Wet cat food shopping/trials - Rawz, Hounds & Gatos, Dr. Elsey's

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to find a pate food for my female kitty. At present, she is eating Ziwi Rabbit and Lamb, but I am having to push it through a sieve due to the sharp bone shards and her preference for smooth pate (with the bones, mashing it with a bit of water does not work). Other flavors of Ziwi either constipate her (beef) or cause loose stools (lamb, venison). I am also not keen on all the chickpeas in this food. Before she rejected her previous food, her poops were not nearly as huge. On Ziwi, it is like she her body is using less and all of those chickpeas (with 25% carbs on a dry matter basis) just end up in the litter box - and I also think her tummy does not feel right after eating it (sometimes will cry when sleeping or I will hear her tummy gurgling pretty loudly), especially since it is pretty much her sole food at present (except when she will eat a bit of Just Juicy chicken).

I have been considering trying Hound & Gatos, but (a) I am aware that many cats do not seem attracted to it and (b) I have no stores around who carry it (like not even in my state), so it would mean ordering a full case - and there are reviews on Chewy of textural changes and cats likely it less with the sourcing shortages, and some of the flavors are apparently now manufactured in Ecuador. I would appreciate any experience anyone here has to share with that brand.

I have a store in the area (though a 30-min drive) that I think might carry Dr. Elsey's canned food, but recent reviews on Chewy sound like it may have changed and cats might not like it as well as before all of the sourcing issues.

I did a trial with Rawz twice in the past. I think some of their flavors caused constipation, but I am willing to try it again, as I think she liked it really well. Plus, I can order $50 worth of single cans, a variety of flavors, on Incredible Pets.

FYI, she is 13 years old now, so I am trying to at least choose flavors with lower phosphorus for kidney protection (or if she loved one and did well on it with higher phosphorus like Rawz duck, I would try to mix it with the Rawz beef, either in the same meal or in another meal throughout the day, or maybe even the Lotus Just Juicy Venison chopped very fine.

All three of my cats get diarrhea with any guar gum, locust bean gum, xanthan gum. They are also sensitive to too much oil (tuna, sunflower), though do better with salmon oil. Agar agar seems well tolerated - but maybe not so many peas/chickpeas as in Ziwi, though my research says that fenugreek seeds in Rawz are like baby legumes, but I was thinking that flavors with lower carbs like Duck might have less.

Sorry for the long post. Everyone here is always so helpful. I always appreciate any suggestions or input. I have never tried Feline Naturals. I know it is expensive (like Ziwi is), and the phosphorus levels are pretty high, so I worried about bone content and constipation with it, but I think the store that carries Dr. Elsey's might carry it for me to try. Am I missing any brands to try? Thanks! You guys are great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard of it. I have, of course, heard and read that mice are the "perfect meal" for cats, but Mom always described them as "dirty." LOL! Is it pate? I usually wait to try new foods. It took me like 3-4 years after Rawz came out to try it on my cats. One reason I tend to wait is to see if the company will stay in business and if they have frequent recalls. I will keep an eye on Mouser, though. Thanks for the reply! It's something to consider!

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weruva has a new line of reduced phosphorus pates.... we haven't tried them yet. Look on Chewys.
Good luck, from a cat mom with an entire corner of her kitchen piled with canned cat food...😉

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like the Koha pate. It’s a limited ingredient tho I think it does have agar agar.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you know about Incredible Pets. Great!

Have a look at Mouser. Several proteins to choose from and a clean recipe.
Search: 8 results found for "Mouser"
I'd also suggest giving Mouser a try. I also buy it from Incredible Pets. Mouser's pretty caloric and the phosphorus seems to be around 1.1% dry matter. I can't say our cats absolutely love it but they like it pretty well. They seem to like turkey and chicken better than duck. (I had pet rabbits as a kid so can't bear to feed rabbit...) Mouser's caloric so one can lasts for three meals and they'll eat it three days in a row. (This is a serious feat!)

Good luck! It's hard to find good foods with low carbs, low-to-moderate phosphorus, low bone, no thickeners our cats can't tolerate, and no legumes. (This is why our cats get two homemade meals a day!)

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have experience with all of these foods! But I'm not familiar with any of the phosphorous levels, so please be sure to check before ordering. Most of these brands have had issues with pandemic/supply chain problems and their foods range from few changes (Rawz) to almost being a completely different food (Hound & Gatos). And I bet most or all of them would send you individual cans if you contact them and ask. I've emailed Dr. Elsey's about production and availability and they have been incredibly friendly and helpful.

