Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been currently feeding my cats Tiki Cat puka puka chicken but they've changed their formula drastically and now my cats are staring at it funny and even spitting out what they took in their mouths and smelling it and looking at it. I noticed that the old ingredients started with "shredded chicken breast" (very important to me) but the new cans say just "chicken" (which could mean thigh or other chicken parts but not necessarily all breast.)
Whatever the reason they are suddenly not having a voracious ball when I call for dinner. I am not happy.
They used to love the Weruva paw lickin' chicken but the romance stopped after several weeks.
I am so irate at the Tiki Cat people for cheapening their product and at a crossroads as to what to do next.
I am thinking of returning to Weruva again to see their reaction.
The thing with Weruva is they refuse to give you concise calorie directions like Tiki Cat does so I have to go by Tiki Cat's directives.
Any suggestions to offer me? My gracious thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The calorie content of Weruva is on their web site: Weruva - People Food for Pets - Nutrition Information

And here: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

You can also try Soulistic. It's made by Weruva and all the varieties are pretty much the same, just with a different name. Paw Lickin Chicken is Soulistic's Good Karma.

Every cat is different so you typically feed enough calories to maintain a cat's body weight. The general rule is 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Some cats may need more or less so feel free to adjust to your cat.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand your frustration re: Tiki Cat. *hugs*

Have you tried any flavors from Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen product line? Buddy got to a point where he wouldn't eat the Paw Lickin' Chicken either, but enthusiastically embraced the Chicken Frick 'A Zee and Fowl Ball flavors. And Fussie Cat has a few non-fish flavors that might tickle your cat's fancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 & Cheesr:
Thanks to your posts I went back to the old drawing board, bit the bullet once again, and gave another try to Weruva paw lickin' chicken and .... they went nuts!
I also noticed that they seemed to have changed the formula since the last time I tried. The chicken at that time was very long strands and the cats didn't like that. Now it seems to have been cut down quite a bit and the liquid was more gravy-like. I also preferred the ingredients in Weruva. The chicken was decidedly white breast as opposed to the change from white breast to just "chicken" listed in the ingredients on the Tiki Cat Luau chicken which means they cheapened it from their original Puka Puka chicken.
Yes, it is going to cost an arm and a leg because we'll have to use more of it but they are our babies and worth every penny.
My thanks and gratitude. (Now let's hope they don't mess with the ingredients at Weruva.)

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The calorie content of Weruva is on their web site: Weruva - People Food for Pets - Nutrition Information

And here: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

You can also try Soulistic. It's made by Weruva and all the varieties are pretty much the same, just with a different name. Paw Lickin Chicken is Soulistic's Good Karma.
I now have a deep and utter aversion to all products for pets that come out of thailand. It appears all the canning and fishing groups have been warned by the US FDA about failures to have good standards in place for quality products.
Weruva and Tiki Cat are on my banned list. And I had issues where the most LOVELY cat suddenly got ill for no reason and died and the vet thought it might be related to Soulistic. Seriously, after Weruva's last failure to handle a bunch of pet deaths attributed to their tuna based products, they are the worst IMHO.
Funny, I fed some cats "junk food" like fancy feast for many years when I was poor. And those cats never had any issues. Weruva and Tiki are overpriced but not true quality IMHO.
I will only buy from Canada/USA/NZ from now on.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I now have a deep and utter aversion to all products for pets that come out of thailand. It appears all the canning and fishing groups have been warned by the US FDA about failures to have good standards in place for quality products.
Weruva and Tiki Cat are on my banned list. And I had issues where the most LOVELY cat suddenly got ill for no reason and died and the vet thought it might be related to Soulistic. Seriously, after Weruva's last failure to handle a bunch of pet deaths attributed to their tuna based products, they are the worst IMHO.
Funny, I fed some cats "junk food" like fancy feast for many years when I was poor. And those cats never had any issues. Weruva and Tiki are overpriced but not true quality IMHO.
I will only buy from Canada/USA/NZ from now on.
Some Fancy Feast cans are imported but cats seem having no issues with it.
Boreal has started producing (partly? ) in Thailand.
What a dynamic world of cat food!:stars:

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some Fancy Feast cans are imported but cats seem having no issues with it.
Boreal has started producing (partly? ) in Thailand.
What a dynamic world of cat food!:stars:
I never fed seafood varieties of fancy feast which apparently were the Thai based imports. I am just so grossed out reading the FDA warning letters against the canning companies. Amazed and thankful there aren't more recalls.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

My kitten has been sick for the past few days and I'm suspecting a link to Weruva Cats in the kitchen. When I first began feeding him this food I noticed it made his stools a little runny. But after a few days of feeding it he became lethargic and would growl and whine if I touched him. Yesterday the vet did an X-ray and said he needed antibiotics to get some bad bacteria out of his system. I don't have definite proof that the Weruva caused it but it is my hunch. I won't be feeding it anymore. I just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone else.

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

My kitten has been sick for the past few days and I'm suspecting a link to Weruva Cats in the kitchen. When I first began feeding him this food I noticed it made his stools a little runny. But after a few days of feeding it he became lethargic and would growl and whine if I touched him. Yesterday the vet did an X-ray and said he needed antibiotics to get some bad bacteria out of his system. I don't have definite proof that the Weruva caused it but it is my hunch. I won't be feeding it anymore. I just wanted to post this in case it helps anyone else.
I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned Cats in the Kitchen. BINGO. This is what I am certain killed a beloved friend's perfectly healthy cat. Since then I have taken my cats off of weruva and thrown it out, save for two cans I have given to my brother who knows people who can test for the food. They will take a long while to get the testing done, BUT I will have results at some point. My friend ran out of her batch of Cats in the Kitchen day before her poor kitteh suddenly died.
Heart condition and stroke were already ruled out she says.
I am aware that Weruva is monitoring all social media so I can not divulge some shocking new info I received today. Lets just say I would quickly sell the company if I were these people. (But I have ethics when it comes to any innocent creature, so I WOULD fix my problem instead)

Prayers and good wishes that your kitten gets well quickly!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys,

I hope your kitten gets better soon! :vibes: