"Werewolf Cat" - The Lykoi

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy,

I have seen some of the Lycoi cats and a very interesting presentation.  I hope to work with them as we move along with our studies on different fur traits in cats.  Our lab found the Devon Rex, Sphynx, Selkirk Rex and Cornish Rex mutations.  Many new breeds caused by a new DNA variant are just because someone notices as odd cat and then starts breeding.  All of the above hair variants were oddities found in random bred cats and then developed into breeds.  It takes awhile, and a good eye, to slowly develop the standard and type that you want.  Usually the person who originates the breed writes the "standard" for the breed.  If the cats do not have any health issues, it all moves along if others are enthusiastic.  This reminds me to contact them to get DNA samples from the newer cats!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read that the Spynx started with a moggie litter in Canada that were hairless.  It took many generations of outcrossing to get a healthy gene pool and then a breed that would breed true.

There is another breed that some are hairless and others not called the Peterbald from Russia.  I don't know how common they are.  There used to be a Peterbald breeder here who was from Texas.  The ones that aren't hairless have either a regular coat or a brush coat.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Am I the only one who feels sorry for these new "breeds" of cats?

Surely we have to ask ourselves if there is any advantage to being hairless, or to regularly losing hair, or having short limbs. If there isn't and we are breeding cats that have lost a lot of their natural defences against the elements and other animals we are effectively breeding animals that can not survive without our help. What's going to happen to these cats if they get out of the house, or end up as dumped, unwanted pets? The poor things won't stand a chance.

Just because we can breed cats with these kind of genetic mutations it doesn't mean that we should.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some of them go too far.  The hairless ones don't bother me, of course it's doubly important that they stay inside.  Some of them though are perpetuating unhealthy things.  Very small cats usually come from successive breedings of runts, reputable breeders don't breed the runts of their litters.  I have a problem with the Manx breed, I don't know if we have any Manx breeders here if we do I will hear about this.  They are actually using and trying to control a spinal deformity, that is why the responsible breeders don't breed rumpies together.  If the deformity goes too far then they have what is called Manx syndrome which is incontinence.  Even the ones that don't have full Manx syndrome have more bowel issues and difficult pregnancies.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've heard that. It's a shame, isn't it? We just end up with kittens that can't be homed and end up being euthanised.

Maybe I'm missing the point somewhere. I can appreciate all the varieties of colour, markings and fur length, but other than that I just don't think it's possible to improve on a creature as perfect as the cat.