybe* entice Lydia to eat a can that's been in the fridge!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm quite happy that Sombra prefers her paté straight from the refrigerator, I just wanted to be sure that it was not harmful for her to eat food so cold. I'll let her have it the way she likes it better.
Thanks for your replies.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I scoop my leftovers into little snack sized plastic baggies. When it's time to serve, I run the baggie under hot water for a little while. It softens the food up and makes it easier to lick out of the dish. Mine have trouble eating sticky cold food.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The canned food I give to Sombra is in the form of paté with a variety of ingredients (chicken, turkey, liver, etc). It is not sticky at all. It is wet enough, it doesn't need any water addition. Besides I keep her water dish permanenty full and she drinks a lot. Once I open a can for her I place it in the refrigerator until the next feeding is due. I have noticed that she appreciates it better after the can has been in the refrgerator than when it is initially opened.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normallly take the wet food a couple of hours out of the fridge before giving it to Sombra thinking she shouldn't eat it so cold but I have noticed that she prefers it cold, i.e. immediately out of the fridge. should I let her eat it so cold?
All of my kitties eat food straight from the fridge. Mostly I've not seen any issues with that, however.....

Iris has a sensitive stomach so if she does eat it cold, which is rare, she regurgitates it shortly after.
o_O I never even thought of this. I've two that have more sensitive tummies. I never even suspected this could be a possible contributing factor. I will warm the food and watch to see if it helps.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I've two that have more sensitive tummies.
Off topic but quickly...I also have to split her morning meal into two portions given about 30 minutes apart. She barfs up her morning meal three or four times a month. (She never loses her evening meal.) And one more thing: She’s also doing it less now that she’s on probiotics.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Off topic but quickly...I also have to split her morning meal into two portions given about 30 minutes apart. She barfs up her morning meal three or four times a month. (She never loses her evening meal.) And one more thing: She’s also doing it less now that she’s on probiotics.
Have you tried an elevated dish? Sir used to barf up every meal unless I split into portions, but someone told me that an elevated dish helps some cats. Something to do with lining their esophagus up better. He hasn't thrown up once since I started using this one.

I think it's more comfortable for him too. I actually bought two, but my butterfingered self dropped one and broke it. That left me with one elevated bowl and one not, and he ALWAYS goes straight for the elevated one.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried an elevated dish?
I tried elevating her dish, and she gave me "The Look" and walked away from her food. She's not the most food-motivated cat in the world and if anything is different, she flounces away. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was surprised to learn that Geoffrey does not mind cold food. He prefers a room temp fresh can, but he does not refuse the refrigerated food.

I do add a bit of warm water to it..

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vega doesn't mind if it's Whole earth farms or Fancy feast but will not touch if it's Go or Holistic even after warmed up.