Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Wet Cat Food In Oven

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by DrizzleOfSalt, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DrizzleOfSalt

DrizzleOfSalt Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 4, 2018
    My father accidentally put all our wet cat food cans in the oven and cooked them. They aren't opened though... are they safe for my cats to eat?

2. Tobermorey

Tobermorey TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    Wow. That’s a shame. If it were me, I'd throw them away. Who knows what the application of heat did to the food or the can.

3. duckpond

duckpond TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    I dont know, i would imagine it would depend on how hot he cooked them, and for how long? do you know?

4. hexiesfriend

hexiesfriend TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 29, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Trash them. The smell is bad enough raw can’t image what it smells like cooked in a can ugh!!

5. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Canned food is cooked in the can. I don't think it'll hurt it to get cooked again. Although it would depend how long. Was it just the 15-minute preheating time? Haha, I store pans in my oven and I can't count how many times they've been preheated. If I kept cat food in there I'm sure the same thing would happen.

I guess I'd still use it, unless the cans blew up, but I'd try to use it very quickly.

duckpond and sabrinah purraised this.

6. sabrinah

sabrinah TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 6, 2016
    California
    I don't think it would hurt if it was just a short bake. I don't know if the additional cooking would cause the nutrient breakdown. If the consistency of the food has changed or it looks at all different I would toss it.

duckpond purraised this.

7. DrizzleOfSalt

DrizzleOfSalt Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 4, 2018
    I'm not sure how long he cooked them for I'll ask him as soon as he comes back. I opened one of the cans and it looks pretty normal just that it's slightly drier and its scent isn't as strong.