Rawz is our favorite, followed by Dr. Elsey's. They're the best combination of healthy ingredients and palatability. Rawz has changed very little, some batches have more moisture than others but that has been the extent of it. We started buying Dr. Elsey's after they already made changes so I can't compare, but my cat who eats it loves it (loves every flavor except the pork, that is)! We use both of these brands to mix with new foods to help with the palatability.

Feline Natural is very similar to Ziwi and both my cats (including my picky one!) find it much more palatable than Ziwi. And Feline Natural has new pouches that seem to be even more palatable than their cans. Also, no chickpeas! But they still won't eat Feline Natural by itself, I have to mix it with their favorite foods. They'll happily eat a 50/50 mix of the pouches; they would begrudgingly eat a 50/50 mix of the cans, so the pouches are a definite improvement.
FELINE NATURAL Variety Pack Grain-Free Wet Cat Food, 3-oz pouch, case of 12 - Chewy.com

We used to have a little Hound & Gatos in their rotation pre-pandemic, but their foods seem completely different now. Some flavors would have to be mixed with other favorite foods, but their Gamebird was always a favorite we could serve on its own. I ordered two cases when it finally came back in stock and no one will touch it! I can't even mix a little sliver into other foods, they just refuse to eat it!

One new brand that my cats are liking is Identity Pet Food. Our veterinary nutritionist suggested it for my IBD kitty. I really like how palatable it is and how many different proteins are offered (bison and quail!), and it doesn't have any gums, but it does have carrots and coconut oil and dicalcium phosphate is high in the ingredients list. They have variety packs but they are pretty expensive.
Shop the Best Canned Cat Food | Best Wet Cat Food | Limited Ingredient

To summarize, I'd say the Rawz and Dr. Elsey's are safe bets, the Feline Natural could be a good choice, and maybe try Identity if the phosphorous levels and cost are at decent levels for you. Good luck!!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Natural is very similar to Ziwi and both my cats (including my picky one!) find it much more palatable than Ziwi. And Feline Natural has new pouches that seem to be even more palatable than their cans. Also, no chickpeas! But they still won't eat Feline Natural by itself, I have to mix it with their favorite foods. They'll happily eat a 50/50 mix of the pouches; they would begrudgingly eat a 50/50 mix of the cans, so the pouches are a definite improvement.
FELINE NATURAL Variety Pack Grain-Free Wet Cat Food, 3-oz pouch, case of 12 - Chewy.com
Our cats used to love Feline Natural chicken/lamb food! It's very, very good stuff (worth the money if a cat likes it) but it's been off the menu for some time because one of our cats can't eat green-lipped mussels.
😿

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats used to love Feline Natural chicken/lamb food! It's very, very good stuff (worth the money if a cat likes it) but it's been off the menu for some time because one of our cats can't eat green-lipped mussels.
😿
The Mouser is an interesting-sounding food. I will keep it in the "maybe list."

Until the issues with digestion on Lotus and her refusing it (think the peas in that pate were increased due to supply issues without a label change), I had refused to try Ziwi again because it constipated all three cats badly. Peas were already high on the list, so adding a few more and maybe less meat might not even change the protein on the label, which was low anyway and I am sure included those peas - but at that time, she was eating it with the Just Juicy chicken, so I felt we had some balance with it having high protein and no peas. Also, I had a pet bunny for 8 years. The dogs we had never considered him as anything but a friend - not food! LOL! I avoided all cat food with rabbit in it, but Junie not eating was not an option, and trials of so many foods made her have watery diarrhea.

I also hate having to strain the Ziwi Rabbit & Lamb for basically all the food she eats, and I know there is some waste on literally the most expensive food I have ever fed (and Lotus is not cheap), but she likes it, and it is lowest in phosphorus and lower in fat than any other flavor they offer and does not constipate her. She seems okay with the mussels in it. Funny, yesterday, she actually acted interested in the Just Juicy Chicken her brothers were having, so I gave her two tiny bites. Today, her stools were partly loose, so after being on the Ziwi for about a month, I am guessing Just Juicy is like a NEW food to her system OR her body has gotten used to no gums, including agar now, or the salmon oil. Sigh. Thank you for your reply. There is a chance someone might go to the store that has Feline Naturals tomorrow, so I might get a can to try. If she tolerates it, it could be something to at least offer variety once in a while!

