Wet food dilema

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since feeding mainly or all wet food to cats is more healthful I've been really trying to get Smidge to eat more wet, but to no avail. She is a carb junkie! (dry food)

She'll eat a few bites only and maybe lick the gravy all up. I've been at this for six mns so I dont see it changing anytime soon.

Dilema: the only semi-success I've had - she will eat either seafoody stuff or low quality wet. I push the Nutro chicken or turkey mostly, but same results. She loves Meow Mix cluck-a-doodle-do (or whatever it is called) or Nutro salmon sometimes. I try to keep the fishy stuff away from her except on rare occassions b/c of the negative stuff I've read, and the Meow Mix pouch I mentioned has tuna in it (I believe). If I'm desparate and of food and only had like Fancy Feast available, she'll eat it sometimes. Sooo....do I feed her potentially bad stuff (poor quality/seafood) that she will actually eat, or have her eat hardly anything of more quality stuff?

Which is better of the two choices?

Thank you.

amyh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you could actually try is getting her going on the not-so-great stuff so she gets used to eating the wet food, then VERY gradually switch her over to the "good stuff" by adding it into the not-so-good stuff (while slowly decreasing the not-so-good stuff). If you do it slowly enough, she may not even notice the transition.

We've got the same problem with one of our boys...got 5 of the 6 converted to wet, but Noah is quite the hold-out.....

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a problem finding something Marlee liked in wet food too! Have your tried the kind thats not chunks of meat, but like a pate I think its called? I got that suggestion from here, and when I was at PetCo yesterday I picked up some kitten Nutro pate in chicken and something else, and she seems to like it! Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

Since feeding mainly or all wet food to cats is more healthful I've been really trying to get Smidge to eat more wet, but to no avail. She is a carb junkie! (dry food)

She'll eat a few bites only and maybe lick the gravy all up. I've been at this for six mns so I dont see it changing anytime soon.

Dilema: the only semi-success I've had - she will eat either seafoody stuff or low quality wet. I push the Nutro chicken or turkey mostly, but same results. She loves Meow Mix cluck-a-doodle-do (or whatever it is called) or Nutro salmon sometimes. I try to keep the fishy stuff away from her except on rare occassions b/c of the negative stuff I've read, and the Meow Mix pouch I mentioned has tuna in it (I believe). If I'm desparate and of food and only had like Fancy Feast available, she'll eat it sometimes. Sooo....do I feed her potentially bad stuff (poor quality/seafood) that she will actually eat, or have her eat hardly anything of more quality stuff?

Which is better of the two choices?

Thank you.
Amazingly meow mix pouches fall into the I will feed on occation... most have no by product , no corn they due contain varieing amounts of a pres that I am not found off ... Nutro is good ... I have given fish to all cats and one died at 19 , one is 17 ... just dont give human tuna is high quantities...

My girls like all these
Nutro
Natural Balence
Pro Pac
Meow Mix
Authority
Blue Spa
Merrick

tabitharose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Find this very interesting as here we are generally in agreement that a dry food diet is better for cats than wet food (I'm in Ireland). Can someone tell me what the thinking is behind the wet food being better? my cat eats mainly wet food & at her age I am not going to try & change her diet (she's 15)
Thanks

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I got my cats off the dry was I slowly got them used to cooked chicken. Then, I started putting just a TINY bit of wet ON the chicken. I decresed the chicken while increasing the wet until it was only wet.

I have one REALLY picky cat who will only eat two brands of wet. So, since he is SUPER picky, I'm reccommending Evanger's Holistic Pheasant which he LOVES. I've heard that virtually no cats reject it.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fishy catfood is fine for cats if it is a good brand. It is just seafood on its own that does not have enough nutrients, the same for any plain meat or poultry. So if she likes salmon or tuna catfood give it to her regularly.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I now completely steer clear of fish for my cats. Having just read Silent Snow by Marla Cone (the slow poisoning of the Arctic). This book was a real eye-opener a true story about all the toxins in the oceans, and in the fish and how all these toxins are ending up in the breast milk of the arctic natives, as well as in polar bear cubs. No more fish for my cats, or my family after that read-

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I now completely steer clear of fish for my cats. Having just read Silent Snow by Marla Cone (the slow poisoning of the Arctic). This book was a real eye-opener a true story about all the toxins in the oceans, and in the fish and how all these toxins are ending up in the breast milk of the arctic natives, as well as in polar bear cubs. No more fish for my cats, or my family after that read-
That's interesting, MA, but personally, I don't think that seafood can possibly be that much worse than the horribly infested beef and poultry we eat. Today, everything has synthetic hormones, methane, other pollutants, antibiotics, other drugs, steroids...you name it. Although I'm sure mercury poisoning is worse in fish. I just wish I could find some sort of meat product for these cats that ISN'T a major source of toxins.

As for me, no meat. It's just too risky and unhealthy.