Weruva

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know lots of you feed Weruva, but it seems to be almost all tuna based. My cats love it probably because of it being tuna based. I will buy the BFF tuna and chicken one once in a while and they gobble it down. I’m afraid that if I were to feed it often, they would stop eating anything that is not tuna based. Those of you who feed Weruva....what kinds do you feed? I really want to try the new pâtés, but they aren’t in the stores I shop at yet (Canada...).
I do like Weruva because it’s lower in calories. My two are a year old but with very different body shapes, so I can feed Weruva to Kaia and something with more calories to Binx.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I only feed the chicken or turkey based one (chicken frick-a-zee).Even those ones smell like fish though cause they’re probably all made in the same facility. My cat who eats it hasn’t stopped eating poultry. Although, I don’t feed the fish based ones.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat hates anything with any fish except salmon so I pretty much am limited. What I do is go to their website and narrow results to Cat Food, Wet, and Fish Free

Wet Food Archives - Weruva | Because We Luvya
You're so practical, mizzely!

We feed mostly the Cats in the Kitchen foods, Fowl Ball, Double Dip, and Chicken Frick-A-Zee. They're gummy but they don't have potato, which we can't feed, plus the cats like them and they're reasonably priced. I do feed an occasional Quick 'n' Quirky. And an occasional treat of something with fish.

We also feed those new BFF Play pates that you can't yet buy, Erin80. But maybe someday!?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva is VERY low calorie too. For some cats that's great, but for others, like my Thirteen, I'm constantly worried she's not getting enough calories.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Weruva is VERY low calorie too. For some cats that's great, but for others, like my Thirteen, I'm constantly worried she's not getting enough calories.
I think the reason for this though is that it’s high in protein. There’s always a trade off between number of calories and amount of fat and carbs in food. The higher calorie foods are usually also higher in fat and/or carbs.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a few from Weruva that don't include fish: Slide 'N Serve: Jeopardy Licious, Truluxe: Peking Ducken and Quick and Quirky, Weruva's BFF OMGravy: Text Me and occasionally Chick/duck from the same line, can't remember the name right now but it's one without tuna. There are a few others that are either beef, lamb or all chicken based that don't include fish, you can view the ingredients on Weruva's site. Also check out Weruva's Soulistic line as there are a few recipes also without any fish.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. One of my cats gets constipated on some of the lower calorie recipes, he needs the fat to keep him regular. There are a few that at least are average fat vs lower fat/calories, Jeopardy Licious is one of them.
Most cats do well on high protein, average fat and low carb diets. Also, neither one of my two cats feel sated on Weruva as the main part of their diet, I just feed it as a before bedtime snack, their regular food is average / above average fat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s hard because my two want to eat 4 times a day. I keep trying to cut one of those out, because Kaia is sort of chubby. However, they ask and ask and ask at the same times every day...and I feel bad not giving in. Binx is a perfect weight and is fine with the 4x a day, but Kaia could lose a bit. They each get around 300 calories a day, which I think is high? Kaia will be a year in June and Binx is just over a year. I’ve been feeding them the same food (splitting a 5.5 oz can), but I almost feel Kaia needs the lower calorie wet foods and Binx needs some of the higher calorie. It’s confusing when your cats are different body styles!

nero-onyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats won't eat any BFF. They're good with Truluxe and Cats in the Kitchen. Mainly poultry flavors but they get tuna or fish once a week. Seems to work for my two guys.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is very low in fat, I only use it as toppers. Some of the weruva is high in carbs so watch out!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it is very low in fat, I only use it as toppers. Some of the weruva is high in carbs so watch out!
This is so worth repeating -- and I'll just add that, based on what I look at and buy, it's some of the pouch foods (at least in Cats in the Kitchen, I'm not sure about BFF) that are relatively high-carb. We feed a chicken/pumpkin pouch every now and then, too, with most of the liquid drained off. (Which is possible since it's just an occasional thing!)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are non-seafood based varieties (not including fish oil) for all the Weruva lines:

Paw Lickin Chicken
Grandma’s Chicken Soup, Funky Chunky
Nine Liver
Green Eggs & Chicken
Chicken Frick 'A Zee
Fowl Ball
The Double Dip
Pumpkin Lickin' Chicken
Quick 'N Quirky
Peking Ducken
On the Cat Wok
Steak Frites
Jeopurrdy Licious
Meal of Fortune
Press Your Lunch!
Chicken Checkmate
Chicken & Turkey Topsy Turvy
Chicken, Duck & Turkey Take a Chance
Chicken & Beef Best Buds
Chicken & Lamb Laugh Out Loud
Chicken Cherish
Chicken & Turkey Tiptoe
Chicken & Duck Destiny
Chicken & Turkey Text Me
Chicken Charge Me Up
Chicken Cloud 9
Chicken & Lamb Live N' Love
Chicken & Beef Be Happy
Chicken & Duck Dream Team

Some of the above are new varieties and may not be in stores yet.

Soulistic is the lesser expensive version of Weruva and made by the same company. The Soulistic varieties are nearly identical to the Weruva ones.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The new pates have some chicken and beef options. The BFF lines- PLAY- has 3 categories, Land/ Sea/ and Land&Sea.

It kind of shocks me that the label says 7-8% protein....that is less than FF (10-11% on some classic cans) but the texture of the new Pate seems to be what Louie loves. Ive only given it to him a few times but he actually finishes his food now.....

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The new pates have some chicken and beef options. The BFF lines- PLAY- has 3 categories, Land/ Sea/ and Land&Sea.

It kind of shocks me that the label says 7-8% protein....that is less than FF (10-11% on some classic cans) but the texture of the new Pate seems to be what Louie loves. Ive only given it to him a few times but he actually finishes his food now.....
The as fed values can’t be compared directly. You have to convert to dry matter basis before comparing.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The as fed values can’t be compared directly. You have to convert to dry matter basis before comparing.
Exactly! The Weruva site has lots of different charts: there should be a dry matter chart so you don't have to do the math to convert.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing I notice is that the moisture % is higher in the Weruva. So they may have lower protein, but the higher moisture content automatically makes it lower. Once you remove the moisture, many of the Weruva are actually higher in protein.

There are only 4 calories in carbs and protein, compared to 9 in fat. So a lower fat food will automatically have less calories, too.

As an example, Fancy Feast Beef and Chicken Classic Pate

Screenshot_20190529-130124.png

Compared to Weruva Meal of Fortune:

Screenshot_20190529-130408.png

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Following that comparison,

Fancy Feast at 78% moisture contains 19 g of dry matter when the moisture is removed. At 48% protein, it contains 9 g of protein per 85 g (2.8 oz can or pouch.)

Weruva at 86% moisture contains 12 g of dry matter. At 57% protein, there's 7 g of protein per 85 g.

Even though the DM protein % is higher for Weruva, there is less "food" in the pouch. You will have to feed more pouches to achieve the same amount of real nutrition as a lower moisture food. If you are going by calories alone, you will need to feed almost twice as much Weruva.

Also 25% carbs is bonkers! That alone would cause me to abandon this food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm actually the Catfooddb is failing us I think. The Weruva site lists their Dry Matter Basis on their website. For the Meal of Fortune they list it at 9.7% carbs!

Weruva Cat Patés Nutrition Information - Weruva | Because We Luvya
Indeed! I don't trust Catfooddb's figures at all! I forget where else it was they failed -- maybe another Weruva? -- but it was also very far from what the pet food company said.

It's really too bad Weruva put the potato starch into those pates! That means I can't feed them and it's probably what raises the carbs a few points over, say, what's in their new BFF pates.