Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup With Pumpkin

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the carbs so high because of the pumpkin? The calories are only 97 for a 5.5 oz can so my cat would eat 2. Is that too much if the carbs are from pumpkin? Giving her canned pumpkin has totally stopped the vomitting.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on the ingredients of the "new" formula, I would guess it was pumpkin along with the peas and tapioca starch?

If it's working for them and they aren't vomiting, I would keep feeding it personally. If you are worried about the carbs, you can give plain canned pumpkin along with a lower carb food, and then feed the Weruva for one meal. When I checked out CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat, I saw it has very high protein, so I really like that. CatFooddb estimates the carbs, and sometimes they are not accurate. Can you contact Weruva and find out the actual values?

Glycemic Index (glucose = 100)
Potato 95
tapioca 85
Peas, green, canned 45
Pumpkin 75
source: Carbohydrates and the Glycemic Index

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Very helpful. I got the info from the food chart by Lisa A. Pierson,DVM
21 carbs from a 5.5 oz can.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Weruva's Peking Ducken? That also has pumpkin, and is only 9.1% carb.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you might also look up fussie cat, super premium. they have a chicken and beef, and a chicken both in pumpkin soup. They are pretty low carb, my cats dont like them for some weird reason. But they look and smell really good.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on the ingredients of the "new" formula, I would guess it was pumpkin along with the peas and tapioca starch?
Yes, and carrot, too! Plus gums can add some carbs, too. (Thank you again to 2BSH 2BSH for writing to Nutro about their foods and finding that out!)

I agree that Peking Ducken might be a good alternative; our cats liked that one but it has potato starch in it.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, and carrot, too! Plus gums can add some carbs, too. (Thank you again to 2BSH 2BSH for writing to Nutro about their foods and finding that out!)

I agree that Peking Ducken might be a good alternative; our cats liked that one but it has potato starch in it.
:hellocomputer::D