Went to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Yesterday

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm really surprised I haven't seen a single thread about this movie here (maybe I've just missed it). Anyway, we went to see it yesterday, and I was pleasantly surpsied, considering the poor ratings. But I am a HUGE Harry fan, and re-read the book before we went (that's why we didn't go before now), and they stuck to the book fairly well, although it seems they are now about 3/4 thru the book, and this movie is just part 1! But I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Can't wait for part 2!!

Anyone else seen it?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to see it on Thanksgiving weekend.

If you're not a Potter fan, this movie will totally be a mystery to you, but, as you say, it stuck to the book quite well.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saw it with the kids and hubby over Thanksgiving.

Yes it did follow the book quite well. I didn't like it b/c I don't like the "darker" films.

My kids' favorite line from the movie "Dobby didn't mean to kill- Dobby meant to maim or seriously injure"

Cheryl

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I figure I'll wait for it to come out on DVD, even though I'm a huge HP fan. For once my husband offered to go see it with me, but the weather ihas been horrendous here, so once you're in the house you don't want to leave until you absolutely have to.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw it and was going to post a thread on it but never really had the time, it was such a great movie! I really cannot wait for Part 2, I wish it would never end! Such a great adventure, seeing the cast grow up through the movies.

Jackz, Jazzy & Ginga.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH & I are both HUGE HP fans. It's been such an adventure, watching Harry and his friends grow up; it's almost as if they've become a part of the family. We saw The Deathly Hallows last night for the 3rd time. I love the way the movies have become 'darker' over time. It's like Hermoine said at the end of
The Goblet of Fire---"everything's going to change now, isn't it?"
Can't wait for the last installment!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't like the ending.

It kind of reminded me of (and I'm dating myself now) how I felt after seeing the 2nd Star Wars movie. It ended- but it left you wanting more. At least it's only 6 months until the last one.

But I didn't like the ending of the last one either- I loved the description of Dumbledore's funeral in book 6 and wish they'd done something on that level. But then I guess the movie would have been far too long.

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, I thought it was the perfect way to end Part 1...left you completely hanging, thinking Evil was winning (especially if, heaven forbid, you have not read the book, which the couple we went have not
).

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it the Saturday after Thanksgiving with my aunt.. I loved it but hated that you have to wait for the next one. It was getting really, really good!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as I heard the last book was going to be made into 2 movies, I started trying to figure out where the first film would end. I guessed it would end with the death of Harry's little friend (trying not to give anything away). Missed it by THAT much!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havent seen it, nor the 5th and 6th movies either. I used to love Harry Potter when I was in middle and high school, but then he decided he wanted to go through puberty and become a depressed teenager starting in the 5th book, but mostly present in the 6th and first half of 7th, so I stopped enjoying the books. The entire 6th book made me mad, because he acted all whiny the whole time and he was CONVINCED that malfoy was bad the entire book, WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE. I could have looked past that, except that JK Rowling ENDED UP MAKING MALFOY THE BAD GUY. After 500 pages of Harry whining and being emo, I wanted more than anything for Malfoy to not be involved. I have never felt so much spite for a main character as i did during this one book.

Then the 7th book came around, and the whole first half (i.e. what this movie was about) was all about Harry and Ron having a tiff and not talking to each other. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the second half of that book, but the first half was nearly unreadable for me.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping to go this Thursday or Friday - does anyone know if I really should go to the Imax or will the regular theater do well enough? I did enjoy Avatar at the Imax, but not sure all movies benefit from being shown that way. Thanks!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

We went to see it on Thanksgiving weekend.

If you're not a Potter fan, this movie will totally be a mystery to you, but, as you say, it stuck to the book quite well.
i went thanksgiving weekend, as well. i knew it would only be part of the book - thank goodness they shortened the time in the woods! but i wish they'd shown the memorial to the Potters in Godric's Hollow - i wanted to see it! i thought they 'ended' it in a good place, tho.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Harry Potter fiend!
I saw it with my 10yo nephew last weekend, it was really good, and I agree that it stuck to the book quite well. I read the review in the paper before I went (very favorable) and the reviewer said that if you hadn't read the book you'd probably be lost. THAT I would agree with. I forgot how many new characters they introduced in the 7th book!

I also agree that it sucks to wait for the next movie, but I'm the one who tried to make the 7th book last as long as possible by reading one chapter a day (that plan didn't last very long...
). So it's nice to have one last bit to look forward to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I'm hoping to go this Thursday or Friday - does anyone know if I really should go to the Imax or will the regular theater do well enough? I did enjoy Avatar at the Imax, but not sure all movies benefit from being shown that way. Thanks!
I personally don't think it's worth paying extra for the 3D, unlike Avatar, which had so many special effects that 3D was definitely a must.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response - I was kind of leaning that way myself, but you've confirmed it - and, now, more money for catnip! thanks again.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the last movie is already made and in the can, ready for distribution.

Some wag suggest the last book should be title, "Harry Potter and the Strange New Feelings."

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

I personally don't think it's worth paying extra for the 3D, unlike Avatar, which had so many special effects that 3D was definitely a must.
Actually this Harry Potter wasn't in 3D. It was supposed to be, but they canned it a month or 2 before. We saw it in Imax and it's DEFINITELY worth the extra money. There are certain movies I'll see in regular and there's certain ones in Imax, and Harry Potter in Imax is definitely a must!