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have experience with all of these foods! But I'm not familiar with any of the phosphorous levels, so please be sure to check before ordering. Most of these brands have had issues with pandemic/supply chain problems and their foods range from few changes (Rawz) to almost being a completely different food (Hound & Gatos). And I bet most or all of them would send you individual cans if you contact them and ask. I've emailed Dr. Elsey's about production and availability and they have been incredibly friendly and helpful.

Rawz is our favorite, followed by Dr. Elsey's. They're the best combination of healthy ingredients and palatability. Rawz has changed very little, some batches have more moisture than others but that has been the extent of it. We started buying Dr. Elsey's after they already made changes so I can't compare, but my cat who eats it loves it (loves every flavor except the pork, that is)! We use both of these brands to mix with new foods to help with the palatability.

We used to have a little Hound & Gatos in their rotation pre-pandemic, but their foods seem completely different now. Some flavors would have to be mixed with other favorite foods, but their Gamebird was always a favorite we could serve on its own. I ordered two cases when it finally came back in stock and no one will touch it! I can't even mix a little sliver into other foods, they just refuse to eat it!

One new brand that my cats are liking is Identity Pet Food. Our veterinary nutritionist suggested it for my IBD kitty. I really like how palatable it is and how many different proteins are offered (bison and quail!), and it doesn't have any gums, but it does have carrots and coconut oil and dicalcium phosphate is high in the ingredients list. They have variety packs but they are pretty expensive.
Shop the Best Canned Cat Food | Best Wet Cat Food | Limited Ingredient

To summarize, I'd say the Rawz and Dr. Elsey's are safe bets, the Feline Natural could be a good choice, and maybe try Identity if the phosphorous levels and cost are at decent levels for you. Good luck!!
Thank you so much for all of the detailed info! The situation with Hound & Gatos is sad. I have not tried it in the past, though, because of the tons of people saying their cats did not seem to like it. Now, it has gotten worse with the texture and some people saying it is just so inconsistent. I have dealt with slight inconsistencies with Lotus. Some Just Juicy is mostly shreds with little broth, and some cans are tons of sauce with much less meat - or the meat is more thick shreds one time and more small, tender chunks in the next case. Fortunately, most of the time, I cats keep eating it, and a dryer can can be mixed with a saucier one or have a bit of water added to help. The numerous reviews were what has caused me to hesitate feeding it right now - maybe when sourcing improves...

I know that the Rawz beef is lowest in phosphorus (and I know she likes beef). I think the Turkey is next lowest and then Turkey and Salmon (though I have avoided fish - in case it caused digestive issues and also in case she ever got SO picky that I would have it as a "surprise" to get her to eat). Still, the only Rawz flavors I had on this last trial were a few cans of Chicken, a couple of cans of Rabbit, and a couple of cans of Duck (all higher in phosphorus) because I used all the beef and Turkey up from that order on the last trial, which I actually was doing that trial for my cat who has always had issues with diarrhea with all gums but agar, but apparently, the only way I can feed him pate of any kind is if it is mixed with shreds to keep him from aspirating and wheezing after he eats - because he can eat pate too fast. Even on bite offered pure causes wheezing. It happened with one bite of the Ziwi, too, but not when mixed with the Just Juicy Chicken Geez! I may order another run of single cans to get free shipping with mostly lower phosphorus.

I think someone might be going to the store that carries Dr. Elsey's tomorrow. According to Tanya's site currently, it looks like the Turkey and the Beef are lower, with the Chicken third at slightly lower than the Ziwi Rabbit & Lamb. I, like you, will have cats who have no reference point on the Dr. Elsey's as far as taste and consistency, and it is pate, which Junie LOVES, so that is a plus, and if not smooth enough, I have an emersion blender!!

Identity looks interesting - not cheap. I have not tried anything with coconut oil, as I was afraid it would cause some of the loose stools we have had with sunflower oil. I can add a bit of Just Juicy Pork or Just Juicy Venison to the Just Juicy Chicken for variety, but if I go overboard, the litterbox always lets me know. It does not look like any stores near me carry it, so it would be an expensive trial buying a case from them. Maybe they will be like Rawz in time and have more places that carry it or might send me samples if I contact them.

