Wet Cat Food Only 96kcal/can

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if anyone has used Weruva cat food and how many cans per day did you feed your cat? It says 1 oz per pound so that would mean about two cans a day. This food is kinda expensive and was like $34-$36 for 24 cans. That's less than two weeks worth of food. This feels too expensive but I like this brand of food for my cat, she also loves it! But I've seen some people feed their cats one can of food per day. I do sometimes feed her dry food but don't want her to only eat dry food. Advice, please!

Some info about her: She weighs about 10 pounds. She eats twice a day and for the past two weeks, she has been only eating wet food because I ran out of her dry food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most indoor only cats do good on 20 calories per pound. At 96 calories per can and a 10 pound cat, you probably need two cans plus a few treats a day. Which is the same as you are saying they recommending.

More active cats need more, less active cats need less. If your girl is maintaining her weight on less, you don't need to increase the intake. While the cost may feel expensive it is better for your cats health to eat wet food. If she avoids a costly kidney issue or maintains a healthy weight because of the more biologically appropriate diet you save on vet expenses. You can check out PetCo, they have a line called Soulistic that is very like Wuerva but lower cost.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But I've seen some people feed their cats one can of food per day.
One 3 oz can a day is not enough food for any cat. One 5.5 oz can might be enough for some cats but not others.

She weighs about 10 pounds. She eats twice a day and for the past two weeks, she has been only eating wet food because I ran out of her dry food.
General rule of thumb is to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. So a 10 lb cat might need 200 to 250 calories daily. A 3 oz can of Weruva that has 96 calories isn't enough. You would need to feed two entire 3 oz cans plus at least half of a third can daily. Weruva is also available as 5.5 oz can and some are even available as a 10 oz can. Calorie content for the larger sized cans are here: Weruva Classic Cat Nutrition Information - Weruva | Because We Luvya

You can check out PetCo, they have a line called Soulistic that is very like Wuerva but lower cost.
Soulistic and Weruva are made by the same company and both brands are nearly identical :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weruva 5.5 oz cans, which I use is 96 calories which seems really low so she's eating about 11 ounces of food per day at the moment. I will look into Soulistic, thanks LTS3 LTS3

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like that's the Funky Chunky one, chicken soup with pumpkin. It is low for a 5.5 oz can:headscratch: Maybe because it might be more soup (water) and veggies than actual chicken :dunno:

Here's the Soulistic web site HOME

Does your cat like any other brand of canned food?

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While the cost may feel expensive it is better for your cats health to eat wet food. If she avoids a costly kidney issue or maintains a healthy weight because of the more biologically appropriate diet you save on vet expenses.
Thanks for your response and I will check out Soulstice. I had never heard of this brand before. The issue isn't that I don't see the value of feeding her wet food it is that it is not affordable or sustainable for me at $70+ a month. I'm hoping to spend about half that a month which I was when I was using both dry and wet food. Maybe it is unrealistic to want to spend that amount on a "good" wet food and I will go back to half dry but I am hoping to continue with mostly wet food.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like that's the Funky Chunky one, chicken soup with pumpkin. It is low for a 5.5 oz can:headscratch: Maybe because it might be more soup (water) and veggies than actual chicken :dunno:

Here's the Soulistic web site HOME

Does your cat like any other brand of canned food?
LTS3 LTS3 Maybe, I don't know I checked out the soulstice site and the cans are like $15 for 8 cans at 100-130calories so still really expensive. I checked them out on Amazon and they are a little cheaper. My cat has had Friskies Turkey and Giblets she isn't very picky but I don't want to feed her just anything.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feed that brand, but my cats each eat 3/4 of a big 5.5oz can per day, and a little over 1/3 cup of dry each. I actually use my 1/8 cup 3 times per cat for the dry.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed weruva, tiki cat, and almo nature, fussie cat. These are all fairly low in calories. I give my guys 2 cans per day, i like for them to have the wet, for the moisture. But its still not enough calories. I also feed Dr. Elseys dry, to get the additional calories they need during the day. And my guys like both wet and dry. I free feed dry, none of my cats over eat on Dr. Elseys, like they would on some other dry foods, so it works for us. Other dry foods that are more carby i would not free feed, but give as a meal.

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pates are the most cost effective because they are denser in calories, typically. For Olive I mix more expensive brands with less expensive ones. Can you mix in a cheaper food to make up the calorie difference?
I think I will try this!

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If Weruva and Soulistic are too expensive, I'd just look for something cheaper. I personally feed Friskies and Fancy Feast and have no problem with them. If you can go a little higher in price then look for a food that has more calories per can. Merrick is good and kind of middle-of-the-road price wise. Dave's cat food is also good and affordable for most. My budget is really tight so Friskies it is for us.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what i have seen weruva is a very low calorie food. I don't use it since it's not very cost effective. There are many other good brands out there where you can pay a similar amount and get your calories. I only do pates for this reason.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me too. Except for the Friskies Salmon Pate. I was disappointed to see Red 3 in that flavor.
No wonder it has such a color! I picked some up a few weeks ago to see if either of my girls had changed their minds on ff (sorta... :ruminating:) and was surprised by the color of it!