Were building a deck!!!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in my house for 8 years and we will finally have a deck in the back yard! My Father in Law called and said that he would like to pay for us to have the deck we've wanted. His mom passed several months ago and he got a small inheritance and wants to help us out. I'm super excited!
We're not poor, but unfortunately a deck is not high on the priority list right now even though it would make our yard much more user friendly.
This is also perfect timing, because we just had to have a carpenter ant nest exterminated in our basement, and one of the access points is under the step that needs to be removed to build the deck, so we will have someone who knows what they are doing to help us in that department too!

Anyone want to post their ideas feel free!!!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Jem, that's awesome! Will you guys be doing the deck yourselves or will you have a contractor come in? How big? Congratulations!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Father in Law is sending us the guy who built his deck. He's a friend, but it's what he does so he knows what he's doing, we'll just get a better deal. I want to help and learn, but I guess we'll see if the guy wants my help or not. I may end up just serving lemonade!
For the basic part of the deck, where the cost will be covered by my FIL, I would like it to be 16x20...ish, but it's a floating deck, only about a foot and a half off the ground. No need for stairs or railings or a permit for that matter. There will have to have an angled edge on one side (sort of like if you cut the corner off of a square). simply because of how my yard is. But I will put a stone "landing" that is level with the ground where that angle is, and it will just look like the "entrance" to the deck....I don't know if I'm explaining myself very well. I made plans years ago, so I'll pull them out when they come tomorrow to get a basic "quote" and an idea of what I want, and see if it's possible. Anything else I decide to do like planters and a stone patio for a fire pit I will not be including with what my FIL will pay for...it's just too much, but I'm just glad to get a "base" started.

I don't want anything fancy overall. We'll just used good ol' pressure treated wood. I prefer the weathered grey look of wood over brown shades so we'll stain it on the grey side.

My sister also built a deck recently because she got a pool and she has 9 heavy duty deck blocks left over as they changed a few things while building it. She is going to give them to me, so that's going to save us a little over 100$, if we can use them.

It'll be so nice to have somewhere to hang out in the yard more. All we have currently is a step off the patio doors right onto grass. And I don't know what its like where you live but the second you stand on or disturb grass, the black flies and mosquitoes come out in hordes...it's just not possible to enjoy the outdoors.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good for you! We re-built our deck earlier this year, it's been really nice having an outdoor space to decorate. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of whatever you build.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem