Wet Cat Food In Oven

DrizzleOfSalt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My father accidentally put all our wet cat food cans in the oven and cooked them. They aren't opened though... are they safe for my cats to eat?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow. That’s a shame. If it were me, I'd throw them away. Who knows what the application of heat did to the food or the can.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, i would imagine it would depend on how hot he cooked them, and for how long? do you know?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is cooked in the can. I don't think it'll hurt it to get cooked again. Although it would depend how long. Was it just the 15-minute preheating time? Haha, I store pans in my oven and I can't count how many times they've been preheated. If I kept cat food in there I'm sure the same thing would happen.

I guess I'd still use it, unless the cans blew up, but I'd try to use it very quickly.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would hurt if it was just a short bake. I don't know if the additional cooking would cause the nutrient breakdown. If the consistency of the food has changed or it looks at all different I would toss it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DrizzleOfSalt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how long he cooked them for I'll ask him as soon as he comes back. I opened one of the cans and it looks pretty normal just that it's slightly drier and its scent isn't as strong.