Again, this is very helpful. I keep thinking that my cats need more than one food that works! The Rabbit & Lamb is in short supply. Local stores have a few cans when I go there. Ziwi's site is out of stock on nearly ALL of their foods. Chewy is nearly always out of stock on the Rabbit & Lamb, and K-9 Cuisine does not even carry that flavor of Ziwi. My daughter got 4 cans today at our local store, but I was literally in panic about what to feed her tonight if they were out, so I have to take the plunge and do some trials for her. I love this site and the people who take so much of their time to help others who love cats - who can be so "extra" but worth the time with them. :tabbycat:

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd also suggest giving Mouser a try. I also buy it from Incredible Pets. Mouser's pretty caloric and the phosphorus seems to be around 1.1% dry matter. I can't say our cats absolutely love it but they like it pretty well. They seem to like turkey and chicken better than duck. (I had pet rabbits as a kid so can't bear to feed rabbit...) Mouser's caloric so one can lasts for three meals and they'll eat it three days in a row. (This is a serious feat!)

Good luck! It's hard to find good foods with low carbs, low-to-moderate phosphorus, low bone, no thickeners our cats can't tolerate, and no legumes. (This is why our cats get two homemade meals a day!)
Funny you should mention homemade. I have considered boiling chicken to add to the girl's food because the protein level in the Ziwi is lower than I really like, especially given that it has 25% carbs, likely all from peas, so that means that, even if the percentage of protein on a dry matter basis is 45% or 50%, part of that is from chickpeas (and I wonder if they chose chickpeas to combat constipation from the bone content in their foods, as the fiber is 9% on DMB). I have gotten her to eat a snack of boiled chicken since she got pickier, though she wants her smooth pate as a staple.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should mention homemade. I have considered boiling chicken to add to the girl's food because the protein level in the Ziwi is lower than I really like, especially given that it has 25% carbs, likely all from peas, so that means that, even if the percentage of protein on a dry matter basis is 45% or 50%, part of that is from chickpeas (and I wonder if they chose chickpeas to combat constipation from the bone content in their foods, as the fiber is 9% on DMB). I have gotten her to eat a snack of boiled chicken since she got pickier, though she wants her smooth pate as a staple.
Homemade works really well for our cats! I use premixed supplement, Alnutrin, and add liver, fish oil, and extra egg yolk to the cooked meat. A food processor works really well to get a smooth or chunky consistency. I freeze the food in portion-sized containers. I can't say I actively enjoy making cat food but it's the best food the cats eat, it's high in protein, low in carbs, and the cats eat it up. The bone/constipation question is important here, too, so I use a supplement without bone!

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news: Rabbit & Lamb is back in stock on Ziwi!

Original Wet Rabbit & Lamb Recipe for Cats
Yes! :hyper: Thank you so much for sharing this! My local store had 4 on the shelf, but I need enough to keep her supplied through any trials of Rawz and maybe Dr. Elsey's, though I see certain flavors there are in short supply on Chewy, so I will have to try what I can find, I guess. My daughter said she would drive to the store south of here later to see if they carry the cans. I was hoping to not order a full case, but I am not hopeful. The store finder on the Dr. Elsey's website shows no stores when I select the cans. I have noticed that a lot of places only carry the litter.

Maybe I will order some cans of Rawz. At least it seems to be in stock.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I will order some cans of Rawz. At least it seems to be in stock.
It is very good food. If, of course, you cat likes it! Our cats used to go back and forth on the pates but if I only feed it to them occasionally, they seem to like it. They've always loved the shreds, which have a small amount of tapioca, though the dry matter carb number is still under 2% for whatever flavor (a mystery for the ages!) I recently checked.

Anyway, good luck!

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
RAWZ. I wish my cats would eat it, but they just don’t like it. I’ve tried every flavor of the all life stages and no dice. I’ll try the shreds next but am not holding out much hope. They only like 2 of the H&G flavors too. The gamebird and the lam, chicken, salmon. I wonder what it is.

Luckily they love Feline Natural, Ziwi, Instinct, and Tiki After Dark. I’ve started auto ships on those and we’ll see how it goes. They also like Nulo, and some of the Wellness Core Pâtés, Honest Kitchen, and Mouser. We finished testing all life stages and now that Luna is almost 8 months old, we’ve begun testing maintenance formulas. Once that’s done, and we’ve established a good list of likes/dislikes, I hope to begin to move Marley over to raw. She enjoys chunks of raw meat, so that’s promising, but won’t touch commercial raw, or a batch of ground raw I made. So it’s going to take some effort. Luna, the baby, on the other hand loves the stuff! Just recently tested Savage, to huge success with her.

I was a kibble feeder for decades I’m ashamed to say. I thought I was doing the right thing. I’m not used to all these supply chain issues and formula changes with the cans. But clearly I’ll have to learn to live with it. The loss of the Provenance line is very disappointing.

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any of those brands come in big cans. My kitten goes through some many cans.