Weruva bringing out a new food with even lower phosphorus

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have ordered a 12 pack of the chicken and tilapia in gravy. Fingers crossed. I went for the gravy style since Twyla has turned her nose up at Weruva puréed food before (Press your Lunch).
Twyla tried this today and was not impressed. She ate a few bites but no more. Not an appetite issue as she later snarfed a whole pouch of BFF Devour Me Tuna and Duck in gravy. Hooper made the mistake of leaving his portion unsupervised. :lol: Phosphorus in that is .73 DMA so not bad. Over 50% of her diet is the Purina NF Early Care dry which is around .43 so she can splurge a little! I will try again on a different day with the WX.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised I'm having pretty good luck with this WX line so far with my 12 year old super fussy cat. She's not a big fan of shredded meat (or Weruva in general unless it's a fish based food which I feed occasionally), however, the shredded chicken and chicken/tilapia seems palatable to her. I'm guessing it's the "natural flavor" included in the food. I add a little bit of her freeze dried raw (higher phos and predictably boney, as most commercial raw tends to be, unfortunately), and she laps the food right up, almost cleans her bowl. Since the food is low phos, I'm not too concerned about adding a little freeze dried raw. She's not a kidney compromised/CRF cat (at least not yet per her Nov. 22 CBC), so we'll see how this goes. I'm passing on the WX pate's since those include agar agar.

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 3 birmans didnt like it, but i didnt push it much either. the chicken no fish one. i kept the rest and ill try again. i think i got mine thru amazon.

lunch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is feeding low phosphorus good as a general rule of thumb? I only started thinking about the phosphorus levels of food when my cat developed kidney issues so I don't know if beyond that there's risks involved with certain amounts. Could his CKD have been prevented with a better diet? I'd love to understand this better if anyone is willing to share their knowledge.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I apologize I didn't know what you meant at first :), but yes.

For a couple of examples, --not good from RC;
Royal Canin's Urinary SO dry cat food is 1.26% as fed basis. They don't list phos for their scrip-required canned foods. I did my absolute darndest to get Royal Canin to tell me something, anything, about the phos as well as the iodine but got nowhere.

Hills c/d multicare chicken wet food has 0.74 % phosphorus (dry matter).
In their canned y/d for Hyper-T kitties, their phos is 0.52% dry matter but their iodine is 0.1 ppm (as a side note, felinecrf is more or less ok with this food for kidney kitties. AAFCO regs are 0.5 for phos so that's about as good as it gets for most cat foods, and this isn't a bad level of phos for cats that are in a stage of the disease that can tolerate it).

In any case, I'm like you in that they've managed to obtain an exemption somehow since AAFCO guidelines are iodine at 0.6 % dry matter.

I now this is an older comment that I'm responding to. I got the attached form Royal Canin directly via email, but it was back in August 2021. So, it could very well have changed since then. Not sure if this is what you were referring too or not. It doesn't have the iodine listed, unfortunately.

Attachments

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just looked it up - it is guaranteed analysis. There is a way to calculate that to DM, but I'd have to go look it up - it is on Tanya's web site, somewhere...
Weruva has everything listed on their website and it makes it really easy. Here is the link to the Wx Phos Focus numbers if this helps anyone. You just have to go to whatever food you want to look at and then click "View Product Nutrition Info" and then click on "Detailed Nutrition Information". They have it all listed for all of their